How to really keep people out of the void

Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
Putting leviathans into the void is just going to make people want to go their to see how far they can get. People may compete to see who can last the longest in the void. The best way to keep people in the playable area is a unpassable natural barrier. If you've ever played the old 2008 game Spore, you may have encountered the giant sea monster (seen here: ). If not, the game has a giant sea monster that will eat you if you leave the playable area. A creature like this is what we need to stop people from entering the void. When entering the void, the PDA could give a message saying "Large leviathan Lifeforms dwell in the depths off of the shoal you currently reside on. Exploration is not advised." Then if the player continues going along, a large creature could come up and eat them (and any vehicles) whole. The player could then respawn in the playable area. This wouldn't be a creature actually moving around, but one that will apears anywhere when the player goes too deep into the void. We don't need to see much. Just the head as it swallows you. It could even be an animation like the one seen at the start of the game.

Comments

• NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
    While this would be spooky as hell (and reminiscent of something I thought of way back when Subnautica first got announced), I don't see any actual reason for this. Keeping people out of the Void isn't an issue, because there's no reason to go out there. You die if you go too far, there's no seafloor, there's no resources, there's no reason to go out there at all.

Plus, if you're terrified of dark open waters like me, you'll be too scared to actually go more than 20 meters away from the edge. Cough.
  • kspiers82kspiers82 Prairieville, Louisiana Join Date: 2017-07-24 Member: 232001Members
    My one Idea is to put an invisible wall on the border of the void and grandreef so they can't try to break the game
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Putting leviathans into the void is just going to make people want to go their to see how far they can get. People may compete to see who can last the longest in the void. The best way to keep people in the playable area is a unpassable natural barrier. If you've ever played the old 2008 game Spore, you may have encountered the giant sea monster (seen here: ). If not, the game has a giant sea monster that will eat you if you leave the playable area. A creature like this is what we need to stop people from entering the void. When entering the void, the PDA could give a message saying "Large leviathan Lifeforms dwell in the depths off of the shoal you currently reside on. Exploration is not advised." Then if the player continues going along, a large creature could come up and eat them (and any vehicles) whole. The player could then respawn in the playable area. This wouldn't be a creature actually moving around, but one that will apears anywhere when the player goes too deep into the void. We don't need to see much. Just the head as it swallows you. It could even be an animation like the one seen at the start of the game.

You mean, the Kraken...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited July 2017
    PolyBend wrote: »
    Any of these ideas would be really cool. However, I am not even sure there is a need to stop people. If they want to go out into the middle of nowhere, let them...

Really... I agree completely.

Why would somebody else going into the void in their own game, bother any other player enough, for them to actually make suggestions to keep anybody from doing so?

smh
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited July 2017
    Meah, if people want to go out into the Void, let them. "People may compete to see who can last the longest in the void." refers to people who know what they're doing, so let 'em try (in all honesty, doesn't sound too bad for a hidden achievement). But I do agree with making sure people who don't know what they're doing get a fair warning when entering the Void. And that warning better be clear (ie, distinguishable in nature from the Dunes warning).

Also, this is a game about scanning every lifeform you encounter. Putting a critter out there you can't scan breaks the game's consistency, even if it's an event-only fellow. At the very least that'd require a precursor download to make up for it.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members

Ghost leviathan will not be the only one there the sea dragon will be there aswell
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    kspiers82 wrote: »
    My one Idea is to put an invisible wall on the border of the void and grandreef so they can't try to break the game

I feel an invisible wall would just be kinda unrealistic. Putting an invisible wall would be dangerous (you could run into it and damage a cyclops) and would ruin the atmosphere of the world
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Also, this is a game about scanning every lifeform you encounter. Putting a critter out there you can't scan breaks the game's consistency, even if it's an event-only fellow. At the very least that'd require a precursor download to make up for it.

Perhas it could be a large version of a already existing creature (a sea dragon maybe?)
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I like the idea of having some dangerous creatures out there as a deterrent, but I don't think that should be all that's out there. Perhaps something natural to keep you at bay, like currents that blow you off course.

But if there is to be only monsters outside the map, I suggest throwing Crabsquid and Lava Larvae into the mix, as they're extremely annoying to deal with when piloting a sub. It would really put people off, I think.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    The simplest solution is just to replace the vertical drop with a muddy or dune like gradual slope into the abyss that is boring.....

Boring is the way to go...

... or any other excuse to remove the 90 degree vertical drop :) Immersion killer that it is!
  • SoreinSorein USA Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204015Members
    What I would like to see at present would be the simple beautification of the current drop off. For the time being think that it should be kept as a drop off that descends far below the current crush depth, but with that said I feel that it needs to look like a true drop off as opposed to the edge of the game map.

The abyssal region below the crush depth could then, in a later expansion that also introduced a new submersible for deeper abyssal exploration, be created using procedural generation (as abyssal plains are by and large just empty mud flats) that have certain locations that are hand crafted (IE: Underwater trenches, biological hot spots around dead reefbacks on the seafloor, thermal vets, etc)... for example they could make a large underwater trench by hand and then populate the abyssal terrain between the trench and the current game map with a procedural algorithm.

In this manner they could create a challenge for end game players by:
    A. Making the empty procedural space large enough that finding the hand-crafted locations would be difficult (at least for those who go without looking on the forum for the coordinates!)
    B. Creating a large distance between old resource gathering locations and the new hand crafted locations such that it would be sufficiently far between the locations as to promote the construction of new supply bases
    C. Creating a power-generation challenge (as procedural abyssal plains would lack thermal resources and would be too deep to implement solar resources players would have to rely on either bioreactor or nuclear reactor power stations for recharging their abyssal exploration submersibles while exploring the abyss)
    D. Requiring the creation and discovery of new abyssal reinforcements to be able to build things that can survive at those depths.
    E. Populating the empty abyssal regions with significantly larger threats than the current leviathans due to the elimination of the need for them to navigate tight spaces. (For example they could make fauna that have a much larger detection range and significantly higher speed that roam the abyss)
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    "You are diving deep into the Void. It is pitch black. If you continue, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue."

The greatest comment in the history of the internet.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    A simple interpretation of the OP title assumes you don't want the player to enter the void at all. If this is the case, the only real solution is a hard barrier like an invisible wall.

However, the void itself already serves as a soft barrier to the world. If we want to keep players from being able to head infinitely far from the edge of the game world (or dive to ridiculous depths) then the solution presented in the OP is valid and provides a nice hidden hard barrier after a certain point without the annoyance of running into an invisible wall.

Additionally, I would like to see the game world be an actual plane with the abyss not being infinitely deep with the entire playable area floating in space like it is now. It could be very deep such that the only way to really reach it would be in creative mode, but there should still be something down there.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    If they want to keep *me* out of the Void, they don't need Leviathans or Sea Dragons to keep me away. Just have waves of "Cutefish" spawn all around me, anytime I try to venture into the deep.

Alterra will find me years later in a catatonic state, mumbling about those horrors of the deep. :scream:
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    Best way to keep players from the void? put up an invisible barrier and then add some generic terrain out 2-3 squares ahead in all directions outside map bounds to make it look like it goes on, add fish and such. make the players wonder what is out there beyond their reach.

also remove the ability to spawn crash fish while parked next to any underwater surface and looking at that surface, that way you can't spawn 100 crashfish and create your own tunnel down and around the barrier.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I agree with the sentiment of "Do we NEED to keep people out of the Void?" Like, if someone spends ten minutes driving off into nothing and sees nothing forever and their reaction is "... Maybe if I spend like an HOUR driving"? Their fault for being stuck out in the middle of nothing and running low on food.
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members

You mean, the Kraken...

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    Killshot after this message? Used to work back in the day :tongue:

mqdefault.jpg
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    You mean, the Kraken...
    RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

Hearthstone: North Sea Kraken

Flavor text: "You have no idea how tired this guy is of being released." :lol:
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017
    The infinite nothing idea for the void is a good idea, but I feel this isn't the best option. It ruins the realism of the map, just like an invisible wall would