Is there a way to run both Stable and Experimental on one machine?

ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
I bought Subnautica using Steam. You can go Experimental with Steam of course, but that would erase Stable. I'd like to use both (with separate save sets), so they can be compared, and if something totally breaks, I'd still have something that works.

Comments

• EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    UWE uses the Beta feature from Steam. To have Stable and Experimental at the same time it would be needed that UWE develops an own feature.

For the Experimental I copy one of my Stable game saves and then i can test with this without disturbing my Stable game save. But yes, i would like also a simple way to switch between both developing branches without downloading all needed data every time i switch to the other branch.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    There are two possibilities that I know of but neither is particularly easy.

1. Once upon a time, I read a post that described how to use sandbox software to run a second copy of any Steam game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=311943358

2. I watched a video by Markiplier in which he said there was some way to edit your save game so you could make the game engine *think* it was from a different version of the game. So, if you were playing a game in a higher version--e.g. experimental, you could possibly edit your save game so it would work with the lower version release version of the game.

Personally, I haven't tried either of these. I post these just so you can have some ideas if you want to research this further on your own.

(The third possibility is the easiest... Second PC and second Steam account. :))