[Bug] Issue Connecting Multiple Thermal Generators

SoreinSorein USA Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204015Members
For my seabase at the Lost River junction I had a power line that connected a pair of thermal generators to the base. Prior to the most recent update this setup worked without any issues, but following the Voice of the Deep update the power line is now flickering between the two generators thus preventing them from accumulating energy. Additionally the maximum power stat fluctuates wildly which would indicate that the thermal generators are in fact disconnecting rather than it simply being an issue of the power transmitter's effect not being shown.

In addition to the setup shown below I have also tried using a Y-Junction in the power line, however, that only resulted in erratic rerouting of the power line between the different transmitters.

Initially upon construction both generators are connected
9B7DA997A9103BECD3C8413DCFC1ADEF973B9ABB

But then one disconnects
D6791BEBD6B94CBC9BEE85BA22BA280A9119450D

Then it reconnects and the other disconnects
BA12F30BACAB3FABBD2477B0C4A62ECCD53A5041

Comments

• naneweernaneweer Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231302Members
    I have this issue too. Two bases now, second smaller base worked fine on just one thermal generator...Then after restarting game... its simply sitting there going on-off-on-off...So I believe that there might be something wrong with the generator code.
  • SoreinSorein USA Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204015Members
    Upate:
    After further testing by removing some power-draining items in the base the thermal generator's power line stabilized after the generators accumulated power. I suspect that changes to the power draw of base due to the latest update resulted in the base drawing more power than in the past and this resulted in it consuming more power than was being produced.

Apparently an empty generator now entirely disconnects from the power line, which results in the maximum power reading inside the seabase also changing which created the illusion that the power line was unable to simultaneously connect multiple generators.

To avoid this confusion in the future I would recommend that generators be programmed such that when the generator is empty it will still remain connected to the power line such that the maximum power reading in the seabase is properly displayed and so that the player can confirm that the generator is still connected to the base but is being overdrawn from.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Maybe add a less bright "powered down" state of the link connecting from the empty generator. At least then you know it's intended behavior and not bugged.
  • SoreinSorein USA Join Date: 2015-05-01 Member: 204015Members
    Update Again:
    When only a single thermal generator is in the power line even when that generator is overdrawn it stays connected to the power line.

So it does indeed appear to be a coding issue that appears when handling multiple thermal generators on an overdrawn power line.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited June 2017
    This same issue also affects solar panels and iirc, has done so at least since I started playing back in March. It mainly happens at night now, since power generation during the day is quite robust. I would recommend building more thermal plants in the meantime, but this issue is pretty much cosmetic (not that that makes it unimportant!). I'm pretty much going to have to walk back that this is merely cosmetic-- since, on experimental, power generation that doesn't come from a solar panel doesn't work at all. Depending on which update# you're running, it might be part of the same bug.