Field of view

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited June 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi, as someone who experiences motion sickness with gaming - is there any chance FOV can be added (or is already changeable in some config?) cause it would really help me play the game for longer than 20-30 minutes at a time before getting sick

Edit: Found it.

You enable console with F3 and then ~ and type in fov #

I recommend a value of 85 or 90

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2017
    There is a fov #" console command, it ranges from 5-60, which... are weird values... What happened to 60-130. It's explained as a "camera zoom"... Here's the wiki's description, see if you can make heads or tails from it...
    fov [#]

Toggles player camera zoom (5-60), 60 is default. Different types of lens framing such as flip, upside down, telescopic effect, etc., are found in the values of 5 to 500,000.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    But the max value is 60 and 60 is default so that doesn't help. Thanks though. I really need to increase it - I'm not worried about performance drops either.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2017
    Did you try the values lower than 60 though, I mean the way it is described... It kinda looks like lower values increase the FoV (by lowering the camera zoom)... So if 60==60, would fov 30 be 120 degrees? And fov 45 is 90 degrees? BUT 5 would be 720 degrees on that scale, you would be able to see the back of your own head... Twice.....................

What are these shenanigans... Cause that wouldn't make sense, we'd have to know what the value 5 means, what is the damn scale from 5 to 60 :worried: Also what is that talk about 500,000 AND WHY IS IT BACKWARDS, WHAT IS THIS EVEN!!!

giphy.gif

Like I said, it's a backwards description of what all other engines do :D
    edited June 2017
    Alright scratch that...

fov works exactly as you'd expect it to. Who made that wiki description, I want names and cookie jar locations!

Just slap fov 90 or 110 in there @ezekel, or any other value you want

[edit]
    - do not look down on higher FoV, that shit if freaky as hell
    - 180 is off-limits, who uses that anyway, more than 110 or maybe 120 is whack
    - the console is part of the FoV it seems, so beware with values that mess up the HUD
    - above 180 flips the screen
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Thank you it works. FOV 85-90 is much better.

I do notice some slowdowns but I don't think it's a performance issue caused by FOV. Seems more like something the hard drive would be responsible for or maybe even RAM? Not sure. Basically when entering some new areas it will chug for a second then go back to normal performance. I haven't seen any frame drops as an increase of FOV but just stutters when it loads in new areas. Not sure if that's ever going to be avoidable. Anyway regardless fov increase is pretty solid.

Some oddities: The 'Scuba' mask disappears when your FOV goes above a certain value and sometimes your item you're holding viewmodel disappears like the knife. It's still out but the viewmodel just goes away - no idea if that's related to FOV either.
    I'm guessing as other engines tend to do. Bigger FoV, means more has to be rendered on screen. What the engine thinks you can see, is increased. So as a result you will load a bit more of the areas when entering them...
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    Thank you it works. FOV 85-90 is much better.

I do notice some slowdowns but I don't think it's a performance issue caused by FOV. Seems more like something the hard drive would be responsible for or maybe even RAM? Not sure. Basically when entering some new areas it will chug for a second then go back to normal performance. I haven't seen any frame drops as an increase of FOV but just stutters when it loads in new areas. Not sure if that's ever going to be avoidable. Anyway regardless fov increase is pretty solid.

Some oddities: The 'Scuba' mask disappears when your FOV goes above a certain value and sometimes your item you're holding viewmodel disappears like the knife. It's still out but the viewmodel just goes away - no idea if that's related to FOV either.

It's area cell loading stuff. I moved to a SSD and it's better, but I can still tell when I messed with a biome a lot on how it loads. There's cache clear options that some say helps, but it resets the cells and can cause other problems.

Maybe there will be some cache preload code implemented, but that's still some of the heavy optimization stuff, while they are still doing game implementation.