Message upon entering the Void

CharzinardinardCharzinardinard San Diego Join Date: 2017-06-18 Member: 231159Members
To put it simply, what do you guys think about the PDA giving you a message when you enter the void as a warning? I've seen other games do something to prevent the player from leaving the play area, including invisible walls, physical barriers (wall/mountains/etc) or having some in-universe reason for not letting you leave. The PDA can just give a quick message along the lines of: "Scans cannot identify significant life or landmass beyond this drop. Recommend turning back."

I know veteran players can recognize it when reached, but I imagine newer players wouldn't realize it until they go a few hundred meters and see nothing. There are plenty of cliffs/trenches/drop-offs inside the play area that I think it's safe to assume a new player would just treat it as another trench and dive into nothingness, especially since fish and outcrops can spawn on the walls

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    That's a good idea. For players who don't use a map that people have put together, it's not actually immediately obvious that the void is map border. Most games use unpassable terrain or invisible walls. Or even kill-zones.

Or, if you want to creep out the player, have a gigantic rumble and shake the screen, and have a dimpy glimpsed titanic thing out in the distance. Something big enough to eat the Cyclops and not notice. It doesn't have to be very detailed, or even complete, since it should just kind of scrape the fog distance.

Autosave the game in a special save.

THEN have the PDA tell you to turn back.

Twice.

Three times. This process should give the player ample time.

Then, perhaps, render a single claw, which sweeps in out of fog distance and one-shots the player and anything nearby.

Reload the autosave. Perhaps the player listens this time.
  • zimmymzimmym Australia Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225102Members
    Seems like a great idea to keep those newbies from going the wrong way. Would also be nice if the message was spooky, eg: "Warning! Detecting extreme biomass signature in your intended direction, recommend immediate retreat!"
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    A creature being just low res fog and an insta-kill claw

Works for me
  • ExE_BossExE_Boss Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231293Members
    edited June 2017
    The area that the player should remain on could be made into an underground volcano (it has magma 1-2km deep).

Also don’t kill the player, just tell them that there is just a massive drop and vast empty space beyond this point.
  • CharzinardinardCharzinardinard San Diego Join Date: 2017-06-18 Member: 231159Members
    Can't remember where i heard it, but i remember the idea of a giant Ghost Leviathan spawning in the void as a deterrent for going out there. I think that would work a bit better than creating a completely new creature/claw. Still a neat idea though
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Can't remember where i heard it, but i remember the idea of a giant Ghost Leviathan spawning in the void as a deterrent for going out there. I think that would work a bit better than creating a completely new creature/claw. Still a neat idea though

It's from the Trello board here. One idea is to warn the player if they venture out into the void, rare and dangerous creatures will start spawning and attack the player. An idea posted on TVTropes' Subnautica page under "Sea Monster" indicates what it will be (although it doesn't seem to have been implemented yet): If the player continues travelling into the Void, first Crabsquids will appear, then Reapers, and then Sea Dragons.

I'd like to also mention, should the player try travelling the Void and see how long they can 'survive' these monster attacks, the devs should make any active cheat commands inactive or give a snarky response if they try to enable codes like INVISIBLE or INVINCIBLE. Because if you're trying to survive as long as possible before being destroyed by Void-spawn creatures, then it's No Fair Cheating by simply breezing through the challenge with no risk. :tongue: