Basalt and pepper?

McBooMcBoo Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230513Members
Is it possible to sprinkle some basalt outcrops in the kelp forests or grassy plains? I ask because if a first time player follows the story line through radio messages they wind up diving wrecks that require a laser torch before a player is even aware that the mountain island exists which means limited to no access to diamonds. Sure they exist in the mushroom forests but those are fairly deep dives for someone that hasn't already built a SeaMoth. Make basalt somewhat rare in the kelp forest or grassy plains but more likely to produce diamonds.

Either that or change the recipe for the laser torch so that we can use quartz that cuts at a slower rate and then be able to upgrade the torch in the modification station using diamond.

Comments

• crypticc62crypticc62 Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230650Members
    I would imagine that the design intention is to leave a carrot dangling just out of reach, enticing the player to return once they build the requisite tool. A similar approach can be seen in Metroidvania-style games, where new powers can open up new paths in previously visited rooms.
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    It's mostly a pacing mechanic. Fundamentally, it's the same reason that they don't have all the databoxes and fragments all clustered around your landing site: you encounter problems before you have solutions available. Hm, a jammed door I need to cut...have a blueprint...no diamond...where are they? It forces the player to explore and encounter more of the world. Most games use a similar method to "force" the player out of the comfort zone. It also allows a particular asset to have a longer "interest life" because you'll want to return to it when you've gained a means to access more of it. Given how much work it takes to create assets like that, the ability to stretch its useful life is a very good thing. :)