Things Players Would Really Like UWE to Address in Subnautica

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
This isn't a topic for hashing over issues that UWE has posted their position to be somewhat reluctant to address or even somewhat opposed to, like Multiplayer (technically impossible without massive rewrite) or the LR-ILR-endgame layout (UWE has a creative view of what they want).

This is to raise attention to things that UWE should address to improve Subnautica and the QoL of players, hopefully to give motivation to move it up in their priority to address.

When adding features, please put in a post with the feature capitalized on the first line.

If you think a feature should be addressed, agree with or awesome the post and perhaps comment as well with nuances.

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    SEABASE CONTROL PANEL - CENTRAL INTERFACE FOR INFORMATION AND CONTROL

Gives you information on base integrity, power level, input, output and estimate until power runs out and allows you to turn on and off power users and producers remotely.
    Allows to open or close bulkheads remotely.
    Light management.
    Seabase color option.
    Seabase map.
    Damage overview.
    Flood warnings and flood levels.

Possibly with an upgrade console as well? With upgrades such as a power conservation module, a beacon module, or a mass repair of cracks in the hull like the Cyclops Fire Suppression System does for fires on the Cyclops.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    SEABASE CONTROL PANEL - CENTRAL INTERFACE FOR INFORMATION AND CONTROL

Gives you information on base integrity, power level, input, output and estimate until power runs out and allows you to turn on and off power users and producers remotely.
    Allows to open or close bulkheads remotely.
    Light management.
    Seabase color option.
    Seabase map.
    Damage overview.
    Flood warnings and flood levels.

Possibly with an upgrade console as well? With upgrades such as a power conservation module, a beacon module, or a mass repair of cracks in the hull like the Cyclops Fire Suppression System does for fires on the Cyclops.
    They could add these two as their own modules. Or aggregate it all into a Seabase Control Room.
  • Chris9183Chris9183 Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230526Members
    My only real concern atm is the damn stuttering and lack of optimization.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    TANKS NEED SIMILAR FEATURES THAT BATTERIES HAVE: MOUSE HOVER TO SEE CHARGE, EASIER SWAP METHOD

With the new tank system in Experimental:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/151852/oxygen-tanks-in-experimental/p1

new features are needed to support tank swapping, as some tank swapping is still needed. As with Batteries, Powercells, and the tools that use them, the charge of a tank should be visible by hovering the mouse over the tank. Especially as it's possible (perhaps due to a bug) to load tanks from a storage locker and not have any oxygen in them.

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/151880/experimental-bug-air-tanks-not-filled-when-taken-from-locker-into-inventory/p1

As well, it would be helpful if tanks could be swapped between inventory and the paperdoll similar to the way Batteries are swapped. That way, 4 spots wouldn't have to be kept empty in the inventory to allow one tank to be removed before another is mounted.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Options for quick toggle for batteries and tanks you be nice (to automatically switch to fullest item in inventory.

I miss being able to push R to swap batteries, seeing that nifty reload animation rather then a sub menu with strange navigation. Something for air tanks would be good too.
  • JozrozJozroz Sweden Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230525Members
    ABILITY TO ACCESS SEAMOTH / PRAWN INVENTORIES FROM WITHIN CYCLOPS

Needing to unload the storage space of the smaller vehicle while undocked isn't just a hassle, but can also be quite dangerous in some cases. We really need to be able to access these inventories from within the cyclops.

Sometimes, the small things are also the most annoying, but thankfully shouldn't be hard to fix.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Jozroz wrote: »

Needing to unload the storage space of the smaller vehicle while undocked isn't just a hassle, but can also be quite dangerous in some cases. We really need to be able to access these inventories from within the cyclops.

Sometimes, the small things are also the most annoying, but thankfully shouldn't be hard to fix.

Shouldn't be hard to fix? Ummm.... why do you say that? As far as I know, there is nothing anywhere in the game that allows a player accessing one storage to see the contents of another storage. I think this is a very hard change and one we are extremely unlikely to see.

Just as an example: They would likely need to add at least a token storage locker somewhere in the Cylops to give you access... etc etc
    garath wrote: »

Shouldn't be hard to fix? Ummm.... why do you say that? As far as I know, there is nothing anywhere in the game that allows a player accessing one storage to see the contents of another storage. I think this is a very hard change and one we are extremely unlikely to see.

Just as an example: They would likely need to add at least a token storage locker somewhere in the Cylops to give you access... etc etc
    They could add an activator item to the Cyclops that triggers a script which checks what vehicle is docked at the moment and then open its inventory to you. Would be trivial if it were Skyrim, so it should be at least possible in Subnautica.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

They could add an activator item to the Cyclops that triggers a script which checks what vehicle is docked at the moment and then open its inventory to you. Would be trivial if it were Skyrim, so it should be at least possible in Subnautica.

Skyrim - Developed by a team of HUNDREDS of programmers
    Subnautica - Developed by a SINGLE digit team of less than ten developers

Please keep that in mind when you say something is an easy fix. :)

• ohmygoliathohmygoliath NY, USA Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230544Members
    PROPULSION CANNON - ABILITY TO MOVE FABRICATIONS

Adding the ability for the propulsion cannon to pick up and move a storage containers, desks, beds, etc...
    Whenever I find new blueprints, I find myself renovating my base to accommodate the upgrades.
    For example: It becomes a long process to move storage containers because you need to unload the items from them, deconstruct them, place them in the new location, then re-load all the contents back into them.

Versus just picking it up with the cannon and placing it.
  • ohmygoliathohmygoliath NY, USA Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230544Members
    WATERPROOF LOCKER - IMPLEMENT SEAMOTH TETHERING

If you have the waterproof locker selected and you're near the seamoth, you can tether the locker to the seamoth and it will drag behind the vehicle. There should be tether strength, if you cut a corner and the locker gets stuck in the bend, the cord will snap.

This makes material runs more efficient.

It's a small aspect of the papyrus script. I am sure they don't need to recreate the whole of Skyrim with HUNDREDS(lol) of programmers to implement that.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited May 2017
    Just because the team is small doesn't make it hard. It is also affected by their experience. They have good experience which makes it easier. The team benign small slows it down but they good experience which helps speeds t up a bit and makes it easier

What
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Just because the team is small doesn't make it hard. It is also affected by their experience. They have good experience which makes it easier. The team benign small slows it down but they good experience which helps speeds t up a bit and makes it easier

Exactly, larger teams just mean they get things done faster, this is why a lot of AAA titles are able to be put out in a year or two once they're announced to the general public. Smaller teams while slower are able to put out a game just as good, hell if not better because they don't have a larger company driving the developer team to complete the game just to get money (Electronic Arts I'm talkin about you!). Larger game companies that buy up developer teams have a bad, very bad habit of abusing said teams in order to gain profit instead of making a enjoyable feature filled game.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Skyrim and Subnautica do not run on same engine. Most sane people do not use garbage like papyrus. Unity is unity and gamebryo is bugthesdas child... through and through. Also indie devs and corporate slaves operate on vastly different scale. You work minimum wage for ubisoft, you are doing what you are told, when you are told and you work overtime for free.
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    Skyrim and Subnautica do not run on same engine. Most sane people do not use garbage like papyrus. Unity is unity and gamebryo is bugthesdas child... through and through. Also indie devs and corporate slaves operate on vastly different scale. You work minimum wage for ubisoft, you are doing what you are told, when you are told and you work overtime for free.
    The same coding logic still applies. Triggers, entities, database calls, gosub, return, it's commodore basic. From a programming perspective it's not difficult, if you know what you're doing.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited May 2017
    Wasn't what I said :pensive: and the game already handles storage inside storage inside storage just fine. Unless we are talking torpedo modules. Did a long write up on how that gets duplicated till it takes 20 minutes to load your save but that is a different story. It's a matter of changing UI which they have done plenty...
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members

Doesn't UWE have about 20 staff? I think we need a role call, before it becomes "The entire game was made by three people stranded on a island!"
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Wait why are we suggesting ideas in general instead i of ideas and suggestions?
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members

Actually, it really wouldn't be that hard to fix, and wouldn't need any code added to allow one inventory to check the contents of another... just add an access hatch or two into upper deck of the cyclops. It doesn't need to be a complicated fix, just one where we can access our storage from inside...
  • AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    Actually, it really wouldn't be that hard to fix, and wouldn't need any code added to allow one inventory to check the contents of another... just add an access hatch or two into upper deck of the cyclops. It doesn't need to be a complicated fix, just one where we can access our storage from inside...

Agreed, it was disappointing at best when i found I couldn't access prawn inventory from inside the cyclops.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    HANDS-FREE SUIT LIGHT
    Having to choose between a light or a tool is a video game trope that has long outlived its welcome, especially with how dark this game can be at times. A hands-free light doesn't have to be as bright as the dedicated light (so it still has some use) but it should be brighter than the laser cutter.

REMOVE ABILITY FOR KNIFE TO DAMAGE BASE
    I really hope this is an unintended feature that the devs simply haven't gotten around to rather than an intentional design decision. It is far too easy to accidentally cut holes in your base with the knife when harvesting plants. This is unrealistic, immersion breaking, and extremely annoying. Please fix this ASAP.
  • WarChyld76WarChyld76 Join Date: 2017-05-18 Member: 230597Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    I really hope this is an unintended feature that the devs simply haven't gotten around to rather than an intentional design decision. It is far too easy to accidentally cut holes in your base with the knife when harvesting plants. This is unrealistic, immersion breaking, and extremely annoying. Please fix this ASAP.

I Agree with Gamer1000k on this one.

One thing I would like to see is more option in base building by adding more prefab types of modules to us. some examples could be a lager Multipurpose Room, A Sq. Storage Room (for the walls and walls of locker, [or even a room with locker already build in]), Indoor green house type room. Just like to see some option to how could be designed. After silent running patch I don't think many will be living on there cyclops much anymore. (to risking to store all your goods there) lol also if they add in monster raids on base it give them more to tear up. ;)

• AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    I'd like to see a special storage container that can only store 1 item type but can store like 200 of it. That or let basic materials stack inside storage units.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    HANDS-FREE SUIT LIGHT
    Having to choose between a light or a tool is a video game trope that has long outlived its welcome, especially with how dark this game can be at times. A hands-free light doesn't have to be as bright as the dedicated light (so it still has some use) but it should be brighter than the laser cutter.

I've done some testing in Experimental and it appears you can no longer damage the base from the inside with a knife. And that was with the Thermoblade.

Hands-free light is a great idea. There's no way to hook a light onto the front of the diving gear? Also considering some lights (the LED Light) consume power too quickly and are thus almost useless. I also put away the Flashlight and never use it after getting the Sea Glide and its lamp. Why have a light that takes up 1 extra inventory spot when you already have to allocate 9 for the Sea Glide to get around fast.