We're nearing 1.0 so why can't we rotate the moonpool for placement yet?

SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
I've been away for more than a year at this point and after all this time, I've come back to find that its still impossible to rotate the moonpool, forcing players to plan their base around the moonpool from the beginning rather than being able to place it where they want once they've researched it. While this is a minor headache for older players who know how to work with the part, it is going to be a major headache and complaint for new players once 1.0 releases and they start showing up in droves. Most people will have a base established by the time they finish researching the moonpool and will end up very frustrated when they go to place it and find they can only get it in the orientation they want by completely rebuilding their entire base from scratch with the right orientation.

What I'd like to know is, after all this time, why hasn't this been addressed? Is there some issue with the engine that precludes the ability to rotate the part because it has 6 connection points? Is it just that not enough people have complained? Or have I just missed something and the devs are planning on changing it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Comments

• KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    What? You know you can, if you are not foolish enough to make an entire base out of multipurpose rooms, just unbuild one corridor that's straight, replace it with a T junction and build two/three corridors out and boom...done.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    Kellise wrote: »
    What? You know you can, if you are not foolish enough to make an entire base out of multipurpose rooms, just unbuild one corridor that's straight, replace it with a T junction and build two/three corridors out and boom...done.

Well, first of all, what you describe doesn't seem to work for me... I've now built 10 corridors out from a T-junction that I used to replace a straight corridor and the moonpool is still in the same orientation. Unless I've misunderstood and am doing it wrong, the only way to change the orientation of the moonpool still seems to be to reorient the entire base. That said, even if I'm able to get this to work, it doesn't change the underlying problem... the part should be able to rotated just like any other part in the game instead of requiring some hi-jinks.
  • sdfklvxc01sdfklvxc01 Join Date: 2017-05-05 Member: 230256Members
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Is it a spambot or someone just randomly spamming
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    Maybe he tried to go... Left, back, right, left, back right and didn't notice he was on the forums instead of being ingame?
    edited May 2017
    But what if he's left handed? 456456?
    (I just looked this up, apparently some left handers use left hand for wasd anyway, but I do know someone left handed that binds everything on numberpad)
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Is it a spambot or someone just randomly spamming

Is there a difference?
    Spambots are automatic, randomly spamming people are humans. Most of the time that means one IP address so if they get banned by IP they can't make another
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Maybe he tried to go... Left, back, right, left, back right and didn't notice he was on the forums instead of being ingame?

Maybe he should have tried...forward forward back back left right left right B A ?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Jacke wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Maybe he should have tried...forward forward back back left right left right B A ?

I'd contra your point, but nein :tongue:
  • MalsqueekMalsqueek United States Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216835Members
    While this is a minor headache for older players who know how to work with the part, it is going to be a major headache and complaint for new players once 1.0 releases and they start showing up in droves. Most people will have a base established by the time they finish researching the moonpool and will end up very frustrated when they go to place it and find they can only get it in the orientation they want by completely rebuilding their entire base from scratch with the right orientation.

I agree wholeheartedly. Couple that with non-Multipurpose Room Ladders being oriented based upon the orientation of the foundations as well and you actually create a situation where there are some base layouts that simply cannot be made sensible (such as the one I just tried to make in my current game).
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Just wait for polish month, no?
    Just wait for polish month, no?

I'm hoping this optimism is warranted. I haven't been following the dev trello as religiously as I used to, but I've not seen any mention that they will be doing anything about it at all, so I'm not holding my breath. This is also the reason I decided to bring it up in a thread here, hoping that they will take notice and add it to the list of things that need to be done.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited May 2017
    (I just looked this up, apparently some left handers use left hand for wasd anyway, but I do know someone left handed that binds everything on numberpad)

Typically depends on what you learn first and how much practice you put into the other handedness. I'm left-handed and wouldn't be able to use a mouse with my left hand to save my life. Then again all of my mouse movements will always be just a fraction of a second slower than a right-handed person using one because their brain is more hardwired to their right hand.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited May 2017
    Don't forget the non rotating ladders in a base. With MP rooms they are always placed to the wall side, but in corridors they don't stick to the wall side. Neither are you allowed to rotate them out of the way. That is even older than rotating the moonpool.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    pie1055 wrote: »

Typically depends on what you learn first and how much practice you put into the other handedness. I'm left-handed and wouldn't be able to use a mouse with my left hand to save my life. Then again all of my mouse movements will always be just a fraction of a second slower than a right-handed person using one because their brain is more hardwired to their right hand.

I'm left-handed and like most left-handed people, I use a mix of left and right hand on various things. I write left-handed, use scissors right-handed, shoot right-handed but with a left master eye. I can throw a ball, brush my teeth, or use a mouse with either hand, but it's different with different hands. With a mouse, I'm most comfortable with my right hand, especially with the buttons. But I've used left hand on the mouse and right hand on the numeric keypad on some data entry systems.