Alien Wrecks

gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
I saw this suggestion mentioned on the Steam forums recently and unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it (apologies to whoever posted it originally) and thought I would repost it here.

Based on the datalogs in the caches, the planet has been under quarantine for hundreds of years at the very least. It would completely fit within the lore and feel of the game that there would be other races who lost ships to the quarantine enforcement platform, resulting in alien wrecks that could be quite ancient. These wrecks could be significantly more difficult to find/navigate than the existing wrecks (half buried in the sediment on the ocean floor?), but contain optional fragments/blueprints that would assist in the endgame (or even be necessary for curing the infection).

Given that the PDA is already capable of magically decrypting and translating the precursor broadcasts and data, it would also fit that it could decipher other alien technology and datalogs as well.

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Honestly, not a bad suggestion. Only one problem: How big were they? It is assumed the only reason the Aurora survived was because of it's massive size. If a small ship, like the Sunbeam, was shot, it would instantly explode. Well, unless the ship was shot only once and far enough out to not do enough damage to explode said ship. So, that raises the question of how big and how far out were these ships?

Oh, i'm rambling. Anyways, nice suggestion!
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I'm thinking they could be similar in size to the large wrecks so that they would have a decently sized interior area to explore. A larger one would be cool as well, and could be a similar exploration endeavor to something like the mountain island caves.

Given that the Aurora doesn't have any gaping holes in it (at least not until after the reactor goes critical), it appears that the beam attack is primarily a lance that puts a small, clean hole right through some critical components which could then potentially explode and take out the ship. This would mean that depending on the design of the ship, there could still be a respectable amount of it left after being shot down.
  • BestUserNameEverBestUserNameEver USA Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217749Members
    Title says it all.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    I'm thinking they could be similar in size to the large wrecks so that they would have a decently sized interior area to explore. A larger one would be cool as well, and could be a similar exploration endeavor to something like the mountain island caves.

Given that the Aurora doesn't have any gaping holes in it (at least not until after the reactor goes critical), it appears that the beam attack is primarily a lance that puts a small, clean hole right through some critical components which could then potentially explode and take out the ship. This would mean that depending on the design of the ship, there could still be a respectable amount of it left after being shot down.

Also nothing saying that the Precursors don't use sturdier alloys to build their vehicles. The QEP gun obliterated the Sunbeam, but there's nothing saying that it'd do less catastrophic damage to a Precursor-built ship.

Besides, people are people everywhere. Like you said, the place has been abandoned for centuries. In all that time no Precursor decided to try and loot the place? Yeah, right.

There should be at least one alien wreck out there for us to find.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members

Also nothing saying that the Precursors don't use sturdier alloys to build their vehicles. The QEP gun obliterated the Sunbeam, but there's nothing saying that it'd do less catastrophic damage to a Precursor-built ship.

Besides, people are people everywhere. Like you said, the place has been abandoned for centuries. In all that time no Precursor decided to try and loot the place? Yeah, right.

There should be at least one alien wreck out there for us to find.

Nothing says it even has to be limited to just Precursors. In my "ultimate" implementation of this idea, there would be a variety of alien wrecks from different races and time periods going back to shortly after quarantine went into effect. Each one could have their own little story told by datalogs in the wreck.

Maybe a Precursor was trapped on the planet by the quarantine, and their friends tried to come get them only to be shot down? A few hundred years later an alien survey ship from a different race is shot down, and then a larger military vessel came to see what happened and got shot down as well? A hundred years after that, some treasure hunters from yet another race heard rumors about these lost ships and came expecting loot and met their doom?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Nothing says it even has to be limited to just Precursors. In my "ultimate" implementation of this idea, there would be a variety of alien wrecks from different races and time periods going back to shortly after quarantine went into effect. Each one could have their own little story told by datalogs in the wreck.

Maybe a Precursor was trapped on the planet by the quarantine, and their friends tried to come get them only to be shot down? A few hundred years later an alien survey ship from a different race is shot down, and then a larger military vessel came to see what happened and got shot down as well? A hundred years after that, some treasure hunters from yet another race heard rumors about these lost ships and came expecting loot and met their doom?

You could make an entire DLC out of this. :)