Acituanbus: how to download any version of Subnautica through Steam

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

(link in case auto-link fails)

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited April 2017
    Aaah the old loading screens... I always wanted to check out the "old" game, like before the H20 update and... Well, like the super-old versions Jack started the game on. Would be cool even if only for a while - kinda like how Minecraft lets you download and play legacy versions of the game, which is fun for nostalgic reasons but you miss out on the new stuff. Unlike Minecraft though, you're also missing out on story and really big new features. So dialing back to old versions would only be to mess around for a while before heading back to the latest-and-greatest. Aka Terraformer and ILZ Corridors are still going to be dead and jumping back to an older version where they're still around won't really hold ye attention for too long since you'd be missing out on so many other things (Not to mention bugfixes!)

Will take a look at that in the future :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    As far as I can tell, the old versions are downloaded as a stand-alone, meaning it won't overwrite your current version of Subnautica.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the old versions are downloaded as a stand-alone, meaning it won't overwrite your current version of Subnautica.

Well what I meant was that your old version won't have any of the new stuff, and the currently updated one will still be omitting the old removed stuff. Playing on the current version will lack a craftable terraformer and will eventually lack it entirely, and etc. You can play both, but you won't play the old version for long since it's lacking the polish of the new ones. Polish and cut-for-no-good-reason biomes, but polish overall.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Still, modders might be able to use it to merge cut things back in. *cough* @nesrak1 *cough*
    Ah, I see what you mean. Still, modders might be able to use it to merge cut things back in. *cough* @nesrak1 *cough*

Terraforming's coding is being removed entirely, without access to the source or script editing I find it highly unlikely that could be added back in. The ILZ Corridors would require map editing tools to put back in, though they never needed to be removed in the first place. I still don't buy the "A player might leave before they explore the biome" explanation. If they're really that concerned about a player wanting to leave, then they should just make entrances to caves one-way until they visit all the places the devs want them to. Not that it'd be very fun that way, but cutting content and removing areas kinda goes against the whole point of an exploration game don't you think, and isn't it the player's choice if they leave an area or not? And what about people playing on Creative, do they really think cutting biomes is doing them any good?
  • AcituanbusAcituanbus Germany Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218640Members
    Ayy I see it's appreciated :smile:
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited April 2017
    @0x6A7232 @Rezca
    Rezca wrote: »

Terraforming's coding is being removed entirely, without access to the source or script editing I find it highly unlikely that could be added back in.
    I keep copies of every dll since powernap ;)
    Anyway if that's the case I'd have to rewrite it.
    The ILZ Corridors would require map editing tools to put back in, though they never needed to be removed in the first place.
    Actually if you used terraformer code you could open up ILZ with code.

nesrak1 wrote: »
    The ILZ Corridors would require map editing tools to put back in, though they never needed to be removed in the first place.
    Actually if you used terraformer code you could open up ILZ with code.

I don't want the biomes being removed to begin with though. :/
  • AcituanbusAcituanbus Germany Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218640Members
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Acituanbus wrote: »
    Ayyyyyy

Kinda random bump don't ya think?
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Ayyyyyy

Kinda random bump don't ya think?

*shrug* He's the OP OP. I guess that means he can if he wants to. :D
    Skope wrote: »
    Ayyyyyy

Heh:

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members