[Bug][SPOILERS!!] Crabsquids strongly attracted to a Cyclops in Silent Running mode [47139]

SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
edited April 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Subnautica Version - 47139

Description - Crabsquids are strongly attracted to a Cyclops in Silent Running and will swarm it, yet don't display any aggressive behaviors aside from rubbing against it incessantly. Switching to another speed setting will trigger aggressive behavior one would expect, yet being in Silent Running they 'un-aggressively' push the Cyclops around like mad.

--

Normally the Deep Grand Reef abandoned base has 2, maybe 3, crabsquids when I get around to visiting it. When I finally decided to try navigating the caves in the new Cyclops, I was a little surprised when I arrived at the base and found 5 crabsquids all swimming around dangerously close to the seabase.

Well, I'd put the Cyclops in Silent Running mode early on anticipating Crabsquid attention, so when I arrived at the seabase I was somewhat surprised when the crabsquids began humping (for lack of a better term) my Cyclops... For 15 minutes I tried moving my Cyclops into different positions around the abandoned base hoping the crabsquids would stop rubbing against it, pushing it into cave walls and such, but no matter what I did they were on my Cyclops. And naturally, going out into the water with 5 crabsquids while they're pushing my only means of escape around randomly would be suicide...

After 15 minutes of that, it of course became obvious the Crabsquids were attracted to my Cyclops yet they weren't actually attacking it.. For a few brief, accidental seconds I was in Ahead Slow instead of Silent Running (caused by another bug I need to investigate) and immediately my Cyclops received a couple attacks from the Crabsquids humping it at the time, so it became apparent their strange behavior wasn't them attacking my Cyclops yet failing to attack, they were just swimming against my Cyclops for some other reason.

Supposedly Crabsquids have an aggression towards sources of light, so if this is the case then my theory is that they're attracted to the red lighting of Silent Running. For some reason, that red lighting is incredibly bright and makes the Cyclops shine like a beacon while in that mode and would of course attract light-attracted creatures from many meters around.

Reproduction - It's pretty straightforward, get a Cyclops, get a group of Crabsquid, examine how they react with it in the different speed/stealth modes on the Cyclops.

Edit: Oh right, I finally had to use 'invisible' so I could actually get inside the abandoned base. Another interesting behavior is that after I got out of my Cyclops, the swarm of Crabsquids scattered and when I got back into the Cyclops there were only 2 of the 5 left around the abandoned base, back to the normal amount. Still when I climbed back into the Cyclops, even with 'invisible' still on my Cyclops got another thorough humping by the nearest 2 crabsquids..

Anyway, that's why I pointed out the odd number of crabsquids around the base, and claimed they'd swarmed. 3 of those crabsquids were there just because a shiny Cyclops was in the area.