Hive Challenge unstable

antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members Posts: 56 Advanced user
HI all,

While playing the Hive Challenge, I noticed the game gets unstable after playing about five minutes: the marines start warping back and forth a bit, then more and more as if their ping was getting > 500 ms (funny thing for bots ^^), then a bit later the same happens for me, up to the point where I can't keep playing because all my movements end up rewinding.

It happens with both Lerk and Fade. Last time I played, I think the issue started appearing around wave 8 as a Lerk without me dying before that wave (at first I thought it had somerthing to do with resets, but it seems not).
I don't think I played the Hive Challenge on older builds to know if the issue was there already.

By now, I realise I should include a techsupport file :D I can't do it now, but I'll do it tonight if it's needed.
BeigeAlert

Comments

• ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members Posts: 95 Advanced user
    Sounds like you are having yellow/red plugs on your own LAN server.

Typically caused by inefficient code (bot code) or insufficient computer specs (ns2 was known for requiring high specs back when it was released)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,733 admin
    It seems there is an issue with playing on local servers for long periods of time. I've noticed just running around the ready room sometimes I can get these massive lag spikes that don't go away.
    antouBicsum
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members Posts: 56 Advanced user
    Cool, do you need my techsupport file then ?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Posts: 2,733 admin
    Couldn't hurt, send it along. :)
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members Posts: 56 Advanced user
    There you go. I started the game, played some hive challenge as Fade for ~5 minutes (fun thing to do before going to work :D), then it started warping and became unplayable. This time the warping wasn't progressive, 1 second it was fine and the next I couldn't blink without hitting walls everywhere.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold Posts: 1,014 Advanced user
    edited April 28
    I had the same issue on a local server with bots. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may have to do with alt+tabbing.

I can't test this right now to be sure though. All I can say right now is that it isn't always breaking, and that I could play for longer periods of time sometimes.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members Posts: 611 Advanced user
    OT: @antou there's a new gorillaz album :D
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    @Bicsum no alt-tabbing for me here, but I've had other issues when alt-tabbing during map changes for example.
    .trixX. wrote: »
    OT: @antou there's a new gorillaz album :D
    I knoww :smiley: :smile: :smiley: I preordered it a while ago, I'm waiting for the CD to ship so I can religiously unbox it as I always do hehe
    .trixX.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter Posts: 615 Advanced user
    Tbh I start a listen server fairly often and this bug appears 99% of time. The only question is, how long can you play before it appears?
    Same with the Skulk Challenge, I have to restart it because the third try is unplayable (second try was fine)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts Posts: 8,134 admin
    @antou
    Do you by any chance run your OS on a different hard drive than what NS2 is on?
    QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 3 2012, 10:47 AM) »
    Every time you ask for troubleshooting without providing system info, ATI adds a rendering bug for an upcoming game.

When you feel you need to be rude or angry about a game, just read these links and remember what role you are playing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect
    http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members Posts: 206 Advanced user
    Well I had Issues as well with several runs... with NS2 on an SSD, since my OS is on a normal HDD
    @IronHorse Both my OS and NS2 are on the same SSD