[Bug] Reefy Reefbacks cause ridiculous frame drop [47091]

SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
edited April 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
This has been reported before, I'm sure, but it's not in the trello bugfixing cards so after dealing with this for a week now on both Stable and Experimental, I decided to stick this on the forums and see if reefbacks can get some attention.

Even in a fresh save, the presence of a reefback with a reef on its back (so all of them except juveniles) reduces my FPS to 1-2, though the reefback and their reefs both render in fine. Anyway, since they're fairly widespread in the game world now, it's become a big problem for me.

There are two ways the issue resolves: Either the reefback unloads, and my frame rate INSTANTLY jumps back up to pre-reefback levels, or after about 5 minutes of ridiculously low frame rates things will smooth out until another reefy reefback appears. Revisiting reefbacks I've loaded in at some point in the past will still result in ridiculous frame drop.

I've observed Subnautica's memory usage during these laggy times, and the problem is accompanied with a rapid increase in memory usage, then after the frame drop ends the memory usage instantly drops back to pre-reefback-appearing level even if the reefback is still loaded in and swimming around actively.

My hunch is that there's something legitimately broken about the 'loading in' aspect of these reefbacks with reefs, since given enough time they'll stop screwing with my frame rate.

Edit:
This is hard to test to find reoccurring behaviors and solid results, but I got lucky while in the northwestern mushroom biome. There are two adult reefbacks that're both relatively isolated from others, meaning I can observe one or the other without any other reefbacks loading in.

On top of that, one of those two reefbacks gave me NO performance hits at all. It was just as smooth swimming around one of those mushroom forest reefbacks as it was swimming around the safe shallows. The other reefback, however, had a humongous impact on my FPS.

Anyway, what I did was I spent a few minutes watching one or the other, with the other being unloaded. The 'good' reefback's impact on my F1 screen's 'total memory' was marginal. Loading that reefback in was as demanding as loading in a new map chunk.

The 'bad' reefback's impact on my F1 screen's 'total memory' was terrible. It constantly climbed at 1MB every 5 seconds or so, and never stopped loading something into memory. Basically, it looks like a lot of (but not all of) my reefbacks have a seriously performance-impacting memory leak in them. Thankfully their resources at least clean up properly when they unload.