Fan Theory: Your character is insane!

Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
Alright, it is finally here! My first official fan theory in my 2 part fan theory series. Just keep in mind that this is a though experiment and that its just a theory that I came up with under questionable mental conditions (wasn't drunk, on drugs and I don't have mental issues). So, please enjoy! Oh! I forgot, SPOILERS!! TURN AWAY IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS!!!
Overview:
So, for people who don't want to read everything, here's the overview of the Theory. You character, Scuba Steve, was driven insane by the Auroras Crash and watching his friends and co-workers being killed. So, there you have it. That's the theory but I will elaborate for people who want to read on.

Elaboration:
It all starts when the Aurora gets shot down by the Precursor Array and crashes in the middle of the sea. But Scuba Steve DOES escape with another crew member. Although, this other crew member is then torn limb from limb by a Stalker in front of Scuba Steve. He gets taken in by another crew but a freak explosion kills everyone except Scuba Steve, furthering his insanity. Then, he is left alone in the sea (Yes, I know that there are more pods but they got destroyed by other means) and slowly goes insane. During this insanity he creates the delusion of the opening fir sequence as a way of forgetting the traumas of his past experiences. This theory (or fan fiction as some will say) may also explain the death sequence. Its Scuba Steve's mind referring and not coping with the traumas of the crash and so a nightmare-like hallucination is formed by this interaction.

If you have any inquiries about this version of the theory than please post them in the comments below.

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited April 2017
    You character, Scuba Steve, was driven insane by the Carar, the Auroras Crash and watching his friends and co-workers being killed.

Okay... so.. the main character from subnautica has PTSD from being stuck on planet 4546B? Because that makes sense but... everything else you said throughout the rest of the thread is confusing as hell.

Is this a fan theory or a fan fiction? It appears to be the latter.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited April 2017
    We already know that the Carar can cause mental weirdness from the Degrassi PDA where it states that a member of the surviving crew wanted to go deeper underwater despite the safety of the island.

The character that wanted to go deeper underwater was Maida/Marguerite, who did so because she was worried about the lack of resources and fear of the weather becoming worse. It wasn't because of the Carar.

"MARGUERIT: Your kid says we can't grow enough. Not without more growbeds. Speak up, kid."

She also thinks that she can save the other 2 degasi survivors, paul and bart torgal by building a rocket. It's also said and shown that she has a very bold personality.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited April 2017
    I generally enjoy ideas which revolve around a central character being mentally damaged or an entire experience being a hallucination.
    Such as, perhaps we're actually on Earth, in a plane which has crashed into the ocean, and everything we experience is nothing but the escapism of a poor, drowning IT consultant's hallucinating brain, giving him an adventure to avoid the inevitable death that's about to take place to his feeble body as he bleeds out from multiple duty-free vodka bottles embedded in his chest.

But yours doesn't make much sense to me, without you giving far more information and details. And in order to do so, you would indeed be creating fan fiction, as @SnailsAttack suggests.

For example, there's nobody else in the initial cutscene, just us. We escaped alone. So you're suggesting that the whole intro of the game is a hallucination? Why?
    He saw someone get killed by a Stalker and went insane? He went insane because of that one thing? People aren't that weak minded, and if they do suffer some sort of PTSD (which doesn't cause hallucinations anyway, unless a trauma leads to psychosis) it generally doesn't become visible until much later. We could suffer shock, but that wouldn't cause any hallucinations.

And if you're going to use the carar as a reason, then the whole idea of theories is pointless because if carar makes you insane the moment you land on the planet, then everything has the potential to be one big hallucination anyway.

What kind of idiot would get rescued by 2 people, then cause a freaking explosion inside a tiny life pod in order to murder them? That's some next level stupidity and any explosion would obliterate all occupants pointlessly. Why have you included this at all? Just because of the damage to the pods? Well what about all the other life pods, they're all the same model and all have similar (if not the exact same) damage. What happened to the others?
    I've wondered about the life pod damage myself, and they do appear to be ripped open outwards, but I put that down to Stalkers acting like tin openers.

Anyway, you're not really basing your ideas on any evidence which is why you're writing fan fiction more than a theory. But that's okay. Why not write a more detailed evaluation with less plot holes? Because I like insanity.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I generally enjoy ideas which revolve around a central character being mentally damaged or an entire experience being a hallucination.
    Such as, perhaps we're actually on Earth, in a plane which has crashed into the ocean, and everything we experience is nothing but the escapism of a poor, drowning IT consultant's hallucinating brain, giving him an adventure to avoid the inevitable death that's about to take place to his feeble body as he bleeds out from multiple duty-free vodka bottles embedded in his chest.

But yours doesn't make much sense to me, without you giving far more information and details. And in order to do so, you would indeed be creating fan fiction, as @SnailsAttack suggests.

For example, there's nobody else in the initial cutscene, just us. We escaped alone. So you're suggesting that the whole intro of the game is a hallucination? Why?
    He saw someone get killed by a Stalker and went insane? He went insane because of that one thing? People aren't that weak minded, and if they do suffer some sort of PTSD (which doesn't cause hallucinations anyway, unless a trauma leads to psychosis) it generally doesn't become visible until much later. We could suffer shock, but that wouldn't cause any hallucinations.

And if you're going to use the carar as a reason, then the whole idea of theories is pointless because if carar makes you insane the moment you land on the planet, then everything has the potential to be one big hallucination anyway.

What kind of idiot would get rescued by 2 people, then cause a freaking explosion inside a tiny life pod in order to murder them? That's some next level stupidity and any explosion would obliterate all occupants pointlessly. Why have you included this at all? Just because of the damage to the pods? Well what about all the other life pods, they're all the same model and all have similar (if not the exact same) damage. What happened to the others?
    I've wondered about the life pod damage myself, and they do appear to be ripped open outwards, but I put that down to Stalkers acting like tin openers.

Anyway, you're not really basing your ideas on any evidence which is why you're writing fan fiction more than a theory. But that's okay. Why not write a more detailed evaluation with less plot holes? Because I like insanity.

It was rushed. Didn't have much time then and font have much time now. I'll expand upon what I now concider junk tomorrow.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    We already know that the Carar can cause mental weirdness from the Degrassi PDA where it states that a member of the surviving crew wanted to go deeper underwater despite the safety of the island.

The character that wanted to go deeper underwater was Maida/Marguerite, who did so because she was worried about the lack of resources and fear of the weather becoming worse. It wasn't because of the Carar.

"MARGUERIT: Your kid says we can't grow enough. Not without more growbeds. Speak up, kid."

She also thinks that she can save the other 2 degasi survivors, paul and bart torgal by building a rocket. It's also said and shown that she has a very bold personality.

To you I say this; It's been a while since I looked at that PDA and it used to just say that she wanted to go deeper for an unknown cause.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Everything is very confusing. We started in the lifepod by ourselves.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    There is a reason why the protagonist is alone in a two-man lifepod. I like to think that they pushed people out of their way to get into the lifepod and got hit by a metal plate as a result of bad karma.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Well, we can say that every experience Scuba Steve hadon 4546B was an hallucination. Maybe there's even not exist 4546B as a planet, but the code for Steve's room on a mental hospital :D
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    So, fun fact... I came in here to post my theory about what's 'really' happening in the story of Subnautica... but it got so long and involved I decided to make it into a thread of my own. :blush: While I've had the idea for a while, I didn't decide to post it until @Nautical_Nick made his thread here. Sorry for stealing your thunder Nick! :wink:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    So, fun fact... I came in here to post my theory about what's 'really' happening in the story of Subnautica... but it got so long and involved I decided to make it into a thread of my own. :blush: While I've had the idea for a while, I didn't decide to post it until @Nautical_Nick made his thread here. Sorry for stealing your thunder Nick! :wink:

Nope, its absolutely fine! The more the merrier and as I've said before I think this theory of mine is the worst that I have had so far.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members