More fluid water and lava physics.

CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
I don't know much about unity, or development, but from a customers point of view, the liquids in this game seem solid, or just like air. The lava in Subnautica is pretty much just glowing land with still lava falls. The player should be able to go into the lava, and probably die, but it looks much better than when something smacks into it and bounces off. And when you or your cyclops goes into the lava, it should just sink into it, or something like that.

The water is just like air, there isn't much there to make it feel like water besides the foamy water at the top, the fish swimming, etc. It would be nice to have things like a storm at sea, a tsunami when the Aurora explodes as in the trailer, whirlpools. Pretty much anything that happens in our oceans.

Comments

• cliff_excellentcliff_excellent Join Date: 2017-03-27 Member: 229226Members
    I think this would make the game a lot more realistic but would make it lag a ton. I don't think its possible with the game engine
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    I agree completely that a lot of ocean features are missing and would be a welcome addition. But not everything.

Lava is actually very dense. Things that fall into lava generally don't fall into it...they just kinda lay on it and melt and/or burn. It really takes some effort to get into the stuff. Just watch footage of geologists getting samples; it's not like the maple syrup seen in movies. More like really thick wet concrete, but much, much more dense. Just about anything is buoyant relative to molten rock.

And water really does behave like air. They're both fluids, after all, so the same dynamics apply; water is just more dense and thus has more inertia (rest and motive) on its side. So a blast, even one like the Aurora, wouldn't raise a huge wave. (The Baker test raised a wave 94ft tall at 1000ft from epicenter, but that blast was underwater [200ft down], so all of its kinetic energy was transmitted to the water. The Aurora blast is largely in the open, so very little of the shock would be transmitted to water - there'd be a wave, absolutely, but no tsunami.) Today's nuclear subs don't swim as much as fly through the water; the only difference is that they use buoyancy rather than lift to change depth. Otherwise, maneuvering is equal measures propulsion and effect of diving planes...honestly, mostly "flying" in the water.

That said, though...yeah, Subnautica's oceans are remakably...blah. Even some significant waves would be a welcome addition. (Dead calm seas like we see in game? Not very realistic.) The visuals alone would be a treat; watch footage of waves shot from underneath if you can - it's gorgeous. And storms at sea will get my vote every single day. :)
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I agree completely that a lot of ocean features are missing and would be a welcome addition. But not everything.

Lava is actually very dense. Things that fall into lava generally don't fall into it...they just kinda lay on it and melt and/or burn. It really takes some effort to get into the stuff. Just watch footage of geologists getting samples; it's not like the maple syrup seen in movies. More like really thick wet concrete, but much, much more dense. Just about anything is buoyant relative to molten rock.

And water really does behave like air. They're both fluids, after all, so the same dynamics apply; water is just more dense and thus has more inertia (rest and motive) on its side. So a blast, even one like the Aurora, wouldn't raise a huge wave. (The Baker test raised a wave 94ft tall at 1000ft from epicenter, but that blast was underwater [200ft down], so all of its kinetic energy was transmitted to the water. The Aurora blast is largely in the open, so very little of the shock would be transmitted to water - there'd be a wave, absolutely, but no tsunami.) Today's nuclear subs don't swim as much as fly through the water; the only difference is that they use buoyancy rather than lift to change depth. Otherwise, maneuvering is equal measures propulsion and effect of diving planes...honestly, mostly "flying" in the water.

That said, though...yeah, Subnautica's oceans are remakably...blah. Even some significant waves would be a welcome addition. (Dead calm seas like we see in game? Not very realistic.) The visuals alone would be a treat; watch footage of waves shot from underneath if you can - it's gorgeous. And storms at sea will get my vote every single day. :)

I knew lava was dense, but not that dense. I did some more research and I completely understand now. Also what @cliff_excellent said with the game's engine.
    And @scifiwriterguy there is something in the Subnautica Polish Trello titled "Sylvain's Weather?" which should mean more visuals in the sky, and maybe things in the ocean too.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    That'd be awesome. Few things are as incredible as bad weather at sea. :)
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I just want some form of light grey overcast