The science of the slingshot menuever (for Anyone who didn't know what they were talking about

mr_manmr_man Join Date: 2017-02-23 Member: 228164Members
Will be put in later

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited March 2017
    mr_man wrote: »
    Will be put in later

why tf would you post the thread if you're not even gonna say what it is

For people actually wondering what it is, it's when a spacecraft uses a planet's gravitational field to increase the speed of the spacecraft or change its direction by orbiting the planet. This is used to save fuel.

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    mr_man wrote: »
    Will be put in later

why tf would you post the thread if your not even gonna say what it is

Hey he's offering more content then an EA game at the start

Also I'm just going to spoil the sling shot menuever for you, it's basically using both the loss in mass and the exhaust from the ships engine, with the assist of a planet gravity field to propel her ship much faster then it normally would ON its own. This is because the ship would be gaining kinetic energy from traveling toward the planet and when that energy is not released in a collision of r planet, the energy carries the ship further out into space.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I'm not about to trust anyone who can't even spell "manoeuvre" to give me information on any subject.
    I'd have even accepted the Yank spelling of "maneuver", though wrong is wrong is wrong.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
  • mr_manmr_man Join Date: 2017-02-23 Member: 228164Members
    Sorry life is not just me sitting on my phone
    I was needing to remind myself
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited March 2017
    USE THE EDIT BUTTON ITS NOT THAT HARD

*ironic edit*
    ITS NEXT THE THE AWSOME BUTTON
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Does the Subnautica universe even need to worry about slingshot maneuvers? If the game requires us to build a rocket, then it should have some FTL capability for us to save ourselves and get to civilized space. Slingshot maneuvers are pointless for ships that travel at relativistic to FTL velocities.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Does the Subnautica universe even need to worry about slingshot maneuvers? If the game requires us to build a rocket, then it should have some FTL capability for us to save ourselves and get to civilized space. Slingshot maneuvers are pointless for ships that travel at relativistic to FTL velocities.

The subnautica universe travels sort of a Teleporter network, where people would first need to go there to build it. It seems that there is FTL tech but it's much slower then the phase get. Also the FTL drive would probably only work outside a suns sphere of influence otherwise the ship would be set of course by the suns gravity.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members

No, they are not pointless. FTL only allows you to travel over extremely long distances between stars. Once you get close to the planet you want to land on you'll have to deal with conventional orbital maneuvers at sublight speeds. Most space movies and shows just ignore this fact and pretend you can just fly straight to where you want to.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    @mr_man Too lazy to edit and type your post, but makes 3 unnecessary messages.
    cdaragorn wrote: »

No, they are not pointless. FTL only allows you to travel over extremely long distances between stars. Once you get close to the planet you want to land on you'll have to deal with conventional orbital maneuvers at sublight speeds. Most space movies and shows just ignore this fact and pretend you can just fly straight to where you want to.

Slingshot maneuvers are all about interplanetary travel or leaving a star system at non-relativistic velocities. If a starship is capable of 1% the speed of light or faster in a relatively short period of time, then there is not enough time to worry about gravity assists from a planet since 1% the speed of light is 3,000 km/s. If ships are travelling at that fast of a velocity around a star system, then conventional methods of slowing down using gravity are pointless. Therefore, the only form of orbital mechanics used in those ships is orbiting around a planet.

So it depends on if it takes less than a day to go from the Earth to Mars (2604 km/s) or a month to go from Earth to Mars (87 km/s) in the Subnautica universe. The current fastest launch velocity is 14 km/s with the New Horizons Probe and the fastest velocity is 74 km/s with the Juno spacecraft which used gravity assists and 5 years to get to that velocity.

For any robust interplanetary civilization, then a trip from Earth to Mars needs to be faster than a month. It is extremely doubtful that it takes 21 months to get out of the solar system which is how long it takes to go from Earth to Pluto at 87 km/s assuming that is the closest distance that an FTL system needs to be away from Earth to activate.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I mostly learned about slingshots from Kerbal Space Program. Very handy.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2017
    Watch out now, you might travel somewhere, or rather some time :trollface:

14026714826575.jpg
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    This thread seems an awful lot like this to me...

Good thing I like this song.
    B)
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    This thread seems an awful lot like this to me...

Good thing I like this song.
    B)

Convenient how this song seems to fit in
    with every thread on this forum...