Base building- unique to Subnautica?

JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members
I must admit- my favorite thing about Subnautica is being able to build bases. Not not just a home, but functional bases that help me progress the game or unlock new tools, etc.

I was trying to think of other games that have similar functional base building mechanics and I am hard pressed to find any. Xcom comes to mind, but it is not the same. Games like Rust or other MMO survival games have base building, but it can get frustrating or overwhelming.

Specifically- any other singleplayer games with functional base building that helps you progress in game or build new items? The base building in Subnautica seems rather unique and revolutionary to me. Maybe it is because it is underwater or maybe its the art, I dunno- just seems special.

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    You might take a look at Empyrion Galactic Survival. This games features both single and multiplayer. Because it is also a multiplayer game, it has no story element like Subnautica. But the base building in Empyrion can be quite a lot of fun. You can build bases on planets, moon and in space that are quite beautiful.

There are a few other games in my Steam library that I may eventually play that seem like they may have some base building in them:

7 Days to Die
    Eden Star
    The Forest
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    No mans sky is strikingly similar to Subnautica's building system, I wouldn't recommend buying the game and honestly its a little too similar to be a coincidence but it is there.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    No mans sky is strikingly similar to Subnautica's building system, I wouldn't recommend buying the game and honestly its a little too similar to be a coincidence but it is there.

Considering how simple the base building is, I find the similarities more a result of it being obvious than someone intentionally copying someone else's design.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I hope that game No Man's Sky leaves Alpha and enters Beta soon. :)
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Fallout 4 to a degree, but I'll be the first to admit that F4 settlements lack the sense of organic cohesiveness that Subnautica has. No matter how carefully you build in F4, everything comes out feeling slapdash. Subnautica, on the other hand, builds bases so easily and has a finished product so slick it really ups the ante on in-game base building overall.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    garath wrote: »
    I hope that game No Man's Sky leaves Alpha and enters Beta soon. :)

As I said before, it is a great Early Access game even if it is a tad expensive.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    NerdyEric wrote: »

Considering how simple the base building is, I find the similarities more a result of it being obvious than someone intentionally copying someone else's design.

If it didn't look like it was straight up lifted with a new skin thrown on it, you'd have a point.