Ion batteries

DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
When the lithium ion batteries were still a thing-to-be, I was looking forward to them in part because of the way they'd increase the value of the modification station. As it is (ie, not accounting for any future recipes), the modification station has a very short moment of use. There’s only a few, one-time recipes in there and by the time you get it you probably have collected them all and access to all ingredients.

Finally gotten around to paying the PTPG a visit and acquire the ion battery/power cell recipes for myself and I kinda don’t feel motivated to make them. I’ve purposely worked to make as few batteries & power cells as possible without forcing myself to the Aurora early (two of each) and only acquired others by opening loot boxes(*). I’ve got all I need with five batteries and two power cells to spare(**). Now I’m “supposed” to throw all that out and start hunting for copper again? The only distinct use the regulars have compared to the ion ones is recipe inclusion, but I’ve already made everything. I presume the choice for a direct recipe was made because on its own it’s easier gameplay than first having to make a battery and then upgrading it, but who doesn’t have a sizeable collection of regulars by the time the PTPG can be visited?

(*) What’s the deal with wreckage floodlights? Two updates ago I found a battery in each one except for three non-interactable floodlights and I think I’ve only found one in Infected. It keeps changing between updates.
(**) This does not account for possible recipe updates of objects that use batteries/power cells but conjure them up from thin air during construction. I hate that and would like to see it changed. Same for recipes that require one, but don't consume energy by use.

I'm curious what's everyone else's opinion on the current situation is?