The Aurora and Wrecks

ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
Hi everyone!

I've noticed the Aurora wreck is pretty static after it explodes. The fires are continuously burning and the metal is always red hot. I would find it interesting if after a certain amount of time the Aurora would change. For example the fires would disappear and the metal would cool. The Aurora frame could collapse and possibly sink. This could interfere with exploration of the Aurora, and would obviously be a late game event. Might be difficult to code and, if considered, would be a poet v1.0 event.

Also, the Degasi survivors said they salvaged the remains of the Degasi completely. The current habatat builder is incapable of salvaging wrecks. It would add more value to wrecks if the cargo boxes or some parts of the wrecks are salvageable for titanium or other resources. Obviously not the whole wreck, but at he very least cargo boxes. Again, might be difficult to code.

Thanks!
-ShuttleBug :)

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I've noticed the Aurora wreck is pretty static after it explodes. The fires are continuously burning and the metal is always red hot. I would find it interesting if after a certain amount of time the Aurora would change. For example the fires would disappear and the metal would cool. The Aurora frame could collapse and possibly sink. This could interfere with exploration of the Aurora, and would obviously be a late game event. Might be difficult to code and, if considered, would be a poet v1.0 event.

Also, the Degasi survivors said they salvaged the remains of the Degasi completely. The current habatat builder is incapable of salvaging wrecks. It would add more value to wrecks if the cargo boxes or some parts of the wrecks are salvageable for titanium or other resources. Obviously not the whole wreck, but at he very least cargo boxes. Again, might be difficult to code.

Thanks!

I spent too long wondering what would be poetic about the Aurora collapsing. :D

I think it would be very hard to code such massive changes to the landscape with no payoff, a loss of a very useful landmark, and a chance to lock people out of completing the game because that's where the recipe for the rocket is obtained. As such, I take the eternal fire as an acceptable break from reality.

I'm principally not against deconstructing cargo boxes, but it would make the propulsion canon pointless at those three or so spots where it's needed to clear the rubble. And they've been placed there specifically to make the propulsion cannon puzzle-relevant.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I mainly agree with the fact that the metal should stop glowing and the fires should be put out, but I support this.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I think the builder has DRM on it that limits what can and cannot be deconstructed, both as safety against vandalism and blueprint piracy.

The Degasi had the CEO of the owning company on board, so they were outfitted with an executive override.

What may be interesting could be making scrap metal deconstruct only and no longer pick up. The fact that you can get good amounts of Titanium out of them could be described in the scan. That would also give the presence of Titanium in Limestone Outcrops a reason to exist and create a resource progression parallel to the availability of more Titanium hungry blueprints. And you won't be lugging cubic meters of Scrap around.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    I think the builder has DRM on it that limits what can and cannot be deconstructed, both as safety against vandalism and blueprint piracy.

The Degasi had the CEO of the owning company on board, so they were outfitted with an executive override.

I do agree with this. It couldn't hurt to put a little disclaimer on the builder info about this tho

What may be interesting could be making scrap metal deconstruct only and no longer pick up. The fact that you can get good amounts of Titanium out of them could be described in the scan. That would also give the presence of Titanium in Limestone Outcrops a reason to exist and create a resource progression parallel to the availability of more Titanium hungry blueprints. And you won't be lugging cubic meters of Scrap around.

Possibly a different textured piece of scrap around large wrecks that could be deconstructable. I also noticed some of the models for scrap are smaller than others, so maybe the size of the scrap could give you different amounts of scrap.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!

I spent too long wondering what would be poetic about the Aurora collapsing. :D

I think it would be very hard to code such massive changes to the landscape with no payoff, a loss of a very useful landmark, and a chance to lock people out of completing the game because that's where the recipe for the rocket is obtained. As such, I take the eternal fire as an acceptable break from reality.

I'm principally not against deconstructing cargo boxes, but it would make the propulsion canon pointless at those three or so spots where it's needed to clear the rubble. And they've been placed there specifically to make the propulsion cannon puzzle-relevant.

I apologize for the confusion, but I thought of the "collapse" of the Aurora as a minor event, or a mere texture change, similar to the Aurora explosion. I understand that a total collapse of the ship would be too devastating to the player and computer, but a few places that were most damaged in the crash could cave in or fall off in some way. I just think that the Aurora becomes a eyesore late game with almost no change and no point to visit it for a second time. :/
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

Well, they're a Mongolian company, not Alterra. And a couple PDA entries made mention of their de-restricted tech. If only we could get our hands on their gear!

Well, it'd still be the same volume of titanium, just in wads rather than slabs. Plus, that eliminates scrap metal as a key early-game resource because you'd need a hab builder and batteries to make use of it. Forcing starting players to go hunting for titanium in nodules rather than just picking up the pieces lying everywhere...I daresay you'd have a lot of furious gamers out there.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Well, it'd still be the same volume of titanium, just in wads rather than slabs. Plus, that eliminates scrap metal as a key early-game resource because you'd need a hab builder and batteries to make use of it. Forcing starting players to go hunting for titanium in nodules rather than just picking up the pieces lying everywhere...I daresay you'd have a lot of furious gamers out there.
    It's not about the volume in the inventory but more about the in game size of scrap metal, which are by some other player's measurement several meters long.
    In the beginning you don't need much titanium anyway, mostly for air tanks and single ones for tools. Only when you go into advanced construction, you start to need more. Using the Builder to salvage Scrap Metal would open up a plentiful resource of Titanium at a time when you start needing plenty of Titanium in the game's progression.

It would also give the player a reason to go into the caves for Silver where they will likely meet a Crash Plant and thus get information about its powder needed for the Repair Tool. A blurb after scanning Limestone that indicates possibility of Sandstone (and thus rarer materials) in caves deeper in the Shallows would be all to get the ball rolling.

It's adding more dots for the player to connect.