The difficulty and replay value of Subnautica.

13»

Comments

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited March 2017
    Greybeard wrote: »
    Well, at risk of being snarky, there doesn't really have to be a reason. One persons argument for wanting gameplay to be harder is no different than someone wanting it easier, or to stay as is. We all have our idea of what adds up to fun/entertainment. In the end, the game is what it is. We can choose to play it, or not.

Besides, I have no doubt there will be oodles of mods for Subnautica (guessing there already are), allowing for various gameplay. The devs have a vision, and build the game to be played as they intend it to be (to a degree). Beyond that, it's a sandbox.

So, to give my REASON: the game is just fine, and fun, as it is. What more explanation does one need? The counter argument is: "I want the game to be harder, so it's more fun." *shrug*

We might as well discuss why we prefer certain toppings on our pizza.

It would be a start if Subnautica would stop having an identity crisis and decide what it wants to be:

A survival game with a story.

Or an exploration game with survival elements for giggles.

So far it's the latter. And I don't think that's a good direction considering so far the story is kinda eh. It certainly isn't driven by the story like that of TWD or Journey. So it can't rely on that. What it needs is balanced gameplay to complement this game. So far the game is not balanced. It feels VERY automated by late game. Like the game plays for you while you look at stuff and complete the story, avoiding the occasional nearby shark or Reaper.

There are a few things that can change this:

- Making Warpers a bigger threat that will actively hunt you down as you progress... Instead of just regular fish with tele powers.
    - Getting rid of the damn Med Kit Fabricator.
    - Force players to take care of trees to an extent, or at least plant them near fresh water access with sunlight. That means you cannot take them on the Sub.
    - Implement damage to Sub by Leviathans ASAP. We have to see how well this feature needs to be balanced out.

These four things will add more central conflict and make the game feel less automated.

1. The Warpers will be more aggressive.
    2. Then don't build it.
    3. Honestly I disagree with this. Being able to do this with the plants makes sense, with the indoor growbeds, and it makes the cyclops a more mobile home instead of a mobile crafting/storage hub.
    4. Pretty sure this is in the works.