My Subnautica Experience

NolrovosNolrovos Join Date: 2017-03-04 Member: 228569Members
So this is going to be a pretty long post, a story even, about how Subnautica has effected me for the better. I'll be talking mostly about what I've enjoyed, as while it's easy going for most people I know to discuss what could be improved upon the game or what we dislike about a game, but it can be tough to think deeply and understand what we really like about the game. Of course, this will have plenty of bias in it!

Since I was but a child, I've always enjoyed learning about the ocean and the creatures that dwell within. For reasons I cannot entirely grasp I've always had a fear of the ocean. Maybe it's the sense of the unknown, maybe it's because predators in the water are far more capable of swimming then humans, so in a sense, my life is in their hands. (or fins!) But I've always enjoyed embracing fears, learning about them deeply. I played Ark and for the life of me I couldn't swim in too deep of water. If anything in the distance would slowly appear, a shadow of the environment, an ichthyosaurus, or even a strange sound would send me packing to the surface. Even when I was fully equipped to take on megalodons! Sometimes I would overcome my fear for a short period, but it never seemed to last.

Even in Mario 64 when you delved into the deep water as a child I would be far too frightened to go that deep. It has been with me for a long time. While I bought Subnautica some time ago, I didn't really play it until recently. I climbed up out of my lifepod, and looked into the crystal blue water and both smiled and feared the experience. It was a thing of beauty, but what dangers lied within? Fear even took me then, despite the name of the area! I would swim but only in the day time, and even then I wouldn't go in the caves, or near the creepvines. You can imagine how frightful I was when I heard the Stalker for the first time, seeing it only encouraged that fear, but I told myself I needed to see it.

In time, after several days in game, eventually I learned the Stalker's movements, that they didn't turn well after observing them. Long story short, one chased me at some point, I circled it, and nailed it's tail with one sweep of my knife, and it fled. My flight instinct finally became fight. This might seem to most a simple thing, but to me, it was an evolution within myself. I always fled from sounds, from sights. But instead from then on, when I heard a Stalker I turned to see where it was, ready to take it on if it wanted a fight.

My fear would overwhelm me again when I was on the edge of the Safe Shallows, looking out into what is known as the Grassy Plateaus. "It's so deep," I thought to myself. I then began processing what kind of dangers lurk in deeper waters in real life. I fled from it for now, but quickly realized I needed to go into those deeper waters to progress in the game. Again I went to the edge of the Grassy Plateaus, then something loud echoed from it's depths. I fled right then and there, "What could be so loud? It has to be huge," I thought. Eventually I came back, I couldn't progress I reminded myself until I went into deeper waters. Subnautica was teaching me that I need to overcome my fears to progress. I can stay where I am, there's nothing stopping me, but if I seek fun, I need to delve deeper.

So I did, and as time went on, I went deeper and deeper, seeing the reefbacks up close. Eventually their echoing voices would rather then frighten me, soothe me. I knew I was near safety when I heard them. I built a base within the Grassy Plateaus, and honestly talk as if they're my family. (The salt in the water seems to be stripping me of my sanity!) I delved even deeper, easier, into the bordering Sparse Reef. I even built a base there, where a reefback near the surface to this very day speaks to his or her, distant kindred. No matter the 204 meters depth of my base, I still hear the reefback.

Ah, alas there is so much more to tell, yet I wish to refrain the reader from being /too/ bored with my tale. This game is teaching me valuable lessons, all the while being fun. What would a post on the internet be without a pun somewhere in the mix? So I leave you this; I suppose you could say the developers helped me find a, 'whole new world'. (three meanings in one, woot!)

Thanks Unknown Worlds for making this wonderful game, and just to think, it isn't even finished yet! I'm 41 hours in, and I'm still enjoying it. I can't wait to get the rest of the pieces of the PRAWN suit! To all those who read this through, how has this game given you enjoyment? What are your memorable moments within Subnautica?

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Funny you should mention this. I very nearly posted yesterday about how Subnautica is changing how my thalassophobia behaves. I know exactly what you mean. :)

The first time I heard a Reaper call in the deep dark was unnerving. But building my first Seamoth and challenging the deep on its own turf...that was cool. :) But between the
    abandoned seabases
    and exploring the Aurora wreckage, it'd be tough to pick a favorite.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    This game is amazing, and so is this thread! My memorable moment in Subnautica was when I saw a reefback for the first time!
  • CaptainBarbequeCaptainBarbeque Hell Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228247Members
    The fun thing is that the longer you play subnautica you will start to see more and more areas as doable

Mine are (at the moment)
    -Safe shallows
    -Kelp forest
    -Grassy plateaus
    -Blood kelp
    -Lost river

No place where reapers could spawn since i'm Piss-terrified of those giant wankers.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited May 2017
    The fun thing is that the longer you play subnautica you will start to see more and more areas as doable

Mine are (at the moment)
    -Safe shallows
    -Kelp forest
    -Grassy plateaus
    -Blood kelp
    -Lost river

No place where reapers could spawn since i'm Piss-terrified of those giant wankers.

Heh same here. The reaper is probably so scary because you KNOW it can grab you, and shred whatever you are in. You can really never know where it is, and it is so loud!(reaper jumpscares are the best) With something like the sea dragon, it is super loud and it shoots fireballs, so you know where it is most times.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    The main reason I joined this forum was to post something similar, but I'll just reply to this thread.

I want to thank the developers for this game. It fills a gap that I thought was lost ro me. I was exposed to SCUBA diving in my early teens, my parents used to dive before I was born, but had all but given it up until my sister and I got older. I went on my first lake dive about 15 ish and dove every chance I got, which was not often. On my honeymoon, my wife and I used my parents gear that was older than I am and went on a short lake dive. When I finally got ready to do my certification, I discovered that years of chronic sinus issues meant I couldn't equalize pressure in my ears any more. My life long goal of diving certification would be probably forever denied. Life goes on.

A random YouTube video showed me this game and I had to check it out. It's as if I'm back in the water again! Thank you Dev's. You were able to let me step back for a moment to a time long ago where I could explore under water again.

If you dear friends would also allow me one tangential request, visit your local library and check out the book The Silent World by Jaques Cousteau. You can read about the early days of Scuba diving. I enjoyed that book so many years ago.