How to implement the rock puncher

phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
Ok so I've been brainstorming a bit and I think I might of found a solution to save our beloved creature.
So I've always been fascinated by symbiotic relation ships in the wild, and so far subnautica has only one creature, the reefback. So my idea to fix this is to turn the rock puncher into a bone puncher. Obviously in the lost river there are plenty of spooky scarey skeletons, with skeletons there aren usually skulls to accompany them. Where I'm going with this is for the rock puncher to have the ability to use skulls or other parts of bone as tools or boxing gloves. It would make sense seeing as the rock puncher can't deform the terrain but could damage parts of he environment, it could also show the player that some of the creatures in the world are smart enough to make tools. This is a symbiotic relationship as the more the rockpuncher kills, the more the bones there would be to punch things with.

The way I see it damage-wise would be if the rock puncher were to pick up a rib or another type of long bone, it could be thrown as a spear or boomerang, if the player was in a prawn suit the rock puncher would addon his samurai armour and use the bone as a sword or pike. The rock puncher could also use spine eel / river prowler skulls as boxing gloves that do much more damage then his standard punch or kick.

this way we have a unique enemy in the lost river, and we kept a animal from going extinct via chopping block.

Comments

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    i'd just make it it'self, but it just doesn't break actual terrain, just those large rocks you can drill with the prawn. Meanwhile, I named my prawn "rock puncher" because it's the only current way.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    edited February 2017
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Interesting idea. Definitely the most creative suggestion I've heard on how to #savetherockpuncher

But, think of amount of behavior coding that would have to go into this idea. That alone would be at least a good month.

And, there is honestly so much stuff in the Lost River, I don't think the Bone Puncher could even get around.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Here's a thought...

Be kinda-sorta cool if the Rockpuncher followed/wandered around behind the Sea Treaders, punching at the nodes they stir up and using the ore they find for food.

Would make it a bit more dangerous for us to gather those same nodes, as the Rockpuncher could swat at us for stealing it's dinner.

Would also create somewhat of a symbiotic relationship between two very different species in the game.
    B)
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    edited March 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Here's a thought...

Be kinda-sorta cool if the Rockpuncher followed/wandered around behind the Sea Treaders, punching at the nodes they stir up and using the ore they find for food.

Would make it a bit more dangerous for us to gather those same nodes, as the Rockpuncher could swat at us for stealing it's dinner.

Would also create somewhat of a symbiotic relationship between two very different species in the game.
    B)

I like this, but I see the rock puncher more like the Mantis Shrimp they make shock waves that stun fish and they use that to hunt/defend themselves. maybe the same thing either

A hes Defensive/territorial and if you get to close you get stunned and he attacks you
    or
    B there an environmental hazard and the shock-wave can indirectly harm you.
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    Using bones as tools and weapons is a bit silly, especially since the Rock Puncher doesn't have a way to hold things. And the way the Lost River is set up is a nightmare for a bottom-dwelling animal.

The Crag Field would be a much better location, and it could occasionally punch apart the large resource deposits to find Rockgrubs and hoard resources in the indents in many of the rock spires' bases.
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    Using bones as tools and weapons is a bit silly, especially since the Rock Puncher doesn't have a way to hold things. And the way the Lost River is set up is a nightmare for a bottom-dwelling animal.

The Crag Field would be a much better location, and it could occasionally punch apart the large resource deposits to find Rockgrubs and hoard resources in the indents in many of the rock spires' bases.

the crag field hasn't gotten much love so it would be nice to see stuff like this there
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
    robotfly wrote: »

the crag field hasn't gotten much love so it would be nice to see stuff like this there

I agree, if the crag field had it's own special species, I would be more tempted to enter it
  • reaperslayer10reaperslayer10 Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228362Members
    i think that if the rockpuncher was in the game the lost river would be hell because the river bit is toxic
  • reaperslayer10reaperslayer10 Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228362Members
    but otherwise it would be perfect for beating the doop out of rocks