Need a little help with finding Aerogel/Gel sacks

ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
Hello fellow Subnauticans.

I recently started a new game in survival mode shortly after the Coffee update. I really liked all the new features they added because I hadn't played for quite some time now. Last time I played the PRAWN-suit was not in the stable version. So I had alot of new things and small balance changes to discover. Really love the lower energy use of the Seamoth, Seaglide and Cyclops. At least it feels a lot less then before for me.

To cut to the case like the subject of the thread says, I have problems finding the Gel sacks to build my PRAWN suit. Wiki says there should be some near a trench at the Aurora but I seem to be too blind to find them or they got removed from there since I skipped several updates I can't tell. Are there any other locations where I can find them? Wiki also had Yellyshroom caves listed but I couldn't find any there so far. Nor did I find any in the safe shallows. Is the Lost River now the only biome to find any or am I just too blind/unlucky to find them anywhere else?

Would love a helping hand here because I would really like to take out the PRAWN for a ride. :smiley:

Thanks in advance people.

TPG

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The trench is
    on the side of the Aurora, more on the southern part, right next to the cube shaped wreck.
    Lost River
    has Gel Sacks scattered around everywhere.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Thx @Fathom I am playing right now and go look for them at the Aurora first and let you know if I found them. :)
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited February 2017
    I finaly found them. I really must have overlooked them the first time. I got 3 of them out of the trench at the Aurora like you mentioned. Thx again for pointing me in the right direction. I add a screenshot too for those like me that are/were still searching.
    p5x0ou53ildd.jpg
    ib1f0ahhqhkd.jpg

7r85ggv8s0bj.jpg:smiley:
  • N340N340 Join Date: 2017-01-30 Member: 227465Members
    In order to make aerogel you need an aluminum oxide crystal and a gel sack. The wiki page says that gel sacks are best found in caves around the shallows and I find aluminum oxide crystals in the grand reef. Hope this helps out!
    N340 wrote: »
    In order to make aerogel you need an aluminum oxide crystal and a gel sack. The wiki page says that gel sacks are best found in caves around the shallows and I find aluminum oxide crystals in the grand reef. Hope this helps out!

Thx but I already read what the WIKI had to say (as mentioned in the OP). WIKI also lists Mushroom forest, Yellyshroom cave, Safe shallows and Safe shallows caves as possible locations...none found there so far and I took my time to look around closely. I guess WIKI needs updating since UWE seems to have changed the locations a bit. Maybe I was just to blind to find them in the listed locations but I just hope that I simply can't be that blind because at least in the 2nd try I found the trench at the Aurora in the Crash zone.

My first P.R.A.W.N tour:
    Took the P.R.A.W.N. for a ride last weekend and visited the Precursor thermal power generator in the Inactive Lava Zone. I entered it via the tunnel network in front of the Aurora in the Crashzone. Was an interesting ride down there and a sight to see the circling Sea Dragon Leviathan near the Lava Castle. I was rahter happy to see, that he does not take any interest in the Cyclops so I could deploy my P.R.A.W.N. near the small entrance into the Lavacastle to get to the Precursor Generator. Using the suit was a bit tricky at first but I quickly got used to it and love how it can handle the dangers of the deeper biomes. I exited through the Grand reef cave which I also saw for the first time. Gonna explore alot more now.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2017
    use your knife on them to get seeds, then plant them in an outdoor grow bed. you'll have all you need and more after a short while. plus, you'll never need to hunt for them again.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Maybe I was just to blind to find them in the listed locations but I just hope that I simply can't be that blind because at least in the 2nd try I found the trench at the Aurora in the Crash zone.

I believe there's a certain amount of randomness in the locations for these and other resources, so maybe you just happened to hit an unfortunate combination.

Generally speaking, rarer resources are more likely to be found in caves. So in that trench, always be sure to explore the small caves. Similarly, when exploring the Kelp Forest, you're more likely to find silver if you dive into the caves there.

Have fun!
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    If you know where the cove tree is, i'm pretty sure I saw about 5 there.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I find the Lost River is a great place if you need to stock up, with the bonus that there are plenty of other resources around and you can get the Cyclops' big self down there for some major resource strip-mining. I even found a single sulfur in there (which was probably a glitch).
    Just watch out for the glowing liquids...which is good advice at just about all times, really. I've never seen a glowing liquid that was good for you; Lost River ooze, lava, glowstick fluid, Love Canal NY, pretty much every puddle in Fallout, Bioshock plasmids and tonics... Glow = Unhealthy. ;)
    zimzum wrote: »
    use your knife on them to get seeds, then plant them in an outdoor grow bed. you'll have all you need and more after a short while. plus, you'll never need to hunt for them again.

:smiley:

That is exactly what I did. I plucked all I could find in the trench near the Aurora, planted them in one of my outdoor growbeds and sliced them to get the max ammount of seeds for replanting. I did that right next to the Seedcluster bearing creepvines, the Bloodvine, the Deepshrooms and the Acidmushrooms. :tongue:
    I love regrowing ressources close to my base and the bright glow of the Seedclusters lights up the base nicely.
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    Why is no-one mentioning the Jelly Shroom Caves?
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    The original poster did, about midway through this thread. Called it "Yellyshroom" but we knew what he meant.