Persuading a wreck to pop-in without deleting the entire cache. Might work, might break your save.

DreacosDreacos Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203919Members
I think I may have found a solution, and a very wonky one at that, to the wrecks failing to load issue. The problem seems to be gone at the moment, but it does require more testing.

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk, as it may end up corrupting your saved game. Keep in mind that I'm in the Experimental branch (44163), so your mileage may vary.

Problem: I had the Wreck at Grand Reef (-284 -250 -850) refusing to load in a consistent manner despite repeated save/load cycles and deleting the cache multiple times. In order to check if the wreck did load or not, I used the "goto" command to teleport to the wreck after each cache wipe (goto wreck10 in my case). Most of the time, the wreck would load initially when I teleported to its location, but fail to reappear after I went back to base and returned with my Seamoth.

Assumption: Data relating to wrecks gets lost somewhere along the way when the player is traveling at high speed (i.e. Seamoth) due to the way terrain streaming works, and the problem does not resolve on its own, at least not reliably.

Solution: I noted the batch number of the problematic wreck (11-17-7), exited the game, and deleted every file associated with that batch under CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache folders, as well as the "batch-objects-11-17-7.txt" file under the main save directory. This is a very local cache wipe that does not affect any other part of your map, and it also deleted any data in the save file associated with this particular batch, forcing the game to reload it upon the next visit. And as the surrounding batches are already loaded, it allows the game to focus its resources on loading the missing batch.

Outcome: The bloody ***hole of a wreck did appear when I went there full speed in a Seamoth.

[To find the batch number, Press F1 in-game and navigate to the Other tab. The number of the batch you are currently in is displayed at the bottom]