Framerate stutter when turning

sesanisesani Join Date: 2017-01-30 Member: 227452Members
Literally what title says.

Reproduction steps: No idea. Seems to be tied to my system.
Otherwise: Walk into area and spin your camera like a madman trying to aim a gun at jumping super-dogs... ie: Like a marine in NS2 while fighting.

Tech support attached.

Videos of issues with different configurations:

Physics multithreading on + 1080p resolution + windowed fullscreen.

720p resolution variant to rule out gpu being too weak to handle it.

Resource loading - High + Gpu Acceleration on

As I've done in the videos the issue seems harmless. But it can be triggered by enemies simply jumping into my FoV during combat, causing a very short freeze.

Considering how easy it is to lose track of a space doggo that's trying to nibble your ankles, I can't aim with this... help <(T_T)>

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Just a really random idea: have you tried verifying your local files via steam?
    Also, a one in a trillion chance as it only seems to manifest in NS2, but have you checked your HDD health? assuming it's a HDD...
  • sesanisesani Join Date: 2017-01-30 Member: 227452Members
    The game that's running in recorded video's is fresh after nuking [refering to uninstall + manual removal of lingering files and all mods].

Ie: It's a new installation that completed 30 mins before I recorded all this.

I run literally everything else from the very same HDD - it is not the newest, but no other application be it game [example: Vermintide, Borderlands 2] video or picture editing software [example: Krita, 3ds Max] behaves like this.

It is a unique issue tied to NS2.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2017
    *note this isn't a fix* but atleast try it out.

First and foremost to help you out, i want you to realise something first.

Your game is in fullscreen-windowed mode which can affect performance, including interfering with background running programs, sometimes windows will prioritize programs outside of view on default settings.
    Your resolution is not in 1080p, it's in 720p(your recording is in 1080P however)

My first fix could perhaps be, disable your windows / bios controlling CPU speed and let it run at 100% all the time, you seem to be downclocking to 700mhz - 1.3ghz and back up to 4.3ghz, it could be for some reason that you are in windowed mode and momentarily are somehow interrupting the threads which are processing by bringing focus to background software running(don't laugh, i've fixed issues before due to this) (this could also be fixed by running it in full-screen mode. then to top it off run a non retarded resolution like 720p, perhaps try something else?, no computers i've tested NS2 on will accept 720p and give me reasonable performance no matter what i try.

.trixX., he's using an SSD + mechanical from his video and I doubt this has anything to do with unverified game files, actually i am almost certain it 100% has nothing to do with files that are unverified, they would have not passed the consistency checker and the game simply wouldn't function(configs not withstanding)

Also your performance is impacted generally from loading new scenes when using a mechnical hardrive, the faster the drive the more performance you will get in game, it actually does help but not by as much as you would think (just really helps loading times)
    @Archie
    Before recording those videos I tryed in fullscreened mode - I had frame drops in dark souls due to running windowed before, so that was the firs thing I went to.

It had no effect on my performance sadly.

Also the second video is ran at 720 game res, the rest at 1080. You can see that in quality. All other options except the variables listed above the videos are identical.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    You GPU waiting time is up to 8 ms. So in your case your GPU seem to be the bottleneck.
    Have you tried a fresh driver installation?
    Deinstall your current driver with this:
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    and install a new driver like this:
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-378-49-whql-driver-download.html

I saw a active Intel HD4600 GPU in the video.
    Are you sure that NS2 is using the Geforce Card?

Edit:
    Looks like the game is using the Geforce Card and the driver is 1 month old. Atleast the logs files are telling this.

I would reinstall the GPU driver like mentioned above and deactivate the Intel only to be sure.
    How many Ram did your Card has?
    There GTX650ti Cards out there with only 1gb ram, but you have set the ressourceloeading to 2gb+.

But i must say that the GTX650ti itself is a real slow card.
    Its slower than my 8 years old ATI 5870 (i have replaced this card already 2 times).
    The minimum specs on the shoppage are a joke btw. So dont use them as a reference.

And a small tip:
    Since a few Forceware revisions the powermanagement in the driver 3d settings is set to optimal (was adaptiv before)
    Some people reporting that there cards didnt run at full speed if there is not enough load. Switching back to old defaults wich was adaptiv seem to help some people here.
    @dePARA

Here's my source for selecting 2gb+ loading on the menu screen [screenshot taken today]

http://prntscr.com/e2k9wj

I was looking into upgrading the GPU, since I am very aware of it being old - it's why I did the 720p test with second video. If its was just the gpu murdering itself, it would fix the stutter issue. But sadly, it didn't work despite the game itself running at 140 fps in the second video.

I'll reinstall the drivers as per your tutorial and then disable the integrated graphics. I'll post results as another reply.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I had a GT630 (with passive cooling!) before my current card, and I've been able to play NS2 with decent (25-30) framerates, but i had to disable all graphics features and lower the res to 720p. I never had an issue like that, so I wouldn't think its purely a performance issue...
    @dePARA

The driver reinstall worked. Everything is in working order.

Thank you very much

/close thread.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Hi,

First of all make sure that Bloom is disabled in your graphic options. Then please use f_log true in the console, then reproduce the issue and attach the resulting log here.

Also what kind of anti virus software do you use. In the past there have been issues for users with certain security suites treating ns2 like malware delaying all kind of i/o operations causing similar issues.

Lastly it would be great if you could follow these steps:
    Type "p_logall" without quotes in the console (~ key) whenever you want to begin recording in game (don't do this until you at least spawn in a round)
    then you can p_endlog /or just wait for the round to end/ or map to change/ or just quit the game and it will end automatically.

Then navigate to your appdata/home config folder
    e.g %appdata%/natural selection 2/
    And you will find your file, something *.plog
    Zip it/ compress it.
    Attach it to your tech support post

This will give us a frame by frame analysis of what is going on, so try to pick a time when you can best reproduce your lowest performance.
    Don't record for longer than 30 minutes, and don't record for shorter than 5.