Castles & Coffee Update Released on Steam - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageCastles & Coffee Update Released on Steam - Subnautica

A new Subnautica Early Access Update has been released! Prepare to dodge burning hot magma… Lava Castle Precursor Base A secret lies hidden deep within the bowels of the Lava...

Read the full story here

Comments

• LilacCrayonLilacCrayon Toronto Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227279Members
    The working trash can is possibly the greatest feature. I was too environmentally conscious to ever throw stuff in the waters.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    ... and I have to work this evening... < sadface >

Oh well, I'll be playing at midnight to night.
    B)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for more Precursor tech. Well done!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Beds nao skipping time -- HYPE!!!
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Not sure if this was available before (been away for a few months) but I was delighted to find a COMPASS in lifepod 7. Yippee!!!

I always thought it was weird that a survival pod wouldn't include a compass and we had to (eventually) craft one after discovering the magnetite ore, so this is great feature. Yeah, the small things count. :D
  • MythicHotshotMythicHotshot Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226323Members
    I hate to ask but when are you guys going to fix the problem with changing the colors of the vehicles with the modification station? On Xbox.
  • MythicHotshotMythicHotshot Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226323Members
    Otherwise I really love the game keep up everything you guys are doing!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    Not sure if this was available before (been away for a few months) but I was delighted to find a COMPASS in lifepod 7. Yippee!!!

Yeah, that's been there for a while.

I'm really liking the working bed / trashcan / vending machine - things actually doing stuff is great! Does anyone know exactly HOW the bed works though? I had like 5 minutes to play after downloading on my lunchbreak, so I used Bobthebuilder to crank out a bunch of stuff just to see how it all worked. The bed gave me a "you can't sleep you just rested" message, or something similar. Does it have to be night to sleep?
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    (Now if only we can get the Experimental's new Vending Machine, the trifecta will be complete!)

Well, I haven't tried scanning it and then building it the old-fashioned way, but I DID build one with the bobthebuilder cheat and it worked. So your trifecta may already be complete.
  • Raging_direRaging_dire U.S. Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227222Members
    I'm assuming that's all for computer considering I'm playing Xbox and that ain't quite working for me
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    edited January 2017
    One of the best updates in a really, REALLY long time.

I remembered that after I played the last update for a bit I hopped back over to experimental to play that. I never left for the whole span of that update, except once. I felt the game was leagues behind, and I found it nearly unplayable. They had added so much in this experimental cycle that the base game felt very out of date. Now, with this update, I feel as free as a bird in the breeze once again... It's amazing what caffeine can do to you...
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members
    Was excited for the update but than I had to go on a trip, so I don't get to play it for a few days. Is terraforming completely removed now in the sense that you make a moonpool and it doesn't clear out a giant hole under it? (static terrain) or is it still just the lack of the item itself?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Was excited for the update but than I had to go on a trip, so I don't get to play it for a few days. Is terraforming completely removed now in the sense that you make a moonpool and it doesn't clear out a giant hole under it? (static terrain) or is it still just the lack of the item itself?

I'm not at the point in the game to test it out myself, but I have learned that building Foundations now demand a minimum distance as well as the original maximum distance from the ground. When choosing a spot, the wireframe only goes green if its about 2-3 meters above the terrain; when completed the support beams now extend to the actual ground, preventing the structure from altering the ground. This being the case, I'd assume that any attempts to clip a structure into the ground or cliff just forces the wireframe to stay red, so that no terrain changes (and performance dips) can occur. Mondo happy about this! :smile:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

As far as I know, terraforming isn't completely removed, but it is close to that point. On the track the devs are at, terraforming should be completely gone by March.

However, I'm obviously not a dev, so this is all speculation.
  • V1t0c0G4m3rV1t0c0G4m3r chile Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227039Members
    oooohh...
    I think I played too long the experimental version that already came out the update and ....... nothing, just great time :v
  • NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members
    What I got out of all that was that I really, desperately, truly NEED that raccoon.

I NEED it.

(And all the rest of the stuff you actually talked about is cool! I still need the raccoon.)
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    Nimmanu wrote: »
    What I got out of all that was that I really, desperately, truly NEED that raccoon.

Is that the thing on the bed in the vid? I thought it was a cat! I've not seen it before.

That aside, I've noticed the performance improvement and my game hasn't crashed, or not loaded terrain, in ages.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Now if only we can get the Experimental's new Vending Machine, the trifecta will be complete!
    The video for this update shows a vending machine, though the text below doesn't mention it.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I need dictions cat so bad!!!
  • DripdryDripdry Georgia Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226041Members
    Yeah, performance seems a little better. My old save (scrapped because base got totally fubar with update) still lagged sometimes but didn't crash anymore at least. Also the base wasn't springing leaks anymore, so perhaps that was fixed? Or else I just built enough reinforcement (at 66+ H.I. in Shallows)
    Getting more pop-in than ever before, it feels like... and that's with a new game. Is this a limitation of the video hardware? I'm only on a gtx970, if I get something really beefy will it help the draw distance?

Thanks devs! Game's looking great!
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    edited January 2017
    ping locators for Beacons and Vehicles have been completely revamped!

Not only are they easier on the eyes and they give distance readouts now, but they can be turned ON and OFF ...

Oh,, they can be turned off now?
    I was switching to experimental a week ago but switched back because I found them waay too big: I have a bout 20 or so beacons scattered at points of interest, and at some positions about 10 of them in view - while I love the distance readout, the huge icons clutter up a considerable amount of the screen, which I found pretty unacceptable in regards of immersion.
    I checked the keyboard settings, but couldn't find anything new (for turning the beacons off), so I switched back to non-experimental...
    The ping controls are in the PDA, right after the blueprints tab.
    @Tarkannen - in case you haven't tried, I did scan the vending machine on Aurora, build one in my base and get snacks out of it.
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    The ping controls are in the PDA, right after the blueprints tab.

*slaps forehead* Tnx, I see it now :blush:

Well, it's conceptually great!
    Maybe still a bit large for my taste - if they could be scaled down, that would probably be a nice feature...
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited January 2017
    @Sidchicken and @narfblat, mondo huzzah for the good news! I haven't been able to play in the last two days, due to my work schedule. But I am happy-- no, elated that we have not only functional base props, but that they look sweet now to boot! Keep up the good work devs, I know we all appreciate the hard work you all do. :smiley:
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    Where is the Coffee Machine?? Can't find it. Searched entire Aurora for it. :/
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Where is the Coffee Machine?? Can't find it. Searched entire Aurora for it. :/

It's not in the Aurora, it's found at one of the wrecks.