Next rebalancing inc?

2»

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    i see aliens win pubs almost constantly. played for like 5 hours straight the other night on a pub. marines won ONCE.

yes ppl dont lerk or fade as much, it seems, and those who do are either very good or very bad, not a whole lot in the middle.

as for the pregame ideas... do you want to never start rounds? if the need is for a "safe" place to practice lifeforms, please dont muddy up pre-game, hard enough to get games going sometimes. leave it to a mod. o, combat how we miss you...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    To me, Pregame only highlights the problems this game suffers (alien lifeform viability and fun factor vs learning curve), but it should not be turned into something it is not.

Pregame is for fun and practice, as well as a learning tool for new players. It is not meant to be balanced. Onos is a part of the game, so disabling it would not make sense. If spawn camping during Pregame is a problem, then fix it.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I played one round on 313 short after release and some people gone Lerk cause the higher initial HP.
    They wanted to try it out.
    Lets hope some of them play Lerk a bit more often now.

Now lets make the Fade great again and replace Stab (wich is useless anyway) with an ability that help new players.
    Vets can skip this ability, they skipping stab anyway. So nothing nothing would change for them.
    Looks like new players who play fade didnt understand the need of jumping after a short blink to hold the speed. (This mechnic is not very intuitive btw.)
    Maybe a new ability that help new players here.
    Any ideas? i have none at the moment.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    To me, Pregame only highlights the problems this game suffers (alien lifeform viability and fun factor vs learning curve), but it should not be turned into something it is not.
    Pregame is for fun and practice, as well as a learning tool for new players.

This.. so much this.

It's just for practice. Getting the feel for your lifeform's TTK -or anything else related to it- is worthwhile regardless of whether you want to do it with a lerk or an Onos.
    And forbidding that practice won't stop the root desire to choose JPs or Onos etc. in an actual game. (It might even encourage it, due to curiosity and unfamiliarity)

I wish we could have a deathmatch mode of sorts, absent any economy.

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    If I was to design a game like NS2, I would layer the complexity over time for accessibility. New players would feel good about upgrading their weapon/lifeform right away, but unlocking their full potential will require more time and practice. Late game weapons and abilities would be very powerful (like Stomp and Jetpack), but challenging to master. So I would not design Fade's highest tier attack (Stab) to be both powerful and very easy to use.

The main problem with Stab (and Fade) is that it is too risky to use. To the average player, they do not feel to be worth their costs. Maybe Fade's basic movement could be simplified, and more complexity could be layered onto proper usage of Metabolize and its late game ability (currently Stab). Hopefully more players would get more enjoyment out of playing Fade, without impacting veterans too much.

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    dePARA wrote: »
    Looks like new players who play fade didnt understand the need of jumping after a short blink to hold the speed. (This mechnic is not very intuitive btw.)
    Ironhorse and Ixian came up with a pretty good idea to make bink a tap only ability so you can't hold it down. I can't remember the exact details but it sounded promising for this exact problem
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wob wrote: »
    dePARA wrote: »
    Ironhorse and Ixian came up with a pretty good idea to make bink a tap only ability so you can't hold it down. I can't remember the exact details but it sounded promising for this exact problem

Sooooooo... something like the old shadow step? Are we going full circle?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited January 2017
    Rookies dont know when to jump. This game is full of tiny geometric extrusion that you must memorize for every map.

Why couldnt fades have auto chain jump (Quake style), no impact on balance.
  • KarpmanKarpman Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172488Members
    Rookies dont know when to jump. This game is full of tiny geometric extrusion that you must memorize for every map.

Wow I did not know that. That's pretty awful.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I completely agree - I'd extend it to let skulks have it as well.

Warsow also has auto-bunnyjump - it works great tbh.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Issue for most with fade/lerk is that at any given point a team has 3 players with 400-1000 hive, 3players with 1000-1700 hive and one player with 3500 hive.

So for average players lerks/fades there is always the strong possibility of getting solo'd when they engage the wrong player.

On the other hand a 3500 hive player against an onos does what??? (Sure the 3500 player will JP/SG and chase you down but 1v1 in a hallway...)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Man, I just realized I've been playing this game in some form on a regular basis for 14 years, and I'm still a terrible fade.
  • EbichuEbichu Japan Join Date: 2014-12-09 Member: 199999Members
    pebl wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    Pebl, he is speaking about a different kind of balance.

I find that Ns2 is usually won within the first 3-4 minutes, or even the first confrontations for rt spots.
    The rest is just more or less establishment of those surplus of resources/map control.
    So in the long run it is much much better to practice units/weapons available at start up.

YES.
    If skulks are able to clear marines on their native and destroy unbuild RT - 90% aliens will win
    If marines are able to kill gorge on alien's native extractor - 90% marines will win

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ebichu wrote: »
    pebl wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    Pebl, he is speaking about a different kind of balance.

I find that Ns2 is usually won within the first 3-4 minutes, or even the first confrontations for rt spots.
    The rest is just more or less establishment of those surplus of resources/map control.
    So in the long run it is much much better to practice units/weapons available at start up.

YES.
    If skulks are able to clear marines on their native and destroy unbuild RT - 90% aliens will win
    If marines are able to kill gorge on alien's native extractor - 90% marines will win

That is because the skill in pubs is so low like never before. the first engagements just show the huge skill difference.
    in comp no game is over after the first minutes. sure u can have a disadvantage at the beginning by loosing early rts or lifeforms, but losing a game is very unlikely.
    but its a pub thing. too many aliens still dont know what to do in what situation. the tutorials are good, but they dont teach what to do in general. the maingoals. too many skulks are still playin yolo and suicide in marines. so many gorges think their only purpose is building nice clockwalls and heal harvester. no lerks, no fades.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Rammler wrote: »
    so many gorges think their only purpose is building nice clockwalls and heal harvester.
    *building sneaky gorge tunnels.
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    Rammler wrote: »
    so many gorges think their only purpose is building nice clockwalls and heal harvester.
    *building sneaky gorge tunnels.

Refusing to play the game to any extent, blame stack, build tunnel*