Dear Devs, It's Not as Obvious to Us as it is to You

NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Here are a few things that I think are a problem, due in large part to the fact that there's no tutorial. You have a PDA that can pass for one, however. Therefor, I wish you would find a way to help us along the way. You are so familiar with the game that I think some of these things escape you from the perspective of a person NEW to the game. Obvious things to you, are not always to us.

- That you can repair the Seamoth with the repair tool. Perhaps the first time a Seamoth springs a leak, the PDA can say, "You may want to weld that" or something like that.

- Please make the literally game-breaking upgrades to Seamoth and Cyclops that can only be found--ONCE--on the Aurora NO DROP. They are so important that the Cyclops one is even game-breaking if you lose it, and bluntly, your drop system is rather confusing since OUTSIDE it makes you drop things, but INDOORS it makes you store it. Then the thing sometimes completely disappears (I think it falls underground, maybe?). To be more clear here, when you try to add things to storage, you right click. When you try to put things into your paperdoll, 99% of people think that right click will work here, too... same for upgrades. But they DO NOT work that. So if you're outdoors when you try to upgrade the Seamoth, you drop the precious upgrade and it vanishes--gone forever.

- Thank you for starting to tell us what to bring to wrecks/ lifepods. That is SUPER helpful!

- I picked up the radiation suit from pod 6, and still got irradiated. Lo and Behold, that one is incomplete and so I had to make a whole suit, anyway. I ended up with an extra gloves and suit to take up space in my lockers... lame.

- Even from the PDA entries, I didn't realize there was more to find on the Degasi island. The intarwebz told me later.

- I don't think most people would jump down the air shaft in the Gun in low settings. Perhaps make the wind a little more visible on low settings?

- It seriously took me a LONG time to understand about aerogel, and I see other people ask about it, also. When you get the Prawn blueprint, perhaps your PDA could say something about, "You must discover a source of aerogel before you can build this"? I don't know what it is about aerogel, but I see more people ask about this one thing than anything else. Possibly because, by the time you get the Seaglide, you've already discovered lubricant, and glass, etc. BUT, when you get the PRAWN, chances are that it's the first thing you've needed to make that you don't have a recipe for an ingredient at all. You get the prawn, but no recipe for aerogel, and you don't know that you have to manufacture it, either. So there's confusion... do I need to kill fish? Was it on the Aurora? What did I miss??

Anyway, sometimes I feel like people who have played a lot, or those making the game, think things are a lot more obvious than they are to new people.

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Nimmanu wrote: »
    Here are a few things that I think are a problem, due in large part to the fact that there's no tutorial. You have a PDA that can pass for one, however. Therefor, I wish you would find a way to help us along the way. You are so familiar with the game that I think some of these things escape you from the perspective of a person NEW to the game. Obvious things to you, are not always to us.

- That you can repair the Seamoth with the repair tool. Perhaps the first time a Seamoth springs a leak, the PDA can say, "You may want to weld that" or something like that.

- Please make the literally game-breaking upgrades to Seamoth and Cyclops that can only be found--ONCE--on the Aurora NO DROP. They are so important that the Cyclops one is even game-breaking if you lose it, and bluntly, your drop system is rather confusing since OUTSIDE it makes you drop things, but INDOORS it makes you store it. Then the thing sometimes completely disappears (I think it falls underground, maybe?).

- Thank you for starting to tell us what to bring to wrecks/ lifepods. That is SUPER helpful!

- I picked up the radiation suit from pod 6, and still got irradiated. Lo and Behold, that one is incomplete and so I had to make a whole suit, anyway. I ended up with an extra gloves and suit to take up space in my lockers... lame.

- Even from the PDA entries, I didn't realize there was more to find on the Degasi island. The intarwebz told me later.

- I don't think most people would jump down the air shaft in the Gun in low settings. Perhaps make the wind a little more visible on low settings?

- It seriously took me a LONG time to understand about aerogel, and I see other people ask about it, also. When you get the Prawn blueprint, perhaps your PDA could say something about, "You must discover a source of aerogel before you can build this"? I don't know what it is about aerogel, but I see more people ask about this one thing than anything else. Possibly because, by the time you get the Seaglide, you've already discovered lubricant, and glass, etc. BUT, when you get the PRAWN, chances are that it's the first thing you've needed to make that you don't have a recipe for an ingredient at all. You get the prawn, but no recipe for aerogel, and you don't know that you have to manufacture it, either. So there's confusion... do I need to kill fish? Was it on the Aurora? What did I miss??

Anyway, sometimes I feel like people who have played a lot, or those making the game, think things are a lot more obvious than they are to new people.

I have a friend who just started playing Subnautica, so I'm seeing firsthand the kind of confusion that new players have. For instance, he panicked right off the bat because he couldn't figure out how to craft water. Since the only recipe available in the fabricator is disinfected water, he went searching around the shallows for "coral" for ages... I finally told him that I would reveal how to get coral once he had caught "One of the baggy white fishes." Additionally, he thought that creepvine seed clusters exploded after getting ambushed by a stalker when next to one... had to spoil that they weren't deadly for him, as I can only imagine how screwed-over he'd be if he continued to think that.
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    I think part of the fun of this game is things aren't made super obvious, you have to figure them out.
    Furthermore there is always Google this page has several Wikis including an app which I am posting this from now that contains all the information you need

And if the devs did implement this i would like to see at least an option to turn it off.

Alot of games ruin themselves with tutorials and any seasoned gamer would agree that are usually not really important or nessacarry.

Finally don't be afraid to die a couple times in this game and don't try to just rush through it. Take it as it comes and you will enjoy it more than just trying to be handed everything by the game and speeding it up for yourself.

Just enjoy the work of art that these devs have created and don't try to appeal to a non gamer audience that needs a tutorial telling you to "swim up for air" and definitely don't try to to add it in like "You may want to repair that!" We know. Don't patronize your gamers if you want them to respect you as game creators

Ps
    Git gud
  • NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members
    edited January 2017
    I think part of the fun of this game is things aren't made super obvious, you have to figure them out.
    Furthermore there is always Google this page has several Wikis including an app which I am posting this from now that contains all the information you need

And if the devs did implement this i would like to see at least an option to turn it off.

Alot of games ruin themselves with tutorials and any seasoned gamer would agree that are usually not really important or nessacarry.

Finally don't be afraid to die a couple times in this game and don't try to just rush through it. Take it as it comes and you will enjoy it more than just trying to be handed everything by the game and speeding it up for yourself.

Just enjoy the work of art that these devs have created and don't try to appeal to a non gamer audience that needs a tutorial telling you to "swim up for air" and definitely don't try to to add it in like "You may want to repair that!" We know. Don't patronize your gamers if you want them to respect you as game creators

Ps
    Git gud

I don't think I could disagree with this attitude more. "Just look it up on the internet" isn't helpful. The point of playing a game is to be immersed in it, not to have to go look on the internet for things you don't even know you should be looking on the internet FOR.

The PDA making a comment here and there to give helpful suggestions is a pretty minor change, both easily implemented and easily ignored if you think it's "hand holding". Very condescending attitude that anyone who'd like to be informed that something they don't know can even be done is mentioned by the PDA is a "non gamer" or is somehow stupid in comparison to you. I've been gaming since before Everquest Original, if you even know when that was. I played MUDs when it was considered horribly geeky in a dreadful way to own a computer. Please feel free to refrain from calling me a "non gamer" with the insinuation that "non gamers" are stupid somehow in comparison to your exalted knowingness. There's nothing wrong with being a non gamer, anyway. Everyone's a non gamer at some point in their life.

I intensely dislike the superiority complex some people get. Reminds me of the "PVPers vrs the care bears" stupidity that was so common in the 90s and early 2Ks. Grow up, we're all gamers, and you're not superior because you can use the internet. Being forced to use the internet isn't good gaming, it's bad planning by game makers.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    On a separate note, @Nimmanu can you please put a space in the title between "As" and "Obvious?" Just bugging my grammatical side, is all.
  • NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members
    On a separate note, @Nimmanu can you please put a space in the title between "As" and "Obvious?" Just bugging my grammatical side, is all.

LOL, yes, dear.... :p

I noticed it earlier, but then thought, nah, I don't want to be fussy, I should just leave it and not nitpick... Glad to know it wasn't just me.