A new creature to save! The "Lost River Monster"

subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Behold, one and all! We're already pestering the devs to add so many creatures, why not add another to the list*?!?

Just a short while ago, the devs added a new skeleton to the sketchfab models: the "Lost River Monster," also known as "The skeleton nightmare fish"
Pics n' Sketchfab n' stuff:
3dmxi15c3q3w.jpg
https://sketchfab.com/models/829bb5db665441958de93d7e41576908
https://sketchfab.com/models/7a4938f977a547818f721f31833a3ac4
https://sketchfab.com/models/0d30afa5b7244a9992fb88d1cc3f46f2

This creature looks AWESOME. Just the pure terror it can instill with its skeleton alone seems enough to add it to the game- imagine what the full creature could do! I think the things I like most about it are its mixed body design (Arthropod-esque combined with vertibrate structure), and its uniqueness relative to other fauna in subnautica (3 eyes? miscillanious appendages extending down its carapace? A butt-chin almost to rival a reaper's?). If this creature was implimented in a live version, where would you imagine it living? What would the full creature look like? The wonderful @EternalGolem has provided his concept art for what he imagines the creature would look like (Which looks astounding, when fleshed out like that), but there are so many possibilities! Do any of you think it could look differently?
eenmf5fdk3ya.jpg

Well, there it is. What do you all think? I know that I DEFINITELY want this in the game!

*creatures, to my knowledge, the community currently wants (in order of importanct)
Rock Puncher
Ghost Leviathan

Comments

• YodellJABYodellJAB Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226589Members
    This'd be really cool to have in-game.
    It'd be awesome if they made it into some sort of elder version of the sandsharks (notice the resemblance?)
    Or just called it a Lurker or something and stuck it in the deep reefs or lost river (which would make more sense seeing it's skeleton is down there.) :)
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    I personal see it as kind of a rock puncher queen. Get a two for one creature combo with rock puncher and a giant skeleton nightmare fish. Or a new kind of leviathan. This one would really stand out from the rest of them.
  • LaMareLeonesLaMareLeones Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216410Members
    This is Freaking awesome! I yearn for the day I could come face to face with this beast.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    Dose anyone else think it looks like a xenomorph
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited January 2017
    It's a weird design. Jaws need more space to swing around, having that much bone behind it keeps the jaw from doing anything useful. Look at ANY animal skull for comparison... heck, examine your OWN jaw. That one looks rather like it couldn't open wide enough to use the huge teeth properly.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    It looks like a Protoss Reaver

latest?cb=20150411044720

Would be neat if it could spit out exploding hydrogen balls to wreck our subs and bases.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    It's a weird design. Jaws need more space to swing around, having that much bone behind it keeps the jaw from doing anything useful. Look at ANY animal skull for comparison... heck, examine your OWN jaw. That one looks rather like it couldn't open wide enough to use the huge teeth properly.

Yeah, now that you mention it that jawline is just fraught with problems isn't it? It could be fixed simply enough if the devs made that first carapace-section a little skinnier/more accommodating for that jaw to actually swing back.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

It could unhinge its jaw like a snake and swallow prey whole
    use teeth as mating display
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    Another design for the creature is that it was more of a centipede like crab. The lack of legs kind of debunk this idea though
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Another design for the creature is that it was more of a centipede like crab. The lack of legs kind of debunk this idea though

Only a bit, the leg segments could have been scavenged by other creatures.
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    I want this as a living predator in stead of an dead skeleton.
    I want this as a living predator in stead of an dead skeleton.

I think we all do!
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    KILL IT WITH FIRE! oh wait, water world. BOMB IT FROM THE ORBIT!
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Um, that would be terrifying!
    How'bout it be in a really secluded area/biome in below zero? Like the sea empress leviathan, and to make things a little more 'i want to poop my pants', that's just a baby.
    The adult is, "om-gosh that thing is HUGE!!"
    Bigger than the empress levi.
    But something that large would need a lot to eat, maybe it eats the other leviathans, reapers, sea dragons, emperors and empresses(assuming the babies you help are adults by now), but not the ghosties, to cytoplasmic.