Material Condenser

Shifter6Shifter6 Join Date: 2017-01-11 Member: 226556Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
I was playing a lot of subnautica recently, and after going on a metal run in my shiny new cyclops, I returned home with more titanium and copper than I knew what to do with. My fairly large base quickly became strained for storage space. However, after 20 minutes of crafting, all of my metal vanished into spare (and unfortunately never to be used) titanium ingots and batteries as a means of increasing my storage. I was wondering if there could be some method of bundling large "packages" of ores for easier storage using the fabricator in stationary bases, maybe even some sort of base-only component that can hold a lot of one item type, as bases become quickly cluttered by lockers that hold only one type of item (be that titanium, eggs, etc). To balance, I think it would be best to restrict this concept of large scale, single item storage to stationary bases only, but I think this feature would allow players to focus more on aesthetics rather than storage, especially if you like to collect all of the cool items/plants/animals subnautica already has to offer!

UPDATE:
I have given this idea a lot more thought and have come up with the Material Condenser. This will be a base component about the same size as a water filtration machine (meaning it cannot be built in a cyclops or a hallway). It will be a mid-late game blueprint (since a player really only needs to mass store metals once they have a cyclops, at least in my experience) and can be fairly expensive to create (IE not 2 titanium like the water filtration machine). The sole purpose of this machine is to take five of one item and create a "condensed" version of the item for easier storage (if this seems overpowered, even a 3:1 ratio seems very good). The condensed item is the same size as one of the original item (example: five lithium gets condensed into a condensed lithium that takes up one inventory slot). It costs double the amount of power to create a condensed item than it does to fabricate something, and you can only condense metals and inorganic, non tool, items. Only the material condenser can unpackage items (again for balance). Please leave thoughts and/or comments about this below, as any suggestions would be awesome!

Comments