Why Subnautica needs the Ghost Leviathan (And how it can be easily implemented)

CrimsonAcerCrimsonAcer Wisconsin Join Date: 2015-08-04 Member: 206766Members
So the Ghost Leviathan may not make it to 1.0, and that really bums me out. It's such a cool and different looking creature than the other leviathans. So far the game has 2 aggressive (Dragon and Reaper), 2 defensive (Sea emperor? and Sea Treader) that is, if you consider that thing a leviathan really, and 1 passive (Reefback). The gap between these leviathans is pretty big too. As you descend into the grand reef you aren't really bound to see Sea Treaders unless you actively look for them. There is also the danger factor. Warpers and Crabsquids are the only danger to a player inside a vessel like an exosuit or seamoth. And while you are making your way to the lava biome, you won't really run into these things more often than you can handle.

So I propose that the Ghost Leviathan be one of two dangers in the Subnautica world on the way to the lava biome. Increasing the amount of crabsquids in the grand reef an possibly adding a high probability for Warpers. Think about it, the grand reef is the most diverse biome, therefore it would make sense the precursors allocated more Warpers to keep an eye on that particular ecosystem. This can risk you getting pulled out of your submersible while you sit helpless. So back to the point: The players can choose between taking on a larger amount of mobs that can disable their submersible, or take on one giant creature who can obliterate their submersible.

Now the choice seems obvious, except for the simple fact that the Ghost Leviathan doesn't care about players. The Ghost Leviathan is a territorial creature. It sees the Seamoth, Exosuit, and even the Cyclops, as creatures trying to invade its territory. It will ram the submersibles, dealing damage to them. This will require a different approach, as players will have to leave their submersible to scout out ahead, making sure the Ghost Leviathan isn't swimming around. The creature is big enough that players don't seem like a threat to it. This also helps to explain why the River Prowler isn't ever attacked by it. The reason I thought of this was because the head of the Ghost Leviathan reminds me of a hammerhead shark.

This means that the only work needed to be done for this creature is modelling, basic swim animations, a very basic headbutt, and of course, spawn nodes. I really think this would be great, as there are really only big impressive creatures on the surface and the very bottom of the map. adding one in the middle would help bridge that gap and make it an overall more interesting world. Plus, the time required for players to get out and look around for the Ghost leviathan also lets them slow their role and really take in how beautiful the Lost River is.

Join the fight today, we may not be able to Save the Rock Puncher, but we can still Save the Ghost Leviathan!

YNh-lC_Mer9E9pZi4uKC14K904-H8yzZAEA35TrS8S0.jpg?s=cf471ac73c80d045cf90880eb06ff028

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Never give up the fight to save the rock puncher!

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

Join the fight today, we may not be able to Save the Rock Puncher, but we can still Save the Ghost Leviathan!

Why not both?

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Skope wrote: »

Why not both?

j1cc30yok0y7.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Why not both?

Does it make sense to have a Rock Puncher if Terraforming is going to be removed from the game?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    starkaos wrote: »

Why not both?

Does it make sense to have a Rock Puncher if Terraforming is going to be removed from the game?

I doesn't need to terraform. I've thought, give the Rock Puncher and the rocks with the Floaters on them a use. Have the Rock Puncher travel around and break these rocks (they could respawn after a few days) and scattering a mix of silver and gold.

Then once all the rocks in the area are broken, the Rock Puncher could go back to a designated spot (possibly in the Dunes to give that biome some use) and sleep.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

Why not both?

I doesn't need to terraform. I've thought, give the Rock Puncher and the rocks with the Floaters on them a use. Have the Rock Puncher travel around and break these rocks (they could respawn after a few days) and scattering a mix of silver and gold.

Then once all the rocks in the area are broken, the Rock Puncher could go back to a designated spot (possibly in the Dunes to give that biome some use) and sleep.

There's a whole thread on this.

Also, #SAVETHESKELETONNIGHTMAREFISH
  • CrimsonAcerCrimsonAcer Wisconsin Join Date: 2015-08-04 Member: 206766Members
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    I WANT A LOST RIVER LEVIATHAN although I will have to stay away from the LR and I have A base there :,(
    Just hide your base somewhere the big scary hammerhead ghost thing won't find you.

And it will all be ok.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

Why not both?

Yes? Just have it spawn near loose rocks and punch the hell out of them. Nevermind the actual terrain.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    I'd like to see the ghost leviathan integrated, but it doesn't really matter to me if it makes 1.0 I'm just fine with it being post release update.

Devs have enough work to do hammering out these remaining precursor bases and giving us and endgame. I'm vastly more interested in that then another leviathan.
  • SeaBuddySeaBuddy Join Date: 2016-09-22 Member: 222511Members
    I always thought that the PHANTOM LEVIATHAN was a better name for the thing. It sounds a lot cooler than Ghost Leviathan. Either way, I definitely want it in the game!
  • thereefulfreblethereefulfreble Join Date: 2016-09-27 Member: 222654Members
    It needs to exist! it just NEEDS TO. In all seriousness, though, it's a really cool idea that should be left in the game.
    I think it should be implemented before 1.0 The world just doesn't have enough creatures once you get situated!
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    To be honest I'd just like for it to be implemented AT ALL. If it's there only after 1.0, fine by me, as long as I do get to see that majestic creature at some point.
    Something feels off about having it after 1.0. Like it wasn't meant to be in the base game, which makes me sad.
    No, don't you die on me post! We need to save this creature!
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members

Are you seriously posting in your own thread to revive it? Luckily this is a pretty fresh thread so it isn't necroing...

Anyways, your thirst for awesomes and agrees only gives you disagrees from me.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2017
    I still personally think the Ghost Leviathan should be passive if they ever were to add it into the game. There aren't enough gentle giant type creatures in game in my opinion, and the GL's design always looked more like that of a harmless filter-feeding creature than a ferocious predator to me. The Lost River also seems a little too cramped for a giant aggressive creature to be swimming around in.

Making it passive would also make it even easier to program into the game as there wouldn't have to be any of the more complex predatory or territorial behaviours and animations.
  • CrimsonPantsCrimsonPants Wisconsin Join Date: 2015-12-21 Member: 210143Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    I still personally think the Ghost Leviathan should be passive if they ever were to add it into the game. There aren't enough gentle giant type creatures in game in my opinion, and the GL's design always looked more like that of a harmless filter-feeding creature than a ferocious predator to me. The Lost River also seems a little too cramped for a giant aggressive creature to be swimming around in.

Making it passive would also make it even easier to program into the game as there wouldn't have to be any of the more complex predatory or territorial behaviours and animations.

It sounds kinda easy to program a simple headbutt animation for the creatures attack, but I kinda disagree with you here. We have two types of giant creatures in Subnautica: Passive and Aggressive, with only the Sea Treader taking up the Defensive attitude. Sure some players may not see a creature who headbutts their seamoth and cyclops into oblivion to be dangerous, but I still believe it makes for an interesting concept to have a creature with the slightest reminiscence of the Reaper being a creature that doesn't even care about the player, just their vehicles. Though I don't really agree that it will make people get out and scout ahead. Why make it some sort of scouting thing when the devs can just add some sounds for the creature to clue players in.

Ojakokko wrote: »

Are you seriously posting in your own thread to revive it? Luckily this is a pretty fresh thread so it isn't necroing...

Anyways, your thirst for awesomes and agrees only gives you disagrees from me.

Contrary to popular belief, some people don't give a crap about agrees or awesomes, and simply want to see something they love added to this wonderful game. A bit sad that you seem to be against him simply for the plain assumptions that you make that everyone has some sort of sinister goal.