WARNING: DO NOT USE SEAMOTH TORPEDO MODULE

HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
Topic. I just spent somewhere around 20 hours trying to recover from a bug that duplicated Seamoth torpedo module every time the game was saved. Needless to say the effect is exponential. I attributed my first signs of lag to simply being around lava geysers with a lots of dead fish in them and building a base nearby. Then one fine day I pressed save and it took time to save, then I reloaded the game and loading time was way off, instead of normally reloading in 14-20 seconds it took 200 more then it takes to load the game first time. So I saved, which took now about 10-15 seconds and went to clear cache... loading it was even more painful and stupidly I saved again. Which brought my global-objects.bin to 550 mb, I backed up my save at this point finally. If I press save in this broken state the file goes to 1.25gigs which is really bad and I don't even want to know how long it would take to load that.

In the state of 550mb save file takes roughly 20 minutes to load, I figured out who was causing it on second try but fixing it took me almost a day. Every attempt required going through this : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=833395153 needless to say spending 20 minutes just to load, fouled my mood quickly. Worst part Seamoth was under lifepod 5 while I was on ocean floor with cyclops+prawn under underwaterislands building a new base. WAY off... and anything and I do mean anything that made a call to Seamoth itself would spiral the game into what I would call the epitome of LAG. I once managed to get to it and pull torpedo module out... and enter seamoth... figured I'd way out the lag. Eight hours later I lost 1 oxygen.

Anyway lots of cursing later, lots of retries later(it was never guaranteed I could even make it to Seamoth before the game lags out into oblivion) I did manage to get there spawn crash fish(could not for the love of me figure out how to spawn the version you can have in your inventory) and used propulsion canon to lob into offending Seamoth, probably first shot didn't make it to it... second shot succeded and 10 minutes later my game came back to life. I saved. global-objects.bin is now 400 kb.

1. I will ******* never again touch torpedo anything. PRAWN version is bugged to hell anyway and they suck.(you can't reload them, you can put torpedos in but they disappear or when 20 attempts later they stay in they still don't work).
2. I will murder every last gasopod on 4546B.(there were 3 of those things near seamoth making something already annoying enough as it is EXTRA annoying)

If devs absolutely must have a copy of broken save, I will attempt to upload it. Be aware my upload speed is not 5mb/s as provider claims it's somewhere closer to MAYBE 120kb/s.

Edit: Nvm, once I calmed down a bit I figured since it's just duplicated data it would archive pretty nicely and 7z packed it down to 16mb. - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B89agAKay-BiM2xsTmx2M0JiZXc
Some notes: What was affected is a Seamoth torpedo module(I believe with 4 whirlpool torpedos in it) stored in a storage module on Seamoth. 2x Seamoth torpedo modules stored on Cyclops were not affected, 2x PRAWN torpedo arms stored on Cyclops were not affected and one torpedo arm stored in PRAWN was also not affected.
If you attempt to load that save, be prepared for a VERY long loading time, using a mechanical drive at 7200 RPM(if memory serves me well) takes 20 minutes give or take. Saving increases file size from 550mb to 1.25gb.

Posted it here, instead of bug section so people would see this and perhaps heed the warning, possibly not rendering their save useless or nearly useless.

Marvellous bug report but please don't swear :smile: - Foxy

Edit #2: Ahem pardon me for that.

Good news tho. I managed to reproduce this on a new save in current stable 42313. Going step by step.
1. Started new game on survival.
2. Picked up fire extinguisher put out fire, waited for pda to load.
3. Got out of the pod and jumped into the big puddle while twirling like a boss.
4. Spawned Seamoth.
5. Added vehiclestoragemodule x1, seamothtorpedomodule x1, whirlpooltorpedo x2
6. Put storage module into Seamoth, lower left corner on Seamoth module paperdoll(it's right next to module port then)
7. Put torpedo module in and loaded my 2 vortex torpedos in it.
8. Took torpedo module out and put it into Seamoth storage box.
9. Saved.
10. Exited to main menu.
11. Loaded the save.
12. Saved.

From here on I just repeated steps 10 to 12. Here are results on file size for global-objects.bin. Wasn't as drastic as with my current save but you can see how it becomes a problem and fast.
16kb, 46kb, 102kb, 192kb, 326kb, 510kb, 754kb, 1067kb, 1455kb, 1929kb, 2495kb, 3163kb, 3941kb, 4837kb(noticed first hickup during "Loading World" sequence, total load time started to increase slightly), 5859kb, 7017kb, 8317kb, 9770kb, 11382kb, 13163kb, 15121kb(about 5-6 second hickup even windows loading cursor shows up if I mouse click or press keys it considers the thing as hungup, load time is now past 20 seconds from 11-12 it started with), 17264kb(saving isn't instant anymore), 19600kb, 22138kb.

Just a bit over 20 reloads and it started getting hickups with almost nothing in the save file except Seamoth with storage module that has torpedo module, player with fire extinguisher and that is it.

Things to note my Cyclops in my now recovered save has a locker with 2 Seamoth torpedo modules... they duplicate but not nearly as quickly, every save like that adds a dozen or so, same for PRAWN arm stored either in PRAWN or in a locker somewhere. I ran search through the file before and after removing each type from each location. Two Seamoth in a locker, two PRAWN in a locker and one PRAWN in it's own storage were only, after all the saving I've done, at about 380 hits. It still apparently duplicates but you have to actually search the file itself or noticing it would be hard. Warerproof locker(smallstorage) doesn't duplicate even tho I have 2 stored on Cyclops, I searched in the files and as it should be there are only 2 hits, found that interesting because those things kind of behave in a same way, it's an item that can be stored inside a storage but it is a storage item itself.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited January 2017
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    Topic. I just spent somewhere around 20 hours trying to recover from a bug that duplicated Seamoth torpedo module every time the game was saved. Needless to say the effect is exponential. I attributed my first signs of lag to simply being around lava geysers with a lots of dead fish in them and building a base nearby. Then one fine day I pressed save and it took time to save, then I reloaded the game it loading time was way off instead of normally reloading in 14-20 seconds it took 200 more then it takes to load the game first time. So I saved, which took now about 10-15 seconds and went to clear cache... loaded it was even more painful and stupidly pressed save. Which brought my global-objects.bin to 550 mb, I backed up my save at this point finally. If I press save in this broken state the file goes to 1.25gigs which is really bad and I don't even want to know how long it would take to load that.

In the state of 550mb save file takes roughly 20 minutes to load, I figured out who was causing it on second try but fixing it took me almost a day. Every attempt required going through this : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=833395153 needless to say spending 20 minutes just to load fouled my moon quick. Worst part Seamoth was under lifepod 5 while I was on ocean floor with cyclops+prawn under underwaterislands. WAY off... and anything and I do mean anything that made a call to Seamoth itself would spiral the game into what I would call the epitome of LAG. I once managed to get to it and pull torpedo module out... and enter seamoth... figured I'd way out the lag. Eight hours later I lost 1 oxygen.

Anyway lots of cursing later, lots of retries later(it was never guaranteed I could even make it to Seamoth before the game lags out into oblivion) I did manage to get there spawn crash fish(could not for the love of me figure out how to spawn the version you can have in your inventory) and used propulsion canon to lob into offending Seamoth, probably first shot didn't make it to it... second shot succeded and 10 minutes later my game came back to life. I saved. global-objects.bin is now 400 kb.

1. I will ******* never again touch torpedo anything. PRAWN version is bugged to hell anyway and they suck.(you can't reload them, you can put torpedos in but they disappear or when 20 attempts later they stay in they still don't work).
    2. I will murder every last gasopod on 4546B.(there were 3 of those things near seamoth making something already annoying enough as it is EXTRA annoying)

If devs absolutely must have a copy of broken save, I will attempt to upload it. Be aware my upload speed is not 5mb/s as provider claims it's somewhere closer to MAYBE 120kb/s.

Edit: Nvm, once I calmed down a bit I figured since it's just duplicated data it would archive pretty nicely and 7z packed it down to 16mb. - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B89agAKay-BiM2xsTmx2M0JiZXc
    Some notes: What was affected is a Seamoth torpedo module(I believe with 4 whirlpool torpedos in it) stored in a storage module on Seamoth. 2x Seamoth torpedo modules stored on Cyclops were not affected, 2x PRAWN torpedo arms stored on Cyclops were not affected and one torpedo arm stored in PRAWN was also not affected.
    If you attempt to load that save, be prepared for a VERY long loading time, using a mechanical drive at 7200 RPM(if memory serves me well) takes 20 minutes give or take. Saving increases file size from 550mb to 1.25gb.

Posted it here, instead of bug section so people would see this and perhaps heed the warning, possibly not rendering their save useless or nearly useless.

That is what I call determination. You deserve a gold star!
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    Patience really is a Virtue.

(especially with this BETA game)
    B)
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited January 2017
    R.I.P. Seamoth, he served me well and faithfully and was taken from me too early and in such a bad way. He was built on day 37 according to PDA, last dated PDA entry was day 372 it's a lot more then that at this point.

Managed to partially reproduce this on a new save. Working out on steps that are needed vs steps that aren't and whether it affects just Seamoth torpedo module or maybe PRAWN as well and maybe even warerproof locker. Anyway, I'll report after some more tinkering.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Doesn't this more belong in bug reporting? :/