What do you think about a Subnautica sequel?

13»

Comments

• FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    Fluffers wrote: »
    save the rock-puncher and bring multiplayer

Multiplayer will never happen and the majority of people don't want it to happen

Multiplayer could happen, but I would expect it to be similar to Don't Starve Together where it is a Multiplayer version of Subnautica or limited to 5 people or less.

I don't wanna sound rude but it's honestly best to just forget any thought about multiplayer. The devs themselves have been very stern on never making a multiplayer, and even if they wanted to, it would be a different game entirely.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    save the rock-puncher and bring multiplayer

Multiplayer will never happen and the majority of people don't want it to happen

Multiplayer could happen, but I would expect it to be similar to Don't Starve Together where it is a Multiplayer version of Subnautica or limited to 5 people or less.

I don't wanna sound rude but it's honestly best to just forget any thought about multiplayer. The devs themselves have been very stern on never making a multiplayer, and even if they wanted to, it would be a different game entirely.
    xong03s9ygad.jpg

Sorry if I'm overusing that image, but it really is true. And Obraxis/Flayra have been liberal with use of that sword. I'd have to agree with @Fluffers, probably best to forget about multiplayer for now.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited December 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Maybe I'm wrong to assume, but 3D environment multiplayer would probably be a much bigger engine rewrite compared to 2D plane and sprite based rewrite

No difference.
    But it is indeed big re-write

I figured as much. Just thought that, because of the various 3D angles and syncing them up between client side and server side, but it's probably all the same in terms of datastreams, just angles and coordinates that need to be synced ey
    We synced matrix4*4 (transformation matrix).
    For 2d world you can sync the same matrix just with more zeroes in it if you are lazy.

I would love to play Subnautica in coop.
    But making it is a huge challenge.
    At my first job in video game industry I was re-writing gameplay scripts so that they would work for co-op. Decision to make support for co-op was made long after development was begun and we've spent about a year in order to re-write every gameplay mechanic, and that was a huge team of experienced people.

PS. and for Gaben sake, save the rock puncher!
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Here's my take on a potential sequel:

The sequel would take place a few years after the end of Subnautica. You would be contacted by Alterra to serve as a consultant on a survey team heading to see if 4546B is suitable for colonization. Since the ship has been thoroughly prepared for an exploration mission, unlike the Aurora, which was only given aquatic equipment in case of an emergency, you would have access to more submarines, base parts, and tools than in Subnautica.

Since you're part of a survey team, you would be able to cover a significantly bigger area of the planet. This would provide a justification for being able to interact with more creatures and biomes - maybe this could be used to work in some creatures from the concept art that were never implemented?

Anyway, that's just my two cents. If you'd like to hear more of my ideas, I'd be happy to share them.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Anyway, that's just my two cents. If you'd like to hear more of my ideas, I'd be happy to share them.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty amazing. And justification for jumping onto a shuttle and heading off to a zone with a completely different climate and ecosystem, since you're trying to chart more parts of the planet (justifying how you can pop over to the Arctic Biome and the like)

Also I wager that the team would be VERY curious as to the Precursor tech.
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    It could be another planet in the same universe
    Say a desert planet, or a different ocean planet