[plog] Heavy load during beacon

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
edited November 2016 in Technical Support
Hi,

Recently on ns2large servers we are getting redplugs between 2s and 8s we did not get before. It happens most of the time during a crowed beacon or when entities are shuffle/moved to RR.
Before posting here I tried a few changes to get more data and understand where that lag was comming from and have done a mod with them. A few of them could be added into NS2 if needed without any drawbacks.

BeaconOpti mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798295173
With it I have mostly suppressed that redplug issue during beacons, but we do have one in some cases.

So far in the testing, it can be caused by:
  • More messages to be send when entities are placed/moved/created into relevancy for the client. (SmoothRelevancyMixin does help but for a beacon it instantly includes all the entities nearby (linear progress starts at 50% of the relevancy distance))
  • Creating entity is more heavy. Might be mixins or achievement stuff. In the Defense mod I got a really good perf improvement when disabling updates for webs and hydras when noone is nearby. Unlike the SleeperMixin I am using a periodic callback controlling self:SetUpdates(). This could be done, clogs are really heavy too (but that is out of the scope of this report)
  • Something has been changed in the update routine: somehow when a lots of entities are created we only get lag a few seconds "after" they were created (tested with a babbler launcher throwing 40 babblers/s) and not immediatly.

Also, the more entities are beaconed, the more lags we got. If aliens are on the base too the lag duration is increased. At the end of the round (when entities are move to the RR) we do got a lag too, but, it feels less powerfull than the one we got ingame. I think it might be the weapon entities players are holding but it is just a guess, I don't know what is done with them.

I have joined a plog about a game on a listening server (my own laptop) with myself and around 30 bots. Might not be the best environnement to reproduce the issue (I don't get lags, but that might be because I am beaconing bots or the network latency for updates is low) but I have made a few beacons on it:
  • Beaconing all the marines without any aliens in main
  • Beaconing with aliens in main
  • Killing all the marines, and beaconing (instant spawn, I got a "green script icon" but it might be just the entity creation consuming resources)
  • Regular beacon (with less entities)

If you need more data or explaination just ask I will try to do my best.
Those latencies are experienced on wooza playground (42 players) since one of the build before the 12 of november.

Edit: I will try to get a plog (client) at the end of a round on that server when the redplug is happening.
Edit2: I removed the ns2 dump out of the tech_support, don't think it is needed (was really heavy)