TremNS2 (Balance Mod based off Tremulous)

ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
edited January 2017 in Modding
Litereally Tremulous style gameplay in ns2.

I need at least 6 players on the server before I can get any decent footage for this, plus my server isn't really the ideal place to record this.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803670914
New ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=808128703

Info about the mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/zdrytchx/home/ns2-motd
There might not be anything there yet, but they may be in the future.

Source Code: https://github.com/ZdrytchX/tremns2

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    very interesting mod, cant wait to try it
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    "I've also made 2/3rds of ATCS but I need to restart ATCS developement because I accidentally copied the map over itself. "
    You need to start creating backups!

Also, if you can convert Tremulous maps to .obj, you can import them to ns2. Zavaro may be able to help you out there. (I figure finding an exporter/converter for Tremulous is going to be easier than importing it into ns2 directly.)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Theres already Unvanquished dud.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    Some feedback after testing by myself:

Sentries are a little too deadly and spammable right now, but feel too frail. (Although that does create the opportunity for an alien weapon that hard counters them)
    Skulk wall jump vertical force could use tweaking. The NS2 version does not let you jump up/down properly
    Lerk Spike damage is insane.
    Babbler and Hydras are actually reasonably strong now!

random suggestions:
    give all marines a melee attack (right click?), and remove the axe's weapon slot
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    edited December 2016
    Some feedback after testing by myself:

Sentries are a little too deadly and spammable right now, but feel too frail. (Although that does create the opportunity for an alien weapon that hard counters them)

1. You can jump over them easily.
    2. This is just how Tremulous was actually, though there is usually a blindspot somewhere that you can attack.
    3. I've reduced the turret range in the latest patch, but still haven't fixed the sentries inability to shoot 360 all around the turret. The sentries are litereally aimbots, they don't even have any aiming, they just shoot and hit. I'm not sure how I'll fix this but it would be great if I could.
    Skulk wall jump vertical force could use tweaking. The NS2 version does not let you jump up/down properly
    Yes. Not my plans right now, though my major concern is not jumping upwards only, but rather that there are major gameplay things that you can't do like simply sticking to the ceiling: at 3:59 in this video
    Lerk Spike damage is insane.
    Nerf'd... I mean buffed... I mean set to structural type. It's meant to destroy turrets but lacks ammunition, so it has a high energy cost.
    Babbler and Hydras are actually reasonably strong now!
    What if I said that hydras are actually weaker, or are the same as before? ;P
    give all marines a melee attack (right click?), and remove the axe's weapon slot
    Rifle's melee isn't useless, and Tremulous never had a backup melee weapon, so not a priority. I've set the pistol as un-throwable since that's the replacement for the blaster.
    Theres already Unvanquished dud.
    Tremulous 1.2 protocol 71 is just as active in developement... oh wait, there was like 3 patches in the past month, my bad.
    You need to start creating backups!

It was already borked from almost the start so I've started from scratch, and encountered even more bugs.

It seems like Tremulous 1.3 developement is even more active than NS2's!

FdmCt3J.jpg
    Also, if you can convert Tremulous maps to .obj, you can import them to ns2. Zavaro may be able to help you out there. (I figure finding an exporter/converter for Tremulous is going to be easier than importing it into ns2 directly.)

I have no idea how to do that. Maybe if you can find me a q3map2 type bsp to .obj or goldsrc engine .bsp formats, it might be do-able, since I already know Archie has a HL1 (GoldSRC) to NS2 convertor. I haven't seen any q3map2 to GoldSRC .bsp convertors yet however.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members