Keeping track of scanning progress.

DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
A recurring "annoyance" I find myself faced with when it comes to scanning in Subnautica is that there's no indication if you're still missing a scan. Often at the effective end of a save file I sit down and go through the PDA to check if there's anything I can recall that I do not have a scan entry for. Of course, I also don't want to know in advance that the world has, say, five types of coral because I'm not supposed to know that.

It occured to me that none of the biome names ever are given within the game itself, so the following scenario could work to amend both. The moment you enter a biome for the first time and get its specific PDA log file, the biome itself becomes a scan entry. To complete a biome entry, every scannable entity that belongs to that biome needs to have been scanned. Until such has been accomplished, the entry will only read something like "more data required". This way, you will always know if you are missing something and have an indication of what you are missing/where to search for it. Plus, the rewarded biome entry would help tie the separate scanning experiences together.

A completist like la moi would be grateful.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Okay, so question; aside from what one thinks of my ingenious solution, how common is this "annoyance" of not knowing if there's anything and if so what left to scan?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Some games with bestiaries or the like will have a long list of ??????'s or other such missing entries, with some that are truly hidden until found (Usually post-game or secret bosses and the like), maybe something like that? Except PDA's will be ones that are hidden perhaps.
  • ShambanationShambanation Australia Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224148Members
    I'm actually big fan of what the OP suggested, it's elegant and works.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Some games with bestiaries or the like will have a long list of ??????'s or other such missing entries, with some that are truly hidden until found (Usually post-game or secret bosses and the like), maybe something like that? Except PDA's will be ones that are hidden perhaps.

I actually hadn't even thought about all the data downloads. You are correct; that's a matter that needs a solution too. I would prefer no beforehand information on how much there is to collect. It works for some games, but it might take away from the "I survived; now what?" aspect of the game. Some entries currently have data numbers and if UWE can add info where you got your data downloads from, that'd cover most of the Degasi files and lifepod files, leaving Aurora and wreck files. I have no idea what would work for them.
    I'm actually big fan of what the OP suggested, it's elegant and works.

Thanksies! :*