Deep Grand Reef and base dilema...

HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
Love Deep Grand Reef... but my base can do without crabsquids. While on current stable I've yet to see those EMP blasts even after killing a squid, squishing one with Cyclops with my lights in his face and them being seriously pissed at me and trying to steal poor ol' Cyclops after they gave up chasing me around. This was my "preferred" main base location. If they can indeed shut of all the electronics and effectively sit outside my window and troll me until peepers fly this is really, really disappointing. There was such a great spot I found, it had everything one could want for a home turf: some thermal vents for reliable energy, a roof... yet still easily can drive Cyclops there, good illumination, varied terrain, it was just perfect... except for squids and warpers...

Now after checking all the geysers and vents, the only other spot I like is the Koosh Zone that tidbit near lava caves with Mushroom Forest walking distance away. But that wreck just ruins everything... and I hate ampeels, hate them lots because I can't even kill them for what ever obscure reason. I wore off a brand new thermal blade and a regular knife poking one and he didn't give a damn about it. Not a lot of places with heat sources and I don't want my big base to be in shallows. Only other places are right smack under Floating Islands... it is literally barren, has hordes of bone sharks and giant rocks above your head, reminds me of fallout 4 and building "vault" aka metal shack in a cave and just waiting for someone to throw a grenade and bury you under a pile of rocks. There's mountain too... but that is like... even more boring in a different way, also includes reapers, oh and you have to drive around the mountain.

Really wish we had some, static wildlife deterrence contraptions, the kind that won't kill everything in range like Seamoth.

So sad now.

Comments

• ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    edited November 2016
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    Really wish we had some, static wildlife deterrence contraptions, the kind that won't kill everything in range like Seamoth.

So sad now.

There are other places to make bases than just thermal vents, but that statement there. It'd be really nice to have something that is not insignificant to craft which gently deters creatures from being in an area. I'd say 2 computer chips and 4 titanium, maybe some polyaniline, and you have to build it in place, like a thermal generator, or maybe like the new base mounted air pump. And it would gently shock creatures that get too close, or constantly emit a subsonic noise that irritates creatures... Whatever explanation you like for ridding creatures from a medium sized radius around it.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Thosar wrote: »

So sad now.

There are other places to make bases than just thermal vents, but that statement there. It'd be really nice to have something that is not insignificant to craft which gently deters creatures from being in an area. I'd say 2 computer chips and 4 titanium, and you have to build it in place, like a thermal generator, or maybe like the new base mounted air pump. And it would gently shock creatures that get too close, or constantly emit a subsonic noise that irritates creatures... Whatever expansion you like for ridding creatures from a medium sized radius around it.

Possibly some variant of the current generator that targets any creature in range? It would simply push creatures away.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    If they can indeed shut of all the electronics and effectively sit outside my window and troll me until peepers fly this is really, really disappointing.

I don't think they EMP bases or the cyclops. There's an easy way to test though;
    1. Start a new creative game.
    2. Warp yourself to the deep grand reef (or swim if you like, whatev).
    3. Build a small base down there.
    4. Use the console to switch to survival mode.
    5. See if the crabsquids and warpers actually bother it.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Yea I definitely should experiment with crabsquids. Problem in my survival is that I don't have a "real" base despite having, I think, all the blueprints so my seamoth can't go deep enough to check that, I haven't made prawn suit and with no upgrades I'm afraid I'll never get back to cyclops, not that I even have resources for prawn. Ah well, I guess I'll go with suggested and just run a new save with creative just to check that.

Warpers are just annoying as hell... can't say I care all that much about them being there or not. It's the crabsquids that rustle my jimmies like their life depends on it. The good thing is that they are fairly fragile and easy to kill... but I don't want to kill all the fauna in sight, that cuts appear of the base by like a 1/3.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Just for kicks I tested this. If you're in a base the fauna basically ignore you and the base. I was able to induce a crabsquid to EMP by shining my flashlight on it through a window, but it didn't shut down my base power, just deactivated my flashlight for a few seconds.

Then for fun I got silly and spawned a swarm of reaper leviathans outside the base. Those ignored me too... until I went outside, of course!

So the bottom line is you can safely have a base in the DGR... the only dangerous part is going to be the actual construction, which will require you to be outside with the squids.
    edited November 2016
    Oh boy, this is more like a benefit for me rather then a drawback :wink:

Will need to still check some specific tidbits but this should be super fun. Tho with the speed my saves start crashing I may need to put some extra work into avoiding terraforming as much as possible but that will get fixed sooner or later.

Tho I'd imagine sooner or later leviathan class will be able to damage the base... not really looking forward to it tho.

Edit:
    Well. I played around with it... woooheee is it wonky. Lights from prawn and cyclops don't seem to get crabsquids to discharge emp but seamoth does and flash light does. Put a spotlight on your base and crabsquids will go nuts and I really do mean nuts they will spam that emp like crazy tho it doesn't seem to do anything to spotlights or base. I thought it also doesn't do anything to prawn but then... it shut off power. My guess emp just isn't finished or range on it is a lot shorter then what it seems so you are actually rarely hit by it, maybe cyclops is affected too who knows, maybe spotlights are affected too they just need crabsquid to be a lot closer. But... I found out I can use prawn's grappling hook to attach to crabsquids and then punch them with claw arm in the eyeballs or use drill arm to put in some pain. Granted survival knife seems to do a whole lot more damage then either one of those, even propulsion arm does a lot more. Switching prawn mods is hella buggy too... worked fine at first then... disappear when you swap and no visual swapping can be seen.

Wish I knew what the plans were for damage to bases and such. Is it only going to be hull integrity based... or will hostiles be able to damage your stuff too eventually.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    But... I found out I can use prawn's grappling hook to attach to crabsquids and then punch them with claw arm in the eyeballs or use drill arm to put in some pain.

Wait, you can grapple them without it becoming a Rodeo of Teleportation and Clipping that'll leave you stuck below the map with the crabsquid despawned before you can expell your breath?

It does do what you described sometimes but usually crabsquids are kind of safe, rays... not so much tho I never been teleported it usually just rays going who knows where with me attached.

Since I didn't have any depth upgrades I didn't explore my spot much further, once I describe I'm sure folks will realize which spot I'm talking about, apparently it also houses entrance to Lost River and Inactive Lava Zone... :astonished: I sure know how to pick em... Not really sure if it's such a great idea now... I just keep going back and forth with this :disappointed: