Did performance (I pray) get any better with this update?

2»

Comments

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited November 2016
    I've noticed it's gotten a little worse lately. Hopefully the removal of terraforming next update helps.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    List of things I'm experiencing:
    • Definite framerate drop whenever I'm near adult reefbacks.
    • Somewhat related, very often when I experience a multi-second freeze, the moment I can play again a reefback wail sounds. This also occurs in the middle of the Safe Shallows where so far I've not seen any reefback.
    • Every new area I visit, the first time I get there the framerate is superb. The next time I visit, the framerate is not so superb anymore. Some areas become inaccessible due to how much they stutter, while most remain at least a playable rate.
    • Steadily growing number of sharks in the Safe Shallows.
    • I'll have to retry once more after deleting my world data, but it was reproduceable prior. If in the Grand Reef I follow the border with the Crash Zone, when I turn back the wreck disappears. Any fragments remain and fall down until they clip through the ground and I lose sight of them. If I save and reload, the wreck returns.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited November 2016
    Ooooh man, yes the number of sandsharks invading the Safe Shallows is definitely apparent in the Bones update. Before it was an oddity, something that might happen after many many hours of gameplay, but now... I had a shark wander in within the first thirty minutes, a second soon after, and in my first three hours? There's four of them and two stalkers lurking JUST outside of my lifepod.

Though it was amusing to see the monsters butting heads at times.... Spoiler'ed to save viewing space.
    61mohsefahdm.jpg

pvuozugs4mze.jpg

This is just a meter away from my lifepod too. I submitted a feedback report with all four sharks, a stalker, and my lifepod in the same view but I didn't take an actual screenshot of it :/
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    It seems to me that after the first Sandshark wanders into the safe shallows, it drops an egg.

Then if that egg isn't found and picked up by the player, a second shark hatches and also eventually lays an egg.

I've had up to four sandsharks form in this manner near my shallows base.
    (four seems to be the limit that will form in any given area)

I've also noticed that base building on the edge of the shallows and kelp forest at first, tends to drive the Stalkers deeper into the kelp. (as long as you don't flash your knife too much around them)

But, if a stalker egg is left behind and hatches near your base, that creature will hang around the base till driven off. (I usually bump it hard a couple of times with the seamoth to do this)

B)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I know some people won't want to do this, but I got my game performance to improve dramatically by deleting all the saved games and starting fresh. Despite having only 1 or 2 active games at a time and deleting all my old ones in-game, I had literally dozens of saved game folders in there, and if I cleared out all my saved games and started a new one, the game was saying I had days of play time on a game I'd started only an hour before. So far everything is running smoothly with my clean save folder. We'll see how long it lasts.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I know some people won't want to do this, but I got my game performance to improve dramatically by deleting all the saved games and starting fresh. Despite having only 1 or 2 active games at a time and deleting all my old ones in-game, I had literally dozens of saved game folders in there, and if I cleared out all my saved games and started a new one, the game was saying I had days of play time on a game I'd started only an hour before. So far everything is running smoothly with my clean save folder. We'll see how long it lasts.

There's no question a fresh game runs better. What we're having a problem with is when that new, fresh game, gets developed with a medium to large base, you have a seamoth and plenty of power generation and lockers, then performance becomes abysmal. This sequence has been getting worse and worse with every new update.
  • PabloSLPabloSL Argentina Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224162Members
    Theere's further optimization to come right? I mean I'm not saying the game looks bad(it looks great), but the visuals are not nearly enough to be stressing GPUs like it currently does.
    I've 2 pcs, the weaker one runs a RX 460 2gb, I game with that one at 1600x900, most of the time I get smooth gameplay, but every now I then I get a big stutter, that doesn't seem right it should be able to handle the game at that res
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    PabloSL wrote: »
    Theere's further optimization to come right? I mean I'm not saying the game looks bad(it looks great), but the visuals are not nearly enough to be stressing GPUs like it currently does.
    I've 2 pcs, the weaker one runs a RX 460 2gb, I game with that one at 1600x900, most of the time I get smooth gameplay, but every now I then I get a big stutter, that doesn't seem right it should be able to handle the game at that res

It's how the game is handling changed game data. The more changes made ie. nodes harvested, techs picked up, items made, base expansion - the more it slows down. If you play the game a lot the frame rate chokes in many areas and becomes unplayable. That's why deleting the cache (ie all those 1 byte text files mentioned in other posts) improves performance. The game is no longer looking for changed files as you move around.