Reinstalling Windows?

Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
This probably isn't the place to ask about this, but since somebody told me reinstalling windows would help with unreadable mono files. Somebody also told me that reinstalling the c++ visual packages would help, but to no avail, didn't work. Will reinstalling windows wipe some of the stuff on my computer, and if it WILL help my problem, should I go to a computer tech professional, (one down the street), or do it my self?

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    That's kind of like going to an auto place and asking if you should replace the transmission, saying only "the car is having trouble running." Insufficient data.

Is this still in reference to this? http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2305537

If SN did work, and stopped, that tells us something, though. No Oculus driver shenanigans? Replacing third party drivers like VR drives sounds like a likely culprit, they could very well try to get in the middle, screw up, and cause that kind of error? Make sure it's not something like that first.

Going by what you said about a non-displaying window. That sounds like the rendering isn't... uh, starting whatever, properly. Re-download your video drivers, the current version. Then uninstall the video drivers, completely. Reboot using generic drivers, and reinstall the video drivers you downloaded. Reboot. Shouldn't hurt. In fact, if it does mess anything up, a clean install will probably be a really good idea. Worst thing that should happen is maybe desktop icons get crammed together. Layers on layers of drivers starts to do weird things.

Before you reinstall, scan the disk for errors and failing sectors, though. (Sector scanning takes forever.) If the HD is failing, you really should clone to a fresh drive or reinstall on a fresh drive.

Reinstallation is fairly easy, just time consuming and annoying. Save all your data files and stuff you want to keep, externally. Back up or write down saved passwords, as well. Then, reinstall and update, and set everything back up. Having a legit windows key is fairly important. If I reinstall, I just back everything up and format the drive. Generally, I've just used new drives.
    edited October 2016
    That, and http://pastebin.com/Sy5MgkYP goes blah blah blah and then talks about d3d11 render and oculus failure.

Much quicker to reinstall directx
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=34429

And I have no idea what to do about the Oculus thing, maybe a broken version snuck in and if you write over that with real drivers, they'll work properly and do nothing? :/
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    That's kind of like going to an auto place and asking if you should replace the transmission, saying only "the car is having trouble running." Insufficient data.

Is this still in reference to this? http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2305537

If SN did work, and stopped, that tells us something, though. No Oculus driver shenanigans? Replacing third party drivers like VR drives sounds like a likely culprit, they could very well try to get in the middle, screw up, and cause that kind of error? Make sure it's not something like that first.

Going by what you said about a non-displaying window. That sounds like the rendering isn't... uh, starting whatever, properly. Re-download your video drivers, the current version. Then uninstall the video drivers, completely. Reboot using generic drivers, and reinstall the video drivers you downloaded. Reboot. Shouldn't hurt. In fact, if it does mess anything up, a clean install will probably be a really good idea. Worst thing that should happen is maybe desktop icons get crammed together. Layers on layers of drivers starts to do weird things.

Before you reinstall, scan the disk for errors and failing sectors, though. (Sector scanning takes forever.) If the HD is failing, you really should clone to a fresh drive or reinstall on a fresh drive.

Reinstallation is fairly easy, just time consuming and annoying. Save all your data files and stuff you want to keep, externally. Back up or write down saved passwords, as well. Then, reinstall and update, and set everything back up. Having a legit windows key is fairly important. If I reinstall, I just back everything up and format the drive. Generally, I've just used new drives.

Thanks for the replies! Seems like a slightly complicated process, may have the computer technician look at it... Also you say in your second reply that the d3d11 fails. Could that possibly be affecting the files? And if I fix it, do you think it will help? Also yes, this is still a reference to that, this has only been happening for 5 - 6 months now :)
    edited October 2016
    It's fairly basic troubleshooting. You just have to figure out what changed, and when it changed. Then you can work on the why, and lastly, figure out how to address it. None of which you really posted, aside from the initial log. I'm flying fairly blind here.

Hardware failure? Software failure? Driver change?

In this case, I kind of suspect a bad version of something got stuck in and screwed up everything else. Little things can easily screw up entire systems. A borked Oculus got installed by accident and screwed up DirectX maybe. The fix is to generally completely uninstall, delete leftover install files, and reinstall everything. Easier than reinstalling windows.

So, you either learn how things work, or throw money at the problem and have other people make the problem go away. XD I've seen a tech department in action, for software it was easier for them to just format and reinstall than to monkey with all the crap that computers pick up. For hardware, it's nice to have a set of known-good components to switch in and see if that fixes it. And you pick up tidbits, like don't skimp and get a cheap power supply, or they will suck and cause weird issues.