NS2_hydrosity2

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
This map will be a sequel to the NS1 map ns_hydrosity.
NS_Hydrosity Marine Spawn
T8qDCVX.jpg

I don't have a specific layout in mind yet, but I'm going to follow the spirit of the original hydro (it had the marine start in the center of the map) and try to do something different with the layout.
This map will be set in and around a dam wall. I'll also be doing as much as I can to make the map seem wet.

These screenshots are from a test room; a double node inside the dam wall. The lower entrance is on the marine side of the map & the upper entrance is on the alien side of the map.
9KIKLRw.png
L1IYLzM.png
PeAXnlO.png
IpFXn4a.png

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    marines starting the in the middle of the map is definitely something I've thought about in the past, but I've never figured out how to set up the lanes so that its not a marine stomp (imagine a successful relocate to crossroads on summit that costs no res and happens instantly) so just a quick heads up, you may want to plan out the routes and map layout in basic form (paint - boxes and lines works fine in my experience XD )

I really like the sound of the map, and I hope to see more screenshots soon as you progress :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Oh great @Mouse, I bet this map is going to be all wet!

Nah good on ya, have fun mapping this shizzle. That map needs to make a return for real yo!!!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Sounds like an interesting idea. I hope you can pull it off.

Also I'm looking forward to that big dam wall.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did you ever see the drydosity map? That might have also been your work but I do not remember.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    Did you ever see the drydosity map? That might have also been your work but I do not remember.

Yep, ns2_drydosity was my map. But I didn't wind up happy with it; the rooms were too big & open. Some parts of it will probably re-appear in ns2_hydrosity though.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Some screenshots from the greybox of a "double" node I've been working on.

There are 2 power points and the res nodes don't quite have LoS to each other. There's only the lower entrance at the moment, I haven't decided where to put the entrance(s) to the upper section. The lower entrance is on the marine side and these nodes might even be close enough to be naturals for the marines.
    RMkz3J9.png
    BWefTKj.png
    rW78weG.png
    uiV1fAu.png
    edited October 2016
    Some screenshots of two tech points I'm working on. One will be a starting tech point & the other is a "mid-field" tech point.
    Let me know if you want to see any different screenshots of the area, I'm really wondering how effective that layout will be.
    NkW9MK4.png
    Overflow Control tech point, overflow resource nodes & Turbines tech point (behind a wall on the right)
    The Overflow Control tech point will be a starting tech point. The Turbines tech point probably won't be, but it's on track to have a lot of natural resource nodes nearby.

JLCdxOG.png
    The Turbines tech point & Upper Overflow resource node
    The Turbines tech point is only partially complete, but the main thing to note is that its resource node (on the right) is quite vulnerable.
    The Upper Overflow resource node has a window to the rest of Overflow (and might even control the power to the central area), but there's no direct access to the central area.

RNFlvmK.png
    Looking from the Upper Overflow node to the Lower Overflow node
    The Upper Overflow resource node has a window to the rest of Overflow (and might even control the power to the central area), but there's no direct access to the central area.
    Note the broken window between Central Overflow & Lower Overflow.

Brv35iZ.png
    The Overflow Control tech point & the Lower Overflow resource node
    The Overflow Control tech point is very tightly linked to Central & Lower Overflow.

J7reFGz.png
    The walkways lead to the Turbines tech point. The stairs lead up to the Lower Overflow resource node. The tunnel leads to Central Overflow.
    I have a feeling lerks & fades will have fun in the Central Overflow <--> Overflow Control <--> Lower Overflow loop.

8GonDEJ.png
    Environment test - Intake
    Getting distracted & playing with cinematics. Trying to see how wet I can make Hydrosity.
    Something similar to this will wind up as an approach to a tech point.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    A little worried about the stairs and ramps. Verticality can be good, but the issue with that is that you're creating bottlenecks that strongly hurt alien players attempting to walljump.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Zavaro wrote: »
    A little worried about the stairs and ramps.

But the Gorges love them!

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2016
    TinCan wrote: »
    Zavaro wrote: »
    A little worried about the stairs and ramps.

But the Gorges love them!

As long as the marine base is downstairs and you don't need to flee tacticle retreat.
    edited November 2016
    Some more WIP screenshots
    Tp6X2gt.png
    The current (incomplete) layout. Turbines techpoint is on the left & Overflow Control techpoint is up the top.

70Gllej.png
    Turbines tech point with some turbines.

sc2vryg.png
    Turbines Intake. This is one of the approaches to the Turbines tech point

PKXfGYo.png
    Dam Wall. I'm determined to give this hydrosity rain soaked outside portions. This will be one of them.