[BUG] Slow frame rate starting after Cyclops build

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
edited October 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
This is for the September release. Game was created new in that release.
Recently I've added the Cyclops, and have noticed that whenever I go to or near the Cyclops, the frame rate drops to a slow stutter. I've left the sub, and swam away - and normal speed returned.

Now I've added the PRAWN suit - and the slowdown seems to be more prevalent. I did a SAVE from the Seamoth, and quit to the Desktop, to see if a restart would help. Hmm - it must have take a good 5 minutes to actually load the game and get running again! This happened once when a save was done in the Cyclops.

Link to Logs: http://pastebin.com/w9TTMjgS

Comments

• harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    More details: Had did a save in LifePod5 - and returned to the game. The Seamoth was outside - and when I got in - it was in "super slo-mo" mode with frames ticking at about 2 per second.

I got back to the base and once out of the Seamoth, normal speed resumed. Given the slowdown seems to come (now) Seamoth and Cyclops - it appear 'vehicle' related.

I had the PRAWN in the Moonpool, and crafted the pickup arm, and loaded it - took it out for a spin - and it ran at normal, smooth speed.

I have about 40 hrs in this second game, and up till the Cyclops was created there were no slow down issues. It seems if I even just swim to into the proximity of the big sub, the framerate begins to drop.

At this point the Seamoth and Cyclops are close to unusable - I REALLY HOPE I don't have to rebuild and start over - yet again!
    Still more details - the plot thickens!

I saved at my base, then swam to the Cyclops, which had NO vehicles aboard. Interestingly the sub performed perfectly - no tick-tock frame rate. Took it out some distance - left and swam to an island - all frame rates are back to normal.

SOOOoo - it now seems there is something to having a vehicle (PRAWN or Seamoth) in the Cyclops that may be creating the slowdowns... Very bizarre - but then bugs are NOT logical!

More details on the slowdown. It appears to be related to movement of the Seamoth. I had it in the Moonpool and went out - and it was moving at the very slow frame rate. When I exited he Seamoth, I began swimming at the correct frame rate. I swam up against the sub (to try and move it), got the "55 gallon drum" clunk sound, and the graphics slowed down - then recovered. Inside the 'moth, if i sit motionless, I can see the various buoy icon's blinking at the slow rate, fish are swimming slowly... then after a few secs there is a little 'bump' in the display and the view begins drawing the outside details at the correct speed. Then if I touch any movement key the slowdown kicks in - then after about 5 seconds or so - the redraw recovers and returns to the normal speed.
  • JagaJaga Join Date: 2016-10-11 Member: 223051Members
    Try creating a totally new Cyclops, and Seamoth or Prawn, then docking the new Seamoth/Prawn at the new Cyclops, and testing speed. My guess is your issues come from physics/collision related to docking an older model at the new sub.
    @Jaga - thanks for the idea. Should I delete/destroy the existing subs or just move them out of the way?
    You can just move them, or swim a distance away and use the console to spawn the new stuff in an open area to test with.
    @Jaga - your idea worked! Created a new Seamoth, and it works just great. I did come up with a way to get rid of the bad one: Park the bad 'moth by some cargo boxes, and use the Propulsion Cannon to throw them at it. In a short while it will explode into parts - then they disappear!
  • BacchatusBacchatus Join Date: 2016-10-12 Member: 223071Members
    @harrrzack Too bad I didn't think of this before I deleted my experimental save... Wonder if that would have got me access to the area around my corrupted Seamoth.
    @harrzack Awesome, glad to hear it worked. They might have changed the models for any of the vehicles in the game, or the docking.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    I have had this SeaMoth problem for a long time, and it persists between and across updates. Every new SeaMoth I build eventually succumbs to this lag demon. Let me know if your new SeaMoth gets laggy after a few days. I have given up making new ones, and now have mine simply parked next to my shallow base as a solar charging station for powercells.