Survival of the Fattest goes international

GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
edited October 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
The “Survival of the Fattest” (SoTF) server was created in early 2013 due to a lack of decent available Natural Selection 2 servers in central Germany.

The aim was to provide a server on which all kind of players could come together and enjoy Natural Selection 2 without any constraints (network, server performance issue or the need to sign up for some community)

Sticking to this original goal Survival of the Fattest will now expand to be available worldwide.

We aim again to provide a server in those region that currently don’t have enough decent server available.

Current list of SoTF servers:
  • Survival of the Fattest - Frankfurt, Germany
  • Survival of the Fattest #Rookie Only - Frankfurt, Germany
  • Survival of the Fattest #US West - Northern California, USA
  • Survival of the Fattest #South America - São Paulo, Brazil
  • Survival of the Fattest #Japan - Tokyo, Japan
  • Spark Crafter Collective - Frankfurt, Germany

If you want to help us with this goal feel free to join our Steam Group.

We are currently looking for more local moderators and players for each region.

If you live in another region that currently lacks any kind of descent server feel free to contact us.

We are open for all kind of feedback and suggestions.

Note: Survival of the Fattest is a private project of mine and and does not represent Unknown Worlds Entertainment (UWE) in any way.

Comments

• ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited October 2016
    We aim again to make a server available in those region that currently don’t have any decent server available at all.
    Beg me a pardon, but this is half true (or half a lie). Until you state definition of "decent" server!
    I don't want to be ( but someone must be ) a pain in ass here, but ns2 does not have clear publicly available definition of basic terms for:

- minimum / recommenced hardware for "decent" server
    - same specifications for client are several years old
    - ns2 don't have clear definition of vanilla game play
    - ns2 don't have document describing requirements for servers to be whitelisted
    - ns2 don't have clear specification what is arcade

.. regarding arcade point, there is at least one server for Europe with decent performance if it can handle 46 slots. There is already tons of server in some regions like NA or Europe running by community.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    ZycaR wrote: »
    We aim again to make a server available in those region that currently don’t have any decent server available at all.
    Beg me a pardon, but this is half true (or half a lie). Until you state definition of "decent" server!
    I don't want to be ( but someone must be ) a pain in ass here, but ns2 does not have clear publicly available definition of basic terms for:

- minimum / recommenced hardware for "decent" server
    - same specifications for client are several years old
    - ns2 don't have clear definition of vanilla game play
    - ns2 don't have document describing requirements for servers to be whitelisted
    - ns2 don't have clear specification what is arcade

.. regarding arcade point, there is at least one server for Europe with decent performance if it can handle 46 slots. There is already tons of server in some regions like NA or Europe running by community.

"Decent" means in this context just that the server can hold the default update rates and has no interpolation overruns etc. with less than 100 ms latency

Also the post is more about the new servers in US West (which currently has to few servers compared to the amount of players), South America and Japan than about the old server in EU which runs since Jan 2013.

Edit: And before somebody asks these servers should not to be seen in any way as official UWE servers.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll try seeding the Frankfurt one in the upcoming days - I very much enjoyed playing on it when it had games running (and I also seem to be getting a ridiculously good ping on it).

Do you have any plans of adding spectator-only slots, too?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    Luchs wrote: »
    Do you have any plans of adding spectator-only slots, too?

Not really atm as those kinda go against the 1st rule of SotF in some way:
    Quote for steam group:

1. Every player has equally the right to play at the server.
    2. We do not tolerate any kind of cheats or exploits.
    3. We do not tolerate any kind of bad behavior again other players.
    4. We do not tolerate any kind of actions that lowers the game experience of other players.
    (e.g. Blocking a command chair and not actively playing as commander will lead to a ban)
    5. Every player has the right to ask for the reasons behind any admin's or mod's decision either in public or in private.

Beside those rules it is our main goal to have a fun and nice stay at our server together with you.