First Cyclops Impressions

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
Just got the Cyclops built - whoa! Wadda piece 'o hardware!

But - lotsa rough edges here. Such a huge vehicle needs some really sophisticated nav equipment. I hoping the current HUD is just a dev-tack-together to get things going.

With this sub we need a constant readout of data across the bottom of the screen - depth, depth beneath keel, power status, compass direction, coordinate display and ships attitude. It would seem this sort of thing wouldn't take a huge amount of programming either - all data that exists, and just needs to be put in an easy-to-see place.

All the 'grid-rectangles' and extra data in the current cam display just gets in the way - again - if there were a data-bar across the bottom of the screen (maybe top as well?) pretty much all info could be seen and we'd have a nice clear view.

The camera interface is fairly rough as well. How about as soon as you go into running-the-sub mode, the camera just 'live' all the time - defaulting to the normal front view, but simply allowing the mouse wheel to roll thru all the various cameras. There is also the possibility of assigning buttons to the various cameras they could be assigned and jumped to instantly. How about a 1-2-3 zoom toggle tied to a button?

I'm using a Logitech G13 gamepad - I'm sure all the others can do similar mapping.
[Aside: I run the game with left hand on G13 - right on mouse and can drive the Seamoth like a hotrod!]

There is so much possibility for the Cyclops - but currently, overall, it is sorta hard to get an idea of where you are in the world.
And a bit clunky to control. After only 103 hrs in the game - still loving it and lusting for more! :)

Comments

• CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I assume that's why it is made to be piloted by 3 people, and that's what's on the consoles to the left and right. I would like dynamic information readout on those, though. Maybe you at least have to leave the helm and go over to one of those to use the cameras.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    I assume that's why it is made to be piloted by 3 people, and that's what's on the consoles to the left and right. I would like dynamic information readout on those, though. Maybe you at least have to leave the helm and go over to one of those to use the cameras.

Well - since it has been pretty firmly stated there will be NO coop and NO multi-player (can you imagine - PVP in Subnautica?!) - it would seem unlikely there will be two other 'mates' on the bridge. :)