Balance "fix" discussion

13»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can awesome a post even if I disagree. I enjoyed his post overall.

But no, rookies don't need coaching or mentoring. The returns are marginal at best. I could go find and paste my giant explanation as to why I think this, but I don't think it is necessary right now.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rusty wrote: »
    Also, please bring back the teambalance. The nice mechanics that kept players dead if teams were offset by two players or more. This ensured the same amount of alive players on the battlefield - and with the balance issues - the least we can do is try to ensure the same amount of bodies are alive at the same time.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    The problem is that we keep shifting silence around trying to make it less impactful, and it just happens to cover up for the weak early alien game when its on the shift, but in truth that mechanic is just too strong to be in the game and should be replaced by something effective but not unfair - after the early game issues are addressed.
    I strongly feel that removing / replacing this would be disastrous.

The one problem i have with team balance is that it's almost as if you're being punished on the winning team. The second the other team starts losing often they will begin to leave the server and as a result your team loses players as well. I've seen countless games dragged on simply because most of the time one team is incapable of grouping up and ending it, then with team balance enabled the game gets dragged out significantly longer.

On top of this i often play a very aggressive play style where for most of the game all i really do is pressure, kills and deaths don't really matter whereas i focus down rts and tunnels. Countless games i sat and waited to spawn when i could have been helping end the game in a turtle or a slow decline of the other team. All this mechanic does is make me want to sit at the end of giant long hallways and mow down aliens so i don't get forced to spectate mid game, it encourages me to farm aliens and not die, no one likes a player that goes 50+ kills and maybe 5 deaths.

As for silence in your opinion would removing/replacing it be disastrous because its so broken at the moment or why? As i see it removing it would force aliens to actually play lifeforms instead of saving for onos spams
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    migalski wrote: »
    I've seen countless games dragged on simply because most of the time one team is incapable of grouping up and ending it, then with team balance enabled the game gets dragged out significantly longer.
    I totally agree; Sometimes the game isn't over though. There's plenty of times where there's really good games going on, but people leave due to X.
    Or at the start of the game when marines are down two players - it can be pretty harsh - esp. if a reset can't go through. So maybe some parameters around it? or disable the team balance if aliens control three tech points. There's options available. But removing it altogether was pretty harsh.

In regards to silence, I just feel like it's such an important part of NS2. I really appreciate having the option to be a silent Gorge for those ninja tunnels.
    I'd love to have some way to counter it though. I remember from NS1 scans were free. Perhaps have a couple of personal scans available for each marine player with a small radius. I'm sure that's not the BEST ideas, but there should be some compromise for sure.