Have I been boned by an update?

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
I bought Subnautica a few weeks ago when the August-2016 was the current version. I played steadily and the the September (38227) came along - and I installed it. All seemed to be well - but shortly after that I completed the Aurora radiation repair, and ever since then (about 9/29 or so) any Fabricator (other than the one in Lifepod5) takes 10 minutes to do a fab. (details of my tale of woe are in the Bug reporting section). I've tried all manner of tricks to get the Fab to run at normal speed - but so far the only thing that has worked is to start a new Survival game. Which makes me think the "cross-update" game (not Subnautica) has been broken some how - and it isn't really a bug.

I've read somewhere that sometimes an update will hose an existing game - is that true?

If so - I'll try and recreate all the stuff I HAVE found so far using "nocost" and other 'cheats' only to get myself back where I am now.
I did fix the leaks in Aurora, - does the 'fixleaks' cheat also end radiation or would I have to do that too?

Kind of a bummer - if this is true - how does one install an update an not mung your existing game?

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Have you tried turning it off and on again
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    How do you do that? It always just seems to be 'on'!
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited October 2016
    harrzack wrote: »
    Kind of a bummer - if this is true - how does one install an update an not mung your existing game?

Well, if it's a major update and you've only been on stable, you kind of don't.
    @dealwithitdog - not sure what you are saying - what... with each major update you HAVE to start over? WOW - that would really suck! :s
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    @dealwithitdog - not sure what you are saying - what... with each major update you HAVE to start over? WOW - that would really suck! :s

I mean, it's an early access game. A lot of things are gonna change, so yeah. It sucks but it makes sense.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Welcome to the early release cycle. Its the price we all pay for a game that isn't out yet.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    The game usually updates cleanly as long as you're only going from stable to stable. Sometimes something gets borked though and you need to start over, and of course all bets are off if you've been playing experimental.
    Ralij wrote: »
    Welcome to the early release cycle. Its the price we all pay for a game that isn't out yet.
    QFT.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I've read somewhere that sometimes an update will hose an existing game - is that true?

It is very true. You never know what a major update is gonna do to your save. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes the unimaginable.

So yes, it's probably best to just start a new game.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    edited October 2016
    Also its stated pretty clearly when you try to load am old save in an updated game version what the consequences are.

Can't be complaining that new updates are not 100% back compatible. Its am E.A. game after all.

At version 1.0 and beyond I imagine we won't have those issues with our saves. Cross fingers.
    Well - I have recovered from the PITA of the one breakage - and with the cheats available I was able to rebuild my new game (purely in the Sept release) - then go back to straight play.

It is a testament to just how good this game is now - in early access - I simply didn't think of the game as 'unfinished' - and the sort of problem I had was rather strange - and didn't "quack" like a bug...

In any case I've got a new game about where I was before - and a bit wiser for it all.
    Sorry for all the whining! B)