H.A.R.P

2»

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    tickera wrote: »
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    It's not me that you have to convince. The ESRB is the group that rates games, if they decide that red blood or harpoons is violence enough, the M rating goes on and the game becomes harder to market. FULL STOP. They can probably change the offending items and resubmit. Rationalize all you want, they simply do not care.
    https://esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.aspx

Who said that harpoons would give it an M rating? There are plenty of games out there with things that are straight out weapons, (Ratched and Clank, Jack and Daxter, etc...) and those don't even scratch an M rating.

"If." The operative word was "if." Things are counted together, and everything contributes to the rating.

That said, it was the wrong argument, my bad.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/523897653306355954/?ctp=3#c371918937268702725
    They don't want to add guns.
    The High Acceleration Razor Projectile (or H.A.R.P) is a primitive tool and form of self defense. Due to the lack of any weaponry whatsoever, I've come up with something that's not really a weapon, but more of a tool that can be used as a method of self defense. The HARP (from now on its just HARP) is basically a Harpoon, with a sci-fi twist. The HARP's primary purpose is for catching fish in early game. It would be a basic craft available within the first hour of gameplay and is used to shoot at small edible fish, kill them and reel them into your inventory. This also does damage to larger fish, and can potentially kill. Later on, the HARP is upgradeable and can be upgraded in the modification station to have various forms. Such as one which pushes the enemy back when shot, one that screeches a loud noise and deters predators, or a distraction projectile which lures predators away to the position that you fired it in. That is my suggestion.

This idea is a device to move a projectile at high speed, intended to damage a living creature. That is pretty much the definition of a gun. Calling it an acronym does not change anything.

Ok you got me, but theres a very thick line between a straight out firearm (gun) and a hunting tool, even if its not used as a hunting tool.

I mean, they don't call it a harpoon gun for no reason.

Well, i've never referred to it in my own opinion as a 'harpoon gun'.

I mean, it's absolutely a harpoon gun. Just because you never said that doesn't change what it is. A gun (not a firearm, mind you, just a gun), is simply a tubular device designed to discharge a projectile. A harpoon, when fired from a device like the one you are suggesting, is a projectile. This is a harpoon gun.
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    It's not me that you have to convince. The ESRB is the group that rates games, if they decide that red blood or harpoons is violence enough, the M rating goes on and the game becomes harder to market. FULL STOP. They can probably change the offending items and resubmit. Rationalize all you want, they simply do not care.

Who said that harpoons would give it an M rating? There are plenty of games out there with things that are straight out weapons, (Ratched and Clank, Jack and Daxter, etc...) and those don't even scratch an M rating.

"If." The operative word was "if." Things are counted together, and everything contributes to the rating.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/523897653306355954/?ctp=3#c371918937268702725
    The High Acceleration Razor Projectile (or H.A.R.P) is a primitive tool and form of self defense. Due to the lack of any weaponry whatsoever, I've come up with something that's not really a weapon, but more of a tool that can be used as a method of self defense. The HARP (from now on its just HARP) is basically a Harpoon, with a sci-fi twist. The HARP's primary purpose is for catching fish in early game. It would be a basic craft available within the first hour of gameplay and is used to shoot at small edible fish, kill them and reel them into your inventory. This also does damage to larger fish, and can potentially kill. Later on, the HARP is upgradeable and can be upgraded in the modification station to have various forms. Such as one which pushes the enemy back when shot, one that screeches a loud noise and deters predators, or a distraction projectile which lures predators away to the position that you fired it in. That is my suggestion.

This idea is a device to move a projectile at high speed, intended to damage a living creature. That is pretty much the definition of a gun. Calling it an acronym does not change anything.

Ok you got me, but theres a very thick line between a straight out firearm (gun) and a hunting tool, even if its not used as a hunting tool.

I mean, they don't call it a harpoon gun for no reason.

Well, i've never referred to it in my own opinion as a 'harpoon gun'

Uh, a line such as what exactly? The hunting tool has "not for shooting mans" on the side, while the gun has "for shooting mans" painted on?

But, some naughty person could cross out the "not" and suddenly... oh, wait...

If you were thinking intelligibly you'd know, a harpoon gun is incredibly inneficient at killing larger creatures (mans). It has a one time fire and launches a sharpened projectile at an average speed to incapacitate/kill small fish. Very slow reload, terrible weapon; great tool. A firearm uses ammunition (bullets) that are chambered and hit, igniting the pressure sensitive gunpowder in the bullet and propelling a shell at high speeds. Very fast reload, great weapon.

'Uh, a line such as what exactly? '

Humans have been killed by far less than harpoons. Why are you bringing up "classic" firearms in a discussion about a crappy SN idea? Do you really believe that people who play computer games don't know what a gun is, or do you just like coming off snobby?

The game already has the propulsion cannon for small fish and chucking things at big fish, and the fish can be caught by hand with minimal effort regardless. This entire idea is unnecessary, as it adds nothing new and does nothing for gameplay.

I did get curious and look up some harpoon videos, though. Kind of neat.

Humans can be killed by literally anything, you could kill someone with a cardboard box if you made them choke or hit them hard enough with a rolled up piece. Because you called it a gun, and I explained how a gun isn't a harpoon, and i do enjoy being snobby. This is meant to be available far earlier than the propulsion cannon and not nearly as efficient, minimal effort? Have you even tried catching peepers? As stated above and many times before, its not a necessity, but a luxury item. It HELPS you, It makes it easier to catch fish and ward of predators. A large majority of things in the game are unnecessary.

And yes, harpoons are neat.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited October 2016
    Just have Stalker Teeth act as harpoons when loaded into a Propulsion Gun, have them fire out with the tip pointing forward to shoot them into stuff. Hell, just make Stalker Teeth do extra damage when shot out of a PropGun.

Pros:
    +Potent ranged attack
    +Ammo is free and naturally spawns regularly
    +Ammo is small and only takes up one inventory slot

Cons:
    -Have to hang around Stalkers to collect ammo, which can take some time and be dangerous
    -Can be a hassle if you run out of ammo far away from a Kelp Forest biome

=Have to choose between making enameled Glass or using it as a weapon