Thoughts on fragment randomizaiton

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
I understand that the way that Subnautica is designed, the general world terrain is mostly static. The Aurora always crashes in the same spot, biomes are placed in the same areas between playthroughs, and monster spawns such as Reapers and Wrecks are usually found in the same spots every time. The only thing that changes between new games is the starting point of Lifepod 5, which isn't drastically different but helps make each playthrough feel fresh. I realize there's not much that can be done to change this (such as procedurally generated terrain) and I'm fine with this. What I was wondering though is, would it be possible to change how blueprints and fragments are scattered and found. As a means to keep gameplay exciting between new games, and to keep new and returning players on equal footing, could it be made where fragments randomly appear in different biomes everytime between new games?

Even though the story starts and plays through the same way, it seems odd that the ship explodes exactly the same and stuff always appears in the same biome everytime. Debates have been made in the past that new players would have a rough time enjoying the game as they don't know where to find stuff while experienced players can unlock stuff quickly. It's great to know where to go to get what you need, and you still have to explore to find fragments, but for me at least it takes away some of the survival if you know beforehand what to do first. This is just a thought I had, let me know what you think of it.

Comments

• CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I get a little confused about how intact the wrecks are. When the Aurora is sitting there before it explodes, it looks almost completely intact, yet there are gigantic chunks of hull lying all over the place. I think more fragments should be found within the ship, but it should be larger environment that is harder to navigate. I kind of imagined huge schisms within the ship that you would have to use the exposit to navigate with the grappling arm and such. Of course making the game as realistic as possible isn't always fun. Just looking for stuff is great too.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Agree on item spawns and locations being randomised. With each new game, it just gets easier and easier....nearly a chore, to go to X Y and Z for said pieces. Takes the thrill out of it.

Even keep the same loot tables for each biome, but changing the contents around for each wreck in said biome.