Modular Torpedoes?

EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
I realized that I used the torpedos like... twice. Grand total.

Chassis:
  • One-shot chassis. Cheap, and expendable.
  • Reusable chassis, the warhead is lost, but torpedo falls to the floor and preserves the other components.
  • Returning chassis. When combined with the directional propulsion, it attempts to return to storage on the firing vehicle after expending warhead or not hitting target. Boomerang torpedo, reloads if it doesn't expend warhead. (Not 100% sure on this one...)

Warhead:
  • Gas/Vortex as vanilla
  • Flashbang flare! A VERY bright light used against fish with massive eyes in the darkest depths would probably be very inconvenient for them eating me... Enemies with eyes flee, Crabsnakes wonder what all the fuss is about.
  • Stasis torpedo because why not. Works like a fully-charged stasis gun shot
  • Grapple module, comes with a cable. Does not consume warhead, reusable in reusable or returning chassis.
  • Light module- hangs in water, provides light for a time over large area, can be retrieved and recharged (2-5% of cell power) and reused
  • Anchor- grapple module, but with a secondary grapple that attempts to anchor itself to terrain. Potentially reusable, but you'll probably NOT head back for it...
  • Kinetic- Zoom. Thump. Ow.

Guidance:
  • None (as now)
  • Homing- target lock
  • Proximity- moves forward slightly and hangs in water, activating on proximity to sharks/crabsquid or larger
  • Camera-guided (100m range? 200m?)
  • Returning module, for returning chassis.

Propulsion:
  • Normal (free)
  • High-speed, more energy cost
  • Directional (required for all guidance and self-guided applications to function correctly), increased energy cost.
  • Teleport- warps from silo to target, VERY useful with homing, significant energy cost.

This gives torpedoes a LOT more potential, while not making them much more violent at all. You can still create loads of torpedoes for the same amount, a Vortex would simply be 1 titanium for warhead/chassis each. All crafts give 3 torpedoes, I guess? Resource requirements would need tweaking.

Also, the Cyclops could really use the ability to make minisub upgrades like the Moonpool. Or at least torpedoes.

Comments

• ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    Maybe also cluster mines. One torpedo fires a short ways and pops releasing a net of tiny percussion mines. No chain-explosion effect. Percussion creates a tiny yet painful shockwave that drives away creatures. Can be retrieved if not used. Ignores small fish

Also, depth charges. A big version of the percussion mine that is dropped to scare critters away from an area for a couple minutes. Might attract bigger predators.
    Useful for mining the areas where bonesharks, sandsharks and the like roam in thick droves.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited September 2016
    Artorius wrote: »
    Maybe also cluster mines. One torpedo fires a short ways and pops releasing a net of tiny percussion mines. No chain-explosion effect. Percussion creates a tiny yet painful shockwave that drives away creatures. Can be retrieved if not used. Ignores small fish

Also, depth charges. A big version of the percussion mine that is dropped to scare critters away from an area for a couple minutes. Might attract bigger predators.
    Useful for mining the areas where bonesharks, sandsharks and the like roam in thick droves.

*sigh*
    <span style="font-size:50px"><span style="color:#FF0000;">NO.</span></span>
    No weapons. This is not yet-another-add-guns thread. No cluster mines, no depth charges, no explodey stuff.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Artorius wrote: »

*sigh*
    <span style="font-size:50px"><span style="color:#FF0000;">NO.</span></span>
    No weapons. This is not yet-another-add-guns thread. No cluster mines, no depth charges, no explodey stuff.

Sorry, I was thinking a sound pulse. Not actual bombs. Kinda like a repulsion gun blast but not nearly that powerful. ONLY A DETERRENT. Not a weapon. I realize now that I didn't mention that. My bad.

I don't want weapons either. I like the feel and challenge of being passive as much as possible.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Torpedoes could still be used to subdue foes without killing them. Rabbit Rays and its relatives are poisonous to the player, but may not be to other creatures. I'm thinking about torpedoes filled with sedative. I don't think that that is too violent. Go to sleep, Leviathan.

What about torpedoes that are nets? We can catch a few fish at a time.

Torpedoes that are 'tags' ? We can keep track of the Reaper's location from anywhere.
    Oh, that tag one is a good idea. Reduce non-loaded tagged critters to vague signatures, and when the player gets close and they activate, they're in range and the player gets a more exact location.

Dunno about nets and sedative. I don't think the engine has any good way of simulating a net. Think of the possible collision issues, and if not collision issues, it could look funky clipping through things. Would that kind of dev time be worth the payoff? I know that grapples work, if something latched onto an NPC and onto terrain, it could tether it, right?

Sedative... do you mean tranquilizer darts in hardcore torpedo form? Might make more sense to make a torpedo that uses infuser serums. One-shot homing transfusions that you lob at Reapers and run away.

So, a tag warhead, transfusion warhead, and fire-and-forget guidance that homes in on the nearest large target (shark or above in class)?
    I see what you are saying about the nets and I think you are right. May be like a gravsphere based torpedo that keeps the small objects within a specific area, and then you can catch them. I don't think it would have many uses. I'm just describing the stasis rifle round at this point.

Tranquilizer torpedoes are what I was going for. I think that would be really cool, especially when trying to get to the Aurora and collect materials around areas like the mountain island. It might be nice to disable warpers, too. I'm on the Xbox One version so I haven't seen that anything of that sort would be necessary, but you might have a better insight than I do.

I haven't used the transfuser yet, so I don't think I can properly contribute to that concept.

A tag warhead would be cool, especially when searching for stuff. Maybe something that tells you if a creature is coming to you fast enough that you wont be able to reach your vehicle in time? Or so you can just know where a creature is. I don't think itd be a good idea to allow smaller creatures to be tagged, otherwise player will fill up their screens with beacons. Maybe give it a short battery life?
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    I would like a torpedo that looks more interesting to predators than I do. Doesn't even have to be a torpedo, but something that I can drop in an area and all predators in the vicinity will go after it instead of me or my seamoth, allowing me to do whatever it is I'm doing in relative peace. Something fast/sturdy enough to avoid being instantly destroyed, but short lived enough that there is still some risk. Kind of like using chaff to confuse IR missiles in modern warfare.
    stevenwojo wrote: »
    I would like a torpedo that looks more interesting to predators than I do. Doesn't even have to be a torpedo, but something that I can drop in an area and all predators in the vicinity will go after it instead of me or my seamoth, allowing me to do whatever it is I'm doing in relative peace. Something fast/sturdy enough to avoid being instantly destroyed, but short lived enough that there is still some risk. Kind of like using chaff to confuse IR missiles in modern warfare.

This should be its own thread. Great idea. Being passive and still being able to do things in areas where dangerous creatures lurk would be super nice. A simple robotic bait fish could even work. Swimming nearby and attracting predators away from you. But also being short lived and attracting more total numbers of predators to make it only work for a couple minutes before making things worse. Giving time to scan a fragment without having to use a propulsion rifle. To keep attacking predators that get too close.
    Adding a torpedo warhead with this capability would work for larger predators.
    edited October 2016

Oh, quite yes. A decoy warhead that projects the image of something juicy-looking and makes a lot of noise. Decoy II warhead with the same, but scent trail as well for blind things.

It could modify the propulsion, go slow initially, speeding up when something gets close. Or if you use guidance propulsion, be even more distracting.

I don't really think tranquilizer as a way of killing warpers is a good idea. They're interesting because they're impossible to deal with, but not hard to drive off. If I could shut one down, my very next move would be to ram or knife it to death.

Tagging them, though? And even having an audible proximity alert when a tagged warper teleports in near me? That would be downright convenient. Or, I'd use one-shot chassis, tag warhead, proximity guidance, and guidance propulsion to create tag-mines that I could just leave sitting around until a warper lands on it and gets tagged. :D
    I like the decoy idea a lot, especially for the Reaper. That means that I don't have to sacrifice my Seamoth and swim away when there's no escape.

What about a remote control for the tranquilizer? You decide when to use it.

If we had a torpedo that could shock a Reaper, that might be nice. It can have a short battery life of 3 or 4 discharges, and could be set off by proximity. If the Reaper swims towards you, ready to strike, it is zapped like the Seamoth Perimeter Defense System.

• archimedes200archimedes200 United States Join Date: 2016-09-28 Member: 222666Members
    Flashbangs seem like a really good idea. They don't kill, and can stun multiple predators at once. They could have a cool explosion (visual) effect, but only temporarily stun creatures. I suppose if you're too close it could make the screen white and prevent you from moving for a few seconds. I think it would make sense to have them in tool form as well as on a sub or PRAWN.
    Flashbangs seem like a really good idea. They don't kill, and can stun multiple predators at once. They could have a cool explosion (visual) effect, but only temporarily stun creatures. I suppose if you're too close it could make the screen white and prevent you from moving for a few seconds. I think it would make sense to have them in tool form as well as on a sub or PRAWN.

Also, they could be inversely effective as to how deep you find things. Surface fish would be slightly dazed, Crabsquid would be blinded for a while, and panic. (And probably EMP immediately...)
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    And the best thing about a flash-bang... There becomes a second use for crashfish powder. Would really be nice to have more than one single use for it. I suppose one could build a locker full of back-up welders...
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    Or:
    A jet black torpedo.
    With a white Skull and Crossbones printed menacingly across the warhead.
    A yellow and black radiation label is emblazoned on its side.
    You know that this Torpedo means danger.
    You fire the beast and watch as it launches away from you - an ominous green glow emanating from the rear, a huge growling rumble thundering in its wake.
    The torpedo hits a Reaper, a direct strike to the leviathan's forehead and...
    The back of the torpedo drops off and out flips a large white flag with the words "BANG!"

The Reaper shakes it's head and goes off in search for something less annoying.
    Mission accomplished!
    Or:
    A jet black torpedo.
    With a white Skull and Crossbones printed menacingly across the warhead.
    A yellow and black radiation label is emblazoned on its side.
    You know that this Torpedo means danger.
    You fire the beast and watch as it launches away from you - an ominous green glow emanating from the rear, a huge growling rumble thundering in its wake.
    The torpedo hits a Reaper, a direct strike to the leviathan's forehead and...
    The back of the torpedo drops off and out flips a large white flag with the words "BANG!"

The Reaper shakes it's head and goes off in search for something less annoying.
    Mission accomplished!

End of game rewards?
  • archimedes200archimedes200 United States Join Date: 2016-09-28 Member: 222666Members
    And the best thing about a flash-bang... There becomes a second use for crashfish powder. Would really be nice to have more than one single use for it. I suppose one could build a locker full of back-up welders...

and Magnesium
    I'm not sure about repeatability for crashfish powder. It's definitely one of the more annoying things to get.

Salt is easy- just have a bunch of thermal gens on a vent powering a MFR fulla desalinators. Though technically you'd want phosphorus, but whatever.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure about repeatability for crashfish powder. It's definitely one of the more annoying things to get.

Salt is easy- just have a bunch of thermal gens on a vent powering a MFR fulla desalinators. Though technically you'd want phosphorus, but whatever.

well real flashbangs usually use Magnesium so ones in Subnautica could do the same
    Stasis rounds are definitely just as good as flashbangs, and much cheaper to manufacture. Maybe if it was much shorter and easier to make at the beginning of the game, there would be a larger incentive for the stasis rifle. Perhaps a flare and some lubricant?