This game is unplayable (reg issues)

InsignificanceInsignificance Canada Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205080Members
I moved in the last month and since changing internet providers this game has become unplayable. The only difference has been my internet connection changed. I am using wired to the router and have full 100/10. All game settings are the same.
I am constantly getting bit by skulks not even looking at me, and shooting shots that do no damage.
I have not done too much testing on aliens, but it feels like I need to be insanely accurate with bites for them to land
Here are frames of the exact moment I take damage (I used VLC to go frame by frame until my hp drops or dmg indicators show)

I was at around 70ms ping this game, skulk was at 40ms
zvpng33v36ts.png
l9umt8c016vb.png
oter4qslo5nd.png
I was less than 100 ping
bt5t5ekz0600.png
I was around 80ms ping, skulk was at 130ms
ilq6mpmuzcyy.png
4zjhm9jkbny1.png

Comments

• WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I had 30+% packet loss tonight from my ISP, with 19ms (that is to say: delightfully low) latency to the game server (hard-wired, like yourself -- no wifi). The gameplay experience was horrible, and the game was not at all at fault. In fact, the game's net_stats console command showed me the "Average Sent" loss percentage, which helped me discover that my problem was with my network, not with the game itself. After speaking with my ISP tonight, an ISP technician is scheduled to visit my residence soon to address my intermittent packet loss. If you don't know how to measure packet loss, I'd create a thread asking for help with that specifically. You might be suffering from a networking problem with scope far beyond the game.
  • InsignificanceInsignificance Canada Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205080Members
    edited September 2016
    I pinged diamondgamers.net 300 times through command line
    https://i.imgur.com/TMnNB8U.png
    I have no problems in overwatch

And that is not the first time I have tested for packet loss
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    Given that this is a new development and has not always been I highly recommend you instead make a technical support post. Please follow these instructions on how to do so properly.
    Please also read these instructions on how to objectively test hitreg. This may be useful if you make a technical support thread.
    I pinged diamondgamers.net 300 times through command line
    https://i.imgur.com/TMnNB8U.png
    I have no problems in overwatch

And that is not the first time I have tested for packet loss
    This does sound like a network issue. Your command prompt clearly shows that you have no packet loss while outside of game. Maybe something else is happening while in game to cause packet loss. You might want to type "net_stats" in console and look for "average sent" and "average received" and see if there is loss while you are gaming. This might help find the issue.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2016
    I have moved your thread into the technical support section.

As @Nordic said, keep recording more games like this, but do so with net_stats entered into your console (~ key)
    This will show loss % and could be why you are having issues.

ALSO, net_stats will show the tickrate.. and certain servers (including that one you linked) are suffering from massive performance issues lately because they are being used as a test bed to collect issues for linux servers.
    In other words.. record the same data you did, but this time with net_stats enabled for everyone to look at.

You should always have 0% loss and 30 tickrate.
    Anything else, and you're going to run into these issues.
    It could be your internet, or it could be the server you chose tonight.