Is Ultra Wide 21:9 3440 x 1440 resolution supported in NS2?

VVisdomVVisdom Rush, NY Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188948Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm considering a new monitor and looking to see if a NS2 developer or anyone in the general community knows if a Ultra Wide 21:9 3440 x 1440 resolution is supported?

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes, technically it is supported. However, it's possible not all the UI elements will scale correctly to that resolution. Also, you will take a significant performance impact running at that high a resolution (likely in the neighborhood of ~48% slower than 1080p).
  • tvaxtvax Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238594Members
    edited March 2018
    Allow me to use this already existing thread. I have the same problem. Using mt ultrawide 3440x1440 resolution i have this gish eye effect, tried messing with FoV but nothing appears to work.

Here are the screenshots:
    20180227002941_1.jpg
    20180227002944_1.jpg

I'm on the same place, just looked to the left and it can clearly shows how the powerthing go so much more bigger thant it is suppose to be.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2018
    Hi @tvax This distortion is actually correct. It is working as intended. It may seem strange that things would stretch out at the edges of the screen like this, so I've drawn a diagram to help illustrate why this works.
    uH4VpWu.png

Pretty much every 3d renderer (as well as real cameras!) draw images by refracting the image through the focal point and onto a rectangular image plane. This means that areas of the image further away from the focal point (eg the corners of the rectangle) will be more stretched out. The only way to counteract this is to project onto a different shape, like a cylinder or a section of a sphere. That may work in real life, but unfortunately that's not currently possible to do in a 3d game engine -- the hardware doesn't support this.

If this isn't occurring in other games, it's possible you're just not noticing it because the field of view the other games allow isn't as high as what NS2 allows. Also, the way FOV is calculated may differ. For example, NS2 tries to hold the vertical field of view constant, while making the horizontal field of view flexible. This means that the wider the screen, the more information you see on the left and right sides. Now, what other games might try to do instead is hold the horizontal field of view constant, which means that if you expand the width of your viewing area (monitor), then you'll see less and less on the top and bottom of the screen. Another technique might be that they hold diagonal FOV constant, and calculate horizontal and vertical FOV values from that.